SIG Talk banner

Argh, why I hate Dad’s tack driver MkII 22/45

377 10
Shot it in his honor yesterday at tin cans, clay pigeons, remains of clay pigeons, remains of remains of clay pigeons, and other small objects. Distances were 25 and 50 yards. Has a TacLite barrel out of Boise. If I did my part, it was hit after hit with cruddy Federal bulk ammo of 40g roundnose lead (RNL).

The joy of its amazing accuracy turned into the horror of reassembly after cleaning. Usually I can get the mainspring housing and hammer strut dance correct on the second or fourth try.

Not this time. Housing closed and latched. Pin went through bolt, bolt slid back, but won’t return. Spring atop bolt must’ve gotten cockeyed somehow in reassembly. Futzing with slide release and/or hand pressure and bolt closes.

OK let’s take it apart and try again. Uh, nope. Maddening part is take paper clip, open lever on back of grip and while it fully extends outward and begins to come out of the grip, the small tab at the very bottom won’t clear the grip to swing assembly free. This makes it impossible to pull down on assembly to get it out of bolt hole and remove the bolt.

This is why I love my Mk IV 22/45. Push button, rotate upper forward, separate from lower, remove bolt, done. Reverse to reassemble.

Yes, I’ve looked at many YT videos on reassembling the Mk II 22/45, but that sucker is jammed tight. May have to slink over to LGS tomorrow or Sat. and plead for help. 😳
Reactions: hauki
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have Mk III 22/45s and a IV. The IV is no doubt a great design upgrade. But as E.Shell mentioned gotta get the strut just right. Practice is all I can suggest. And once in a while it all goes back together and the bolt hangs on the hammer (not all the way flat) and won’t retract. Disassemble and repeat.

BTW Volquartsen makes a little plate for the metal frame Marks that forces the strut into position. Best $10 I‘ve spent.

I like the TacSol uppers for the same reason OP likes his. However the tight chambers can make ammo finnicky. I carry a bore snake and some Hoppes for when they start BFJ during a match.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, I can’t get the mainspring housing to swing free of the slot in the grip. Weirdest thing ever. Pin is through hole in bolt. Lever in grip pivots out just fine. Mainspring housing comes out about 3/4 of the distance it needs to travel. Then small tab at very bottom of housing for some reason won’t clear the slot in grip, blocking main housing from completely pivoting free. I can’t figure out where that tab is hanging up or why.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is the mainspring housing all the way up into the receiver on its pin? Sometimes if it's down a hair it's hard to tell and the mainspring housing won't want to rotate in or out. And when you go to reassemble the pistol try pointing it up and pulling the trigger to get the hammer strut lined up with the mainspring. The MK II's and III's can be a PIA.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Is the mainspring housing all the way up into the receiver on its pin? Sometimes if it's down a hair it's hard to tell and the mainspring housing won't want to rotate in or out. And when you go to reassemble the pistol try pointing it up and pulling the trigger to get the hammer strut lined up with the mainspring. The MK II's and III's can be a PIA.
I fight and fight with my MK2 and then, finally it just goes. I like the MK2 but they are a pain to reassemble. MK4’s are sooo much easier
Wood Gun accessory Rectangle Air gun Gun barrel

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I never liked any of the 22/45 line. I will stick with the original design. I prefer the MK II (or earlier) the MK III is great as well. I have been trying to find a MK II with a 10" or longer Bull Barrel.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, pin is fully set into bolt. Going to play with my AR this morning and will try futzing with MkII later. Will resist urge to put that infernal .22 pistol downrange and have it with multiple rounds of 5.56. 🤣

1 - 11 of 11 Posts