SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Wow, what excellent information here!

Yes, the spring looks like it's binding on the rod and it's hard to separate from the rod.

I ordered a grayguns guide rod, the stainless one. For laughs, I got a Sprinco guide rod as well and will try to polish my stock guide rod.

Ordered some Wolff 17lb springs, but I'll order the flat springs from Midway as well and see which one works.

Finally, I'll contact Sig and see if they will send me another spring.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Member Dan's SIGs reported that some of the "lighter blue" springs were wound around too small of a mandrel.

The Painted "end" only should be tight to the rod, the "reason" it goes against the Guide Rod's flange. The coils should move freely over the rod itself.

Reactions: Superzuki

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Yes, the spring looks like it's binding on the rod and it's hard to separate from the rod.
The spring's colored end is a little narrower and was designed to bind to the guide rod. That's NORMAL. In the old days when springs were not colored, we just know to insert the narrow end first onto the guide rod.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I cannot speak for the P229, as the only one I had I purchased new. But I do own 2 CPO P226 and they have been flawless. I am 99% they had new springs in them, or they sat in a locker their whole life. Call CS, I am sure they will make it right.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't have the answer other than try a new spring.

My real questions is where does one buy these CPO guns? Never heard of them. I'm just now coming out of my cave..... Thank you very much.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tous is wonderful stuff, thank you!

Is 19# still you go to?

I am still using the 19#. I have the 17# in my ever growing spare parts bin. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 17# but the recoil impulse feels "right" to me with the 19#. Brass still ejects 10 feet away and I have since fired probably 300 rds of a mix of ammo including reloads and it has been flawless.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My real questions is where does one buy these CPO guns? Never heard of them. I'm just now coming out of my cave..... Thank you very much.
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned, meaning Sig takes pre-owned guns (usually from LE), and refurbishes them inside and out with new parts. CPO's guns are shipped in red cardboard boxes with the Sig Sauer logo, and come with an extra mag, a lock, manual, and maybe a plastic paddle holster. They're sold at a discount but worth every penny IMO. Sig gives a one-year warranty on their CPO guns.

CPO's are out there, but you have to look. Before C-19 hit us, CDNN Sports were selling CPO Red Box Sigs every week (P225, P220, and P226). Recoil Gunworks also sells CPO's on occasion.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Guns, cars, computers, guitars, cameras and more. Buying new doesn't always guarantee a perfect product. It simply guarantees new packaging. I'd wager everyone on here has at one time or another purchased a new item and met with a lemon.

Similarly, I have bought "used" or "refurbished" all of the above, and I've been extremely pleased with having purchased a quality item, often with a warranty, and never had an issue. In some cases, a little "freshening up" may be needed, but putting new strings on a guitar is minor compared to the cost difference between new and used!

Basically, SIG is standing behind their red box items. And as one who had to send a NEW pistol back to them for work, I'd have no qualms about buying a red box gun.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow, what excellent information here!

I ordered a grayguns guide rod, the stainless one. For laughs, I got a Sprinco guide rod as well and will try to polish my stock guide rod.

Ordered some Wolff 17lb springs, but I'll order the flat springs from Midway as well and see which one works.

I have a P229 CPO that has the exact same recoil spring. Before I took it to the range for the first time I switched to a Grayguns guide rod. Was difficult to install the recoil spring, very tight fit.

My CPO ran fine with 357 SIG but is definitely not as smooth as other 229s I have or have had. I think because I was shooting 357 SIG and had switched the guide rod I had no feeding issues. I have not tried with the .40 barrel yet and will conjecture that I would have some issues with reliability unless I changed out the recoil spring.

So, all that being said I think you are headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
695 Posts
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned, meaning Sig takes pre-owned guns (usually from LE), and refurbishes them inside and out with new parts. CPO's guns are shipped in red cardboard boxes with the Sig Sauer logo, and come with an extra mag, a lock, manual, and maybe a plastic paddle holster. They're sold at a discount but worth every penny IMO. Sig gives a one-year warranty on their CPO guns.

CPO's are out there, but you have to look. Before C-19 hit us, CDNN Sports were selling CPO Red Box Sigs every week (P225, P220, and P226). Recoil Gunworks also sells CPO's on occasion.
The CPO market really seemed to shift prior to COVID. For the most part, CDNN increasingly chose to auction fresh CPO units on GB while allowing its existing CPO supply to dwindle on its own site. And we started to notice crazy bid prices for those auctions. I don’t know if the shift was permanent nor if it mostly resulted from a reduced volume of CPOs from Sig and / or a high mix of “rare” CPO’s. Whatever the reason, the initial tightening of the CPO market seemed to predate March.

Perhaps Sig just slowed its certification activity and the timing hit just as purchases were increasing in an election year, Sig was trimming its 2020 catalog of many new models, COVID, etc. It’s hard to pinpoint exact timing and causes but hopefully a volume of fresh, “normal” $500’ish CPO 220’s, 226’s and 229’s will return.

But, I tired of waiting and just bought a 220 LEO trade-in that I then converted from DAK! It certainly would have been smarter to have bought a DA/SA CPO last fall when they were more plentiful. I’m very happy with my purchase and liked the project - but it was a long walk around a small tree.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Weird question, where do you buy redbox Sigs? from their website, LGS, GB? Someplace else...

Curious as the only my Surplus M17 came as a used SIG, and those are in plain cardboard boxes (although there might be a red label, I can't remember...)

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Weird question, where do you buy redbox Sigs? from their website, LGS, GB? Someplace else...

Curious as the only my Surplus M17 came as a used SIG, and those are in plain cardboard boxes (although there might be a red label, I can't remember...)

Thanks
I got mine P229 on CDNN around May-ish. They aren't around right now but might come back. I bought a LEO trade in, non-CPO P226 from Tombstone Tactical in April. Other sites like AIM Surplus and Kings Firearms Online had them, but I think CDNN was a major source.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You can search for Sig CPO on GB and find listings. Again, it’s quite slim now. You could also try a general google search with that phrase. I do the same using “police trade”. Some of the hits are for out-of-stock listings (because gun retailers can’t / won’t clean up their sites). But you’ll quickly get acquainted with the retailers who prioritize that type of inventory and you may spot an odd listing for an LGS that received a few items.

Be careful, I occasionally see an ad for a “red box” Sig that is instead a re-sale of a CPO unit that had already been purchased, used and traded in. Such is merely a used Sig that comes with a red cardboard box. No existing warranty. It may still be in great shape and a good buy, but the ad is a bit misleading.

·
Registered
720 Posts
...For the most part, CDNN increasingly chose to auction fresh CPO units on GB while allowing its existing CPO supply to dwindle on its own site. And we started to notice crazy bid prices for those auctions. I don’t know if the shift was permanent nor if it mostly resulted from a reduced volume of CPOs from Sig and / or a high mix of “rare” CPO’s. ....
Yep. Prices of CPO's these days are crazy as a mad-hatter:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877799906

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877225164

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I got the Sprinco guide rod. It's a lot thinner than the stock guise rod and it's a thing of beauty. Got the spring off the stock guide rod with some hassle and it slipped right over the new Sprinco guide.

Felt good, a little tight and took a bit of effort to lock back the slide. Had the same "effect" as the DPM guide rod I installed on a Springfield XD.

Function test worked fine. I don't expect it to bind to the rod now. Will take to the range this week and put some rounds down the pipe.

I hand polished the stock guide rod and put it away. Gray guns rod coming next and Wolff springs as well.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Call sig C/S and talk to them. Bought my 229 CPO several yeaers ago and it has been flawless with he exception of a couple of operator errors.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

try this first ^^^^^ before you spend $$$ in after market stuff, send Sig also the pic with the rod and spring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My observations related to the initial topic of this thread

I initially thought there was a problem with the recoil spring after seeing the photo of a compressed spring on the guide rod. However, I found this discussion interesting enough to dig out two P229 .40 S&W pistols to check their recoil spring fit.

I observed the same thing on both of my pistols. The springs were very tight on the guide rod and the coils were partially compressed. I measured the diameter of each guide rod to be about 0.330", which seems to be consistent with information I found in other posts.

One of the pistols was purchased new and still has the blue paint on the spring. So I knew it was the correct spring. The other pistol was purchased used and the paint was gone, but it was the same length and had the same number of coils as the other spring.

I re-assembled both pistols with a plan of observing how the spring slides over the guide rod while manually forcing the barrel forward in the slide. However, I observed something interesting before attempting to slide the barrel forward. The spring was now loose along the entire length of the guide rod.

It appears the inside diameter of the spring increases when compressed and it no longer drags on the guide rod. The same was observed on both pistols.

So the initial conclusion many of us made after seeing the photo of a compressed spring on the guide rod may not be valid once the spring is installed in the slide assembly.

JackJack can you try this with your original recoil spring and guide rod to see you experience the same effect?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts