SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a P226 and a P229 this year, both in .40 S&W. The P226 which was just sold as a used PD trade in, I stripped, replaced all springs and reassembled. The P229 was a red box refurm model, and I just stripped and cleaned and lubed it, assuming it had all new springs.

Took both to the range for the first time. The P226 was flawless and ate the ball and JHP ammo I fed it, around 50 or so.

The P229 had a series of double feed jams. I pulled the trigger and no bang, not sure if it was out of battery and would let the hammer drop. I assumed a broken FP spring at first. The recoil spring is funky that it is a lot longer than the guide rod, but I guess that's normal.

Should I assume springs are new on a redbox and look for other causes? I just had one mag with me, are redbox mag springs replaced?

The P226 is a warhorse and veryaccurate. Haven't even started with 357 sig barrel yet

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Can't speak on that other than to say my Red Box 226 .357 has ate 400 rounds since I got it cheap earlier this year. Did nothing to it except wipe it down and oil after shooting it.

Since testing it, it sits in a bolted down lock box in my work truck with 2 extra mags & a bravo OWB holster.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My only experience with a Sig CPO was a 516 that I bought a few years ago. It was indistinguishable from a new one and has run perfectly ever since.

·
Registered
14,478 Posts
The Red Box is a Certified Previous Owned Sig Pistol. Sig Has hone over the pistol and has replaced the necessary parts and it has a one year warranty. There are numerous Members on Sigtalk, Myself included that have purchased them. I've not had any problems with mine which btw is a P229 German frame in 357Sig Mine looks new/. As someone said maybe the recoil Spring is the culprit. Could be that an incorrect one was installed during the refurb by the Sig shop.

·
Premium Member
10,216 Posts
It's likely the recoil spring, since Sig has had problems with finding a local contractor, to make the twisted/braided wire springs. It would be interesting to see which spring your P229 .40 S&W has... "Light Blue" paint was US braided Manufacture, "Dark Blue" was European braided manufacture. Single "round" wire was Wolff (US) manufacture, and currently they also have a "flat" wire spring.

Of course, as with any "new" or "CPO" firearm, they need to be cleaned and lubricated before use, as they have "preservatives" on them to protect against corrosion, rather than lubricant, for "operation". Magazines can even have "preservatives" on them, but need no "lubricant".

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine looked brand new and ran great but the recoil spring was a mess after just 2 range visits. No failures but it would have been just a matter of time. I put in a 19# from wolf in my 229 40 and it has been flawless. It will even cycle and run ammo other guns balk at.

·
Registered
719 Posts
To the OP, definitely contact Sig, and use the warranty. I have CPO guns from Sig, and never a problem at all, but as well all know, a lemon can get past quality control at times (we're all human). Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I got two CPO "like new" 229's recently, and while the guns were overall in good condition, both had unserviceable recoil springs that needed to be replaced . . .

·
Registered
613 Posts
to make the twisted/braided wire springs.
They started to have issues with that type years back when the spring wires started breaking. they eventually stopped using them. One local department using the P229 357 Sig was eating them up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here is the spring, did I put it on backwards?

Looking at it from the front, it looks deformed a bit.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have gotten three Red Box Sigs (225 A-1, 320 FS, Tacops 1911 .45).

All were cosmetically and mechanically like new.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Looking at it from the front, it looks deformed a bit. ..
It's positioned correctly, but the recoil spring looks too short.

I have a P229 in 40/357, and the spring is much longer. Like yours, mine has a total of 10 coils. But, the seventh coil is at the end of the rod with 3 coils extending beyond the rod. My spring is a Sig OEM part.

Yours looks really compressed. I think you have the wrong spring.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

Looking at it from the front, it looks deformed a bit.

There is something wrong with that spring. Way to compressed. When you remove it from the rod does it go back to full length? Is it binding on the rod? Is your guide rod cleaned and properly lubricated?

It should be much longer and ride smooth on the guide rod.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is something wrong with that spring. Way to compressed. When you remove it from the rod does it go back to full length? Is it binding on the rod? Is your guide rod cleaned and properly lubricated?

It should be much longer and ride smooth on the guide rod.
Thanks, even cleaned and lubed, the spring is tight on the rod. I heard there are two diameter guide rods that are different by .0005 inch. Could this be the cause?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've purchased a couple of CPO Redbox weapons. As others have stated, clean, lube and no problems. I have extra 229 guide rods if you need one. On another note, I have a Redbox P320 X-Full coming Saturday to my FFL. I'll range it and let you know if I have issues. I'm thinking not due to their track record, but who knows. For Willard; Yes I went to the dark side and purchased a striker Sig. I couldn't beat the price.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Thanks, even cleaned and lubed, the spring is tight on the rod. I heard there are two diameter guide rods that are different by .0005 inch. Could this be the cause?

When you remove the spring from the rod how long is it compared to the photo?

I would contact Sig and let them know and show them that picture. If the pistol isn’t under warranty, I would just get a new guide rod (aftermarket ideally, Grayguns) and even a new spring.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's positioned correctly, but the recoil spring looks too short.

I have a P229 in 40/357, and the spring is much longer. Like yours, mine has a total of 10 coils. But, the seventh coil is at the end of the rod with 3 coils extending beyond the rod. My spring is a Sig OEM part.

Yours looks really compressed. I think you have the wrong spring.
Mine were deformed such they bound on the guide rod. Take the spring off, and the length was OK (but it was a pita to get off). Once installed, they were undersize enough to bind on the rods and not fully extend. Tried a Wolf spring, but fit was sloppy enough to need some fiddling to initially get the slide to rack. Went to the Sig flat wire spring and perfect fit and function . . .

To the OP the color, etc looks correct, but between the uneven coil spacing and scratches on the guide rod, I'll bet it is binding. One of the issues with the US made wire springs was exactly this - being undersized . . . (IE, it's *NOT* a guide rod problem!)

It should come off the guide rod with minimal force, and only have any degree of snugness in the end coils on the colored end.

Sig replaced my spring no questions asked, although I gotta admit I paid for the second one, since it wasn't worth the price of the part to be on hold waiting for CS that long. I assume that this is 40/357Sig, and if so, Midway recently had tbe correct spring in stock (just note that the reviews were carried over from tbe old spring, and do not apply to tbe current flat wire spring that they are shipping).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Wow, what excellent information here!

Yes, the spring looks like it's binding on the rod and it's hard to separate from the rod.

I ordered a grayguns guide rod, the stainless one. For laughs, I got a Sprinco guide rod as well and will try to polish my stock guide rod.

Ordered some Wolff 17lb springs, but I'll order the flat springs from Midway as well and see which one works.

Finally, I'll contact Sig and see if they will send me another spring.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts