SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Research says yes. My inspection says looks like it isn't phosphate. My call to Sig surprised me as the gentleman said "nothing special" about legion mags and that they only came in black! You can imagine my confusion. As a new member, let me know your thoughts. While 3 15 rounders generous, can't have enough mags as they say and I try to keep at least one original clean and unused. Wish Sig would beef up their product line in the Legion. Given the way they marketed things I was expecting a newsletter weekly. For those of us that like the additional gear etc., Sig should know we are waiting. As a new member thanks to you all for some good reading.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
Research says yes. My inspection says looks like it isn't phosphate. My call to Sig surprised me as the gentleman said "nothing special" about legion mags and that they only came in black! You can imagine my confusion. As a new member, let me know your thoughts. While 3 15 rounders generous, can't have enough mags as they say and I try to keep at least one original clean and unused. Wish Sig would beef up their product line in the Legion. Given the way they marketed things I was expecting a newsletter weekly. For those of us that like the additional gear etc., Sig should know we are waiting. As a new member thanks to you all for some good reading.
Welcome to Sig Talk from the southwestern corner of neighboring Indiana!
The Legion magazines are no different than any of the others, that I am aware of. Besides, the PVD finish would probably get scarred up by the magazine catch, just as the blued or phosphate coatings do anyway. Seeing as how you have stated that you have read some of the banter here, you will no doubt know that both Checkmate and Mec-Gar manufacture magazines for Sig Sauer. I have yet to see Checkmate offer any Sig magazines under their own "logo". It is believed there is a non-competitive clause in their contract. Meg-Gar does offer magazines under their own logo, slightly different in capacity.
If you are interested in getting more magazines, many vendors run sales from time to time, and members normally post notices here.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
If you are concerned about magazine finish, I'd suggest never putting them in your gun.:lol: The finish on my 3 Legion magazines (which are the standard black Checkmate mags), got very worn after one range trip and 100 rounds. The finish they put on magazines is nowhere near as tough as the finish on pistols, even the Legions cruddy PVD. As for keeping one of your 3 magazines unused, of course it's up to you, but it's a waste of a good magazine IMHO. Magazines can take a lot of use and a lot of neglect and still work great. If I only had 3 magazines, I'd just enjoy and use them all, with a little bit of maintenance every now and then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess my point is that the Legion should come with matching mags. A gun store insider told me that he knows of cases where Legion mags switched out when they come in. I'm not concerned about wear, just having mags that match in color and finish, regardless of any problems. A great mag seller said that what comes with Legions is all over the place. Someone with SIG really needs to look into this and I think big market for replacement mags that have same color and PVD coating regardless of shortcomings. This reminds me of the Taurus Curve (sorry folks) where you couldn't get ANY spare mags for a gun that requires a specific mag. If SIG expects this brand to go far, they need to add products, fix the unpainted areas inside mag well, and offer us additional mags of the same color and finish for those of us wanting. I was sad not to get the discount code for 20% as that has apparently vanished. Anyone know how to forward my concerns to SIG. I thank everyone for reading. Great group of people.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Matching PVD coated Legion 229 mags. Both in color and finish in my pistol made in late February 2017. So they exist. Can someone help me folllow up?
Now I see what you're getting at. Those P229-1 magazines are not "Legion magazines", and their coloring has nothing to do with the Legion line...they have been around a lot longer than Legion pistols. The 229-1 magazines come both in that medium gray color and a darker gray. You can always simply call and ask the sales rep for the lighter color when you buy some more. Most folks find them less desirable because the lighter gray ones are made by Checkmate, and most people prefer MecGar. I've had good luck with my Checkmate magazines and don't sweat it, personally.

I'm not aware of any company that goes out of their way to match a magazine color with a pistol. That seems to be asking a lot. I've got P226 magazines in everything from blued, to black, to greenish gray, to light gray, etc, all from the factory. In my experience the new black powder coated Checkmate finish wears by far the fastest. The finish on those medium gray 229-1 magazines is actually halfway decent. But I honestly couldn't care less about my magazines finish.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow up: while picture hard to get, here's the other two mags that came with Legion p229, all match finish of gun. In the end I guess it really doesn't matter but these are the facts. Produced in late Feb. 2017, at least that's the sticker date. I've read elsewhere more than once that the mags come in same Legion gray with PVD coating. I'm going to look that up too. With the prior quality control apparent issues, I wonder if they just supply what they have on hand. I have all the other mentioned mags for my MK-25 in all those colors etc. so when I received this I thought all was way I imagined. The reason I generally keep a clean mag is IF I would ever sell, I think it would, maybe, bring a better price. However, this one and the matching mags ain't going anywhere. Thanks for the info. Just bringing this to attention of folks that might be due these mags!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to clarify, the one mag is catching a bit of light, all are as dark as the gun and the feel, color etc. same as finish on the P229 Legion in the case. Sort of would like to know why the one gentleman believed these mags couldn't come with the Legion?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Just to clarify, the one mag is catching a bit of light, all are as dark as the gun and the feel, color etc. same as finish on the P229 Legion in the case. Sort of would like to know why the one gentleman believed these mags couldn't come with the Legion?
I didn't say they could not have come with them. I said I did not believe they did. If they did, then I certainly now believe it. I have seen many unusual things from Sig. Changing mag finishes is TOTALLY possible. Are they marked "Made in Italy" or "Made in USA"? My USA Made Checkmate 224 mags are roughly "Legion-ish" in color.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.