SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone post some links for AR newbs. I would like to get one in the future but know nothing about them other than how to shoot one. Different brands....accessories.....how does one begin to start learning besides watching Youtube videos and hoping they are truely knowedgeable.

·
Registered
183 Posts
+ 1 for me

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, pretty much all the main hangun players have an AR platform (including Sig)
Imo Rock River is the way to go but that is just my opinion only.

I would suggest going to local gun shops and actually holding one and seeing how it feels for you.

As for accessories such as grips, stocks, scopes etc well it will depend much on your price range. I personally use magpul, and on one of my AR's I have an EOtech 512 scope and the other has a Meprolight 21M. Again, I am not saying they are the best but my local gunshop let me play with those in store and I liked them. (I also have an EOtech 512 on my Saiga AK-47 as well)

Do not be afraid of the maintenance on them either. They are not difficult to disassemble and clean, and I was just noticing the other day that their ammo costs were coming back down as well. Back to under a buck a round for the good stuff.

Anyways, look at some reviews online, take into consideration how much you can spend and have fun. The AR platform is one of my favorites to shoot!

Also, make sure to have an actual gun safe for it by the time you buy your rifle. Last thing we need is for your new AR to end up in the hands of someone who has no business having it! This is something ALL gunowners need to make their #1 law. Even ahead of all guns are to be considered loaded at all times.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check out a couple of AR forums. Tons of good info for newbs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ruger makes a good gas piston AR. Windham Weaponry (Formerly Bushmaster) has some great ARs and aren't too expensive. I think DPMS has some of the nicest .308 ARs for the money also.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Sigtalker,Do any friends have one by chance? if so maybe you could get with him.All here have supplied you with the best of advice.Go to a gun show too ,if any are in the area and as one other poster said,put your hands on some see what feels good,,it will eventually come down to personal preference .The brands the boys have expressed here are great, you wont go wrong with any of those, there are so many others, a lot to look at ,but thats 1/2 the fun, picking out what feels and looks good to you and then there's your pocket and prices. That you might want to keep from the Mrs depending on what you spend. Good luck w/your choice,once you come into the arena of Black rifles you ask your self -why didnt I do this sooner!!:shoot:

·
Registered
14 Posts
As far as AR's go... there are DI and Gas piston variants and there are 3 factors you should consider:

1-What is legal in your state?
2-What will you use it for?
3-What is your budget?

I have both DI(Direct impingement) and Gas pistons, each have pros and cons. DI's are generally cheaper, serious aftermarket support, and come in a bunch of different variants. Piston driven systems are usually heavier due to the fact that a physical rod that pushes the bolt back while a DI uses spent gas however piston systems are more reliable and easier to maintain. If you want a recommendation from me, I'd say look at a Daniel Defense DDM4. If that's too much then Bravo Company, Palmetto State Armory, and several others are fantastic choices for DI. LWRC, POF, HK, PWS make serious Piston systems but range from $1800 and up.

Here's my Gas Piston POF:

Here's my DI Bushmaster XM15 lower w/Bravo company upper:

I would never recommend a Bushmaster as mine had serious bolt problems but the lower runs fine. The trigger guard has been installed since this pic was taken. Accessories are hit or miss throughout the mass of parts you can purchase. I tend to stick to HK for most of my accessories as I genuinely believe they make a good product even though their grips are made by Tango Down. Smith and AAC make great flash suppressors and muzzle brakes, the difference between the two is more of a preference thing.

For optics I use EoTech and ACOG. I had an Elcan SpecterDR 1x-6x and that was the best glass I've ever owned but didn't have a need for a $5k optic. Aimpoints are rugged, have great battery life and can be used to co witness iron sites or use independently. EoTech have a better eye relief and being it's a holographic site... you can shatter the glass and the red dot will still illuminate on whatever glass is still intact. I prefer the XPS line because they only use one CR123 battery, they're light, and compact. I hope this helped you out a little, if you have questions just PM me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Read, read, read. AR15.com is a good source for info, but can also be opinionated. Look at warranty info, some only offer a year or two, buy one with a lifetime warranty. You will have to decide options, ie: barrel twist and length, chrome lined or not, sight/optics options and lastly looks/appearance.

Good luck!

·
Registered
749 Posts
what are ya looking to do with it ?? paper shooter ,, steal shooter ,, comp . precision shooting ? hunting or just toying ,, are ya wanting a 556 or a 308 .. myself I got a lmt 308 its a beast !! and I love it

·
Registered
749 Posts
the biggest thing to remember when shooting on the ar platform is not like shooting a bolt gun ..Meaning that if you have weak shooting fundamentals which the bolt gun is forgiving, unlike the ar it will highlite your weak points , thats if you are shooting for precision it just takes time to get use to once you do they are great

·
Registered
544 Posts
What does that mean in practical terms and in reliability?

What makes the 516 better?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
749 Posts
the main disadvantage of a direct impingement is that the breech of the firearm becomes fouled more quickly.. in which it requires thorough and frequent cleaning to insure reliability

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sigtalker,Do any friends have one by chance? if so maybe you could get with him.All here have supplied you with the best of advice.Go to a gun show too ,if any are in the area and as one other poster said,put your hands on some see what feels good,,it will eventually come down to personal preference .The brands the boys have expressed here are great, you wont go wrong with any of those, there are so many others, a lot to look at ,but thats 1/2 the fun, picking out what feels and looks good to you and then there's your pocket and prices. That you might want to keep from the Mrs depending on what you spend. Good luck w/your choice,once you come into the arena of Black rifles you ask your self -why didnt I do this sooner!!:shoot:
No friends that have rifles. But I will attend some gun shows and gun stores to get a feel like mentioned. Is there some that have more accessory choices or are all of them easily accessorized?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts