SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mrs. slayer wants an AR-7 for the bug out box/**** (stupid editor... S*H*T*F*) box.

Anybody got experience with them?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have two of them and love them both. Bought my first one (silver in color) the day I turned 18 and the newer black model (as you show) a couple years ago. I have used, abused, carried, and killed a lot of ground hogs with these little rifles. I have carried one in my vehicle since the day I turned 18 and never left home without it. Only just recently retired them for the Springfield M6 Scout rifle that I was gifted. I like having the option of a 22 rifle and a 410 shotgun in one compact little rifle.

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Intriguing...But I have no experience with them. I've got a little Ruger 10/22 Takedown to fill that niche.

However, if Mrs Slayer wants one... you probably should just get her one.. :)

Reactions: slayer61

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have one. I love it. So much fun to shoot, easy to assemble. Lightweight. I'd recommend it. Have not had a single issue with ammo/jamming, etc. After doing a lot of reading I stuck to what was recommended, CCI has been a winner.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I was a kid, my dad had an armalite ar-7. It was a good little rifle, never had any problems with it. A few years ago a friend bought one. Even after a trip back to henry, it still never ran right.

They are neat little rifles but seem to be kind of a mixed bag.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mine is the newer one made by Henry. Purchased about two years ago. As I said, zero issues. There is quite a bit of discussion online and some people love them, some hate em. They can easily be found for $249 and usually less if you look around a bit.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Was is the AR-7 or the M6 Scout that was originally chambered in .22 Hornet when the USAF issued them?

I always thought they were both cool rifles. Our local animal control department uses the AR-7.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
Was is the AR-7 or the M6 Scout that was originally chambered in .22 Hornet when the USAF issued them?

I always thought they were both cool rifles. Our local animal control department uses the AR-7.
The "M4" was the bolt action survival rifle in .22 Hornet, that was part of Air Crew Survival Kit, IIRC...

The M6 Scout was basically its replacement, in .22 LR/.410 Bore, IIRC...

I believe the AR-7 was an Armalite entry, that wasn't selected by the Air Force, but was offered to the public, and found limited acceptance, as a survival firearm.

Attachments

Reactions: Jedi5150

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
I have the Charter Arms Explorer pistol version. Think it actually may be older than I am...:rolleyes:

I pretty much stopped taking it out because it's reached will past it's lifespan and though it does still fire, the old girl is rough and no longer "accurate".

I have literally thousands of rounds through a pistol never meant as a regular shooter.

Considering the low cost of either the rifle or pistol version today [which are far better made than my oldie] - I wouldn't hesitate to hop on another if I didn't already have "a gun" I like...:)

Buy it.

·
🎖USAF Retired
663 Posts
I owned one 40 years ago as a teenager. It was fun but I didn't have too many places to shoot it and sold it. :(

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The M6 was made in 22 Hornet/410 for the Air Force and had a 14" barrel. The later Springfield guns were made in 22lr/410, 22 magnum/410, and 22 hornet/410.

I had a Ruger 10/22 TD but sold it and kept on using the AR7 for the simple reason that it broke down smaller/more compact. It made it easier to store in a vehicle or my BUG kit that stays in my vehicle. That being said, of the three listed-AR7, M6 Scout, 10/22 TD-each has pros and cons so you have to decide what works best for you, but any of the three are great firearms

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Man, I hate when that happens.

The old girl is an Explorer II - not an Explorer.

Her she is in all her glory...:lol:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.