SIG Talk banner

Appendix vs. hip carry

7377 Views 58 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  Sauer
Just read this article in Personal Defense World on the pros and cons of appendix and hip carry postions . It's a good read and thought a few might want to read.

Appendix Carry vs. Hip Carry: Weighing the Pros and Cons
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Premium Member
18,482 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad the article did point out how to properly and safely reholster in AIWB carry. AIWB is really no less safe a carry position than behind the hip IWB carry when properly executed. As to comfort, it can take a bit of dialing in the exact position for optimum comfort, but I drive a lot carrying AIWB with no comfort issues, be it a J-frame or G19. Chocolate ice cream? Vanilla ice cream? AIWB? IWB behind the hip? All personal choices, no right or wrong answer, just what works best for you!

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad the article did point out how to properly and safely reholster in AIWB carry. AIWB is really no less safe a carry position than behind the hip IWB carry when properly executed. As to comfort, it can take a bit of dialing in the exact position for optimum comfort, but I drive a lot carrying AIWB with no comfort issues, be it a J-frame or G19. Chocolate ice cream? Vanilla ice cream? AIWB? IWB behind the hip? All personal choices, no right or wrong answer, just what works best for you!
I agree wholeheartedly. I use both positions depending on what gun I carry. Practice of reholstering safely is key in my mind. Oh and just so you know.....in this house it has to be Moosetracks or nothing at all!:lol:

Or maybe Tinroof, or Rocky Road, or.................

· Registered
763 Posts
A month or so ago, Kyle Lamb did an article in Guns and Ammo about appendix carry. He is pro. There was a letter to the editor in the most recent mag slamming him for being so reckless as to even think of suggesting it was a good way to carry. Living in the PRM, I do not have the option of EITHER, but once I get out, I will start at the 4:30 position and see if I am comfortable with it. If not, I will try AIWB. Safe handling practices need to be adhered to in either position.

· Banned
6,262 Posts
I've read similar articles, but this is a good one. I carry appendix primarily, but I do switch to 3, 5 or 6 depending on my situation. As mentioned, training and repetition are paramount for safety. Thanks for posting! One can never have too many resources from experts like Ayoob.

· Premium Member
15,856 Posts
I carry appendix, but specifically with either a Springfield XDs (grip safety) or a CZ 75D PCR (double-action). An extra little measure of safety against debris/clothing catching the trigger when holstering, as I put my thumb on the rear of the slide when inserting...which I always do slowly and while looking at the holster.

Reactions: JWA

· Banned
6,262 Posts
Here's a nice little video. Notice he does not ever look at his holster when he is reholstering. There is another video in the list to the right that goes more in depth about that.

· Banned
6,262 Posts

· Registered
3,481 Posts
You lucky skinny guys can get away with larger pistols for appendix carry . I carried a tp40 kahr for a 7 years at 2:00 with a rear cant but now a days after some hand surgery's its a p320c 40 or a s&w 669 at 3:15 in a comp-tac neutral . I'm not as quick to clear a holster but can still draw one handed and draw when sitting down with no advertised body movement and even the p320 hides under a T shirt properly fitting .

Draw fast but re-holster S L O W L Y and pay attention to what your doing .

· Registered
864 Posts
Big issue not addressed is the added complexity of getting the gun to bear on target when drawing from appendix.

Firing from retention is not an option. Also the muzzle will require to be moved laterally, sweeping laterally with increased chances of over shooting the target and sending bullets left or right (depends on hand used).

A hip position allows firing from retention and the muzzle only need to rotate up along the vertical plane, traveling from groin to head of the would be attacker. You can't "over draw" from the hip since your arm will be stopped in its upward stroke by your should joint.

Over all, much better muzzle control when drawing from the hip.

· Registered
758 Posts
It is personal preference, but also how you are built. I would love to carry appendix, but, I have a gut, and the way I am built my belt is just above the crease of my thigh and torso, so very uncomfortable to sit, anywhere forward of 3 o'clock, I just can't make it work.

Reactions: Reb

· Registered
112 Posts
Big issue not addressed is the added complexity of getting the gun to bear on target when drawing from appendix.

Firing from retention is not an option. Also the muzzle will require to be moved laterally, sweeping laterally with increased chances of over shooting the target and sending bullets left or right (depends on hand used).

A hip position allows firing from retention and the muzzle only need to rotate up along the vertical plane, traveling from groin to head of the would be attacker. You can't "over draw" from the hip since your arm will be stopped in its upward stroke by your should joint.

Over all, much better muzzle control when drawing from the hip.
This is my take on drawing from AIWB;
If I must draw, I will be, as a right hander, turning to my right as I am drawing to give the idiot a smaller target instead of face/block on.
Now the pistol is in the perfect position to be drawn from holster and fired with no lateral sweeping.

To be clear;
I do not shoot two handed facing square to the target.
My body is turned to the right at about 2:30.

Just something to think about.

· Registered
925 Posts
I like appendix carry. I use it all summer long. I have been trained on it and it is quick.

Cp226...you may be a slightly smaller target when turned to the side, but you are actually a better target if the attacker does shoot you. A double lung shot is more likely when hit from the side. Just something to think about...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
13 Posts
I pistols with a frame mounted safety for appendix carry. I know, Im a nancy, but it makes me feel better.
A thumb safety? I am new to CC but I am pretty safety conscious. It seems to me that this is probably the best way to go if you are going to appendix carry. I started carrying recently and the thumb safety is the only thing that makes me comfortable enough to put the gun upfront, especially since I am a new carrier.

I don't like to carry on my hip, it tends to dig in an I don't like is sticking out off my side. I think it would be the best drawing position though. Appendix is useful if I am worried about bending a lot because my shirt cant ride over it.

Behind my hip is a compromise on draw and concealment, but it is just as comfortable as appendix, and feels safer.

But that is just my initial impressions. I havent been carrying long at all.

· Registered
615 Posts
AIWB works best for me, I've carried from appendix to 4:00 and am pretty thin. In terms of how I approach self defense and CC, it's been the safest and quickest way for me to draw, retain control and get clear of my holster if I'm tangled up. Part of my dry practice is to deliberately look into my holster and make sure all is clear before putting the gun away, not to jam it in as fast as I drew it out.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.