SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious about how this works in real life. Could be something useful for me. Thanks in advance for your input.
Edit: I should probably mention that I have an MCX Carbine and will be shooting targets at 100-200 yds.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I run this setup on my SCAR 16s. The magnifier is on a flip to side mount so I can pop up my irons (co-witness thru the eotech) and run them if needed.

I mainly think of this as a close to mid range rifle, but I can hit consistently out to 300yds with the irons and out to 400 (with a ridiculous hold over) with the RDS and mag.

Having used an M68 CCO (aimpoint) RDS in Iraq and Afghanistan without the benefit of a magnifier and having to either use binos or borrow one of my team leaders' ACOG equipped rifles, I can say that the 3x mag is useful for target identification out to 4 or 500yds on "man" sized targets, but beyond that you might want to look into something with a bit more magnification.

Since you're looking at 1-200yd targets the 3x will be perfect if your eyes are having trouble unassisted.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had a Meprolight RDS with a Vortex 3x magnifier on my ARX. It works pretty well but it makes the gun a bit heavier than I like. Plus the Mep optic struggles to keep up with the brightness of the AZ sun. The Aimpoint PRO does not have a problem with the dot being visible BTW.

On my MCX I went with a Leupold 1x6, which I like better (both the gun and the optics setup). It weighs less overall then the RDS+magnifier on the other gun, the glass is better and overall magnification is higher.

Both work well at the 100-200 range. YMMV but I prefer having an etched reticle in case my optic goes out.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I use a Vortex 3x behind an Aimpoint PRO, a Bushnell TRS 25, and a Vortex Strikefire. I use a 1/3 cowitness height with an ADM rotating mount. The Aimpoint is the best of the lot but they all work well. I didn't find the weight all that bad. Down the road I'll be getting another magnifier.

·
Registered
432 Posts
When you hit 40+ a 10x optic puts you back to 18yo eyeballs.
Sad, but a waterfall instead of a group means you ain't seeing right.
You could also just go buy a cheapish 3-9x if you find yourself always living behind a 3-4x magnifier.
Delineate occasional from continuous if you find yourself burning a mag, fishing a group.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have the Vortex 3x magnifier.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQWTC14/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works well and is solid, but I discovered if I had it on there, I would pretty much never use my red dot without it. Might as well have an illuminated scope. So now I have the Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 on my AR-15 and the Vortex sparc2 red dot on a 45 deg offset.

I put the Vortex 3x magnifier and another Vortex red dot (sparcII) on my Ruger 10/22 Charger takedown which I pink away for fun. Fits in my range bag, works perfectly since I can take the 10/22 into the pistol range.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a Vortex 3x behind an Eotech

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I went shopping and came home with a Vortex Spitfire 3X Prism Scope. I realized I didn't want to keep adjusting my Romeo 4B for different guns so now I have 4 red dots. Thanks to everyone who replied. I think this is going to be just what I need.

·
Registered
275 Posts
ive been in the same situation lately. debating if i should add a 3x magnifier on my ACO or just go ACOG. im wondering why i see mostly 3x mag paired w a red dot when trijicons acog 4x mag was a hit with the infantry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with the above posts about buying something quality. I've use both good and bad magnifiers and have opinions on various mounts.

Today I am using a vortex which is hard to beat for the money and the warranty can't be beat. It helps for longer shots and target recognition. It's clear but don't think Schmidt and Bender clear or Leupold clear.

The factory mount is good so far. Time will tell how it holds up... When it gets some wobble I'll likely get a larue flip up mount.

What else is nice is you can easily pull the magnifier entirely off and drop it in your pack etc if it isn't needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts