SIG Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. First post here. I have a MCX SBR and want to cut my 5.56 barrel down to 7.5 inches and run it with a can. I'd use it with bonded ammo if used for home defense, otherwise running FMJ at the range. I already have the larger diameter handguard and use it with my 9" 300BLK barrel and can. Before I cut the barrel I want to see what others are experiencing. I know a decent amount about external and terminal ballistics of this caliber. So, this question is really about reliability and experiences with this weapon setup.

1. Anyone out there using a 7.5 inch 5.56 barrel on their MCX?
2. Any problems with reliability with this setup?
3. Any additional mods need to be done, like with gas system?
4. General opinions good/bad/indifferent?

Any info and suggestions appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The sound of crickets to my question is deafening! :lol:

So, anyone running a 10.5" barrel on a Gen1 MCX with a can who can answer my original questions?

Or can you recommend another site to post my original question on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you've got room to clear the gas valve at 7.5"...have fun w/ it.

One problem with 7.5" and a can, in 223/556 is that you'll have a lot of unburnt powder leaving the muzzle. Think sand blasting. If it's only for home defense, probably not a big issue. If it's going to be a shooter, something to think about. The can probably won't be rated for that barrel length.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
7.5 inches in 5.56 is really short. You'll lose a lot of power, have a huge muzzle blast and a bunch of unburnt powder coming out the muzzle/can. 10.5 is really the shortest I'd do a 5.56. It will be more reliable and have much less muzzle blast.
.300blk was designed to give full burn in 9 inch barrels. You may be basing your hopes on that for the 5.56? The two calibers are quite different.

·
Registered
507 Posts
556 out of a 7.5" rifle, even suppressed is going to be
extremely unpleasant for you and everyone in the house.

That short of a rifle for HD IMO wouldn't be my first choice

Can't speak to the rest of the questions

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm afraid all I can offer in the way of information is that such a short barrel in 5.56 will eat up a suppressor's baffles very quickly- 10.5" eats them fast as it is. Not recommended. Very few companies warrant suppressors on 5.56 barrels shorter than 10.5".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.