SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range again today. I'm no tack driver but I shoot my XL well enough at 10-15yds open sight. I don't have a ton of experience with red dots except for a couple short sessions with my 10mm(vortex venom). I'm just not real quick at picking up the dot yet.

I have the 507K of backorder, so I can still cancel. I have the 507C in delivery for my p320.

At least on the XL I dont have to get the slide milled. I can put it on another gun if I don't like it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked one up but have not been able to practice much with it. It takes time getting used to it. Check out Colion Noir's video on red dots. It helped me understand the red dot a bit more.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don't regret getting a red dot

I'm no great shooter but I began to notice that I could not keep focus on my rear site, front site and target like I could when I was younger. I have a Romeo 1 on a P226 and another on a FNX45-T. I takes a little while to get accustomed to them but I do not regret it.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
it takes some getting used to, maybe even more for experienced shooters.

at first my problem was that my instinct was to look for the dot.
once i realized i could rely on years of muscle memory with iron sights to present the sight to me if i didn't fight my normal presentation by "looking for it", it became much easier and more natural.
repetition is the best thing i can suggest.
i use a laserlyte cartridge and a target with a timer. over and over until it becomes natural.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Just be sure to get a mounting platform that gives you some flexibility. And correct back up iron sites. Once you dial it in, it is very good, particularly if you have corrected vision. If you don't like it, you can fill in the mount with a blank plate.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I am new to the RDS and LOVE it for HD and range shooting. It took me about 3-4x playing and aiming until I really got fast with it.

I am decent as shooter with irons on target shooting. I am starting to need reading glasses to see my irons. With a RDS now, I am very good at target practice.
IMO a person can be deadly accurate with a RDS. I found this out during my rapid Fire Test at my range.
So yeah ZERO regrets and do it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have gone back and forth on this over the past 5 years. They definitely take time to get used to.

I think I am to the point where I prefer them. In my opinion they don't make one a faster shooter so much. After years of training I was very good at getting a flash sight picture. I even got very good at being focused on the target and "ghosting" the sights over top. So the rds didn't speed me up because I already had techniques developed. What it does do is allow me to be more precise, especially at longer ranges. Hitting a target at 100 yards is no longer that difficult for me.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
89 Posts
I have one mounted on a sig and I have not sold myself on it yet.

Problem is I do not know if it is the lack of quality on the site's part or if I just am not picking it up. I would love to be able to try some other makes on the same set up. By far real glass has got to be better than plastic

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Practice, dry fire, dry fire and more practice. Dry firing will establish your index and the dot will be on the same point afterwards. Don’t look at the dot (sight ficus) but instead look at the target (target focus).

Most common mistake I have seen were people looking at the dot and trying to line it up with the iron sights before firing. They work independently of each other and treat them as such.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Romeo Zero on P365XL, Romeo1 x 2 on P229 and P320 X-Carry, Romeo1 Pro on P320 X-Compact, DeltaPoint Pro on P320 X-Compact, and Swampfox Sentinel on P365.

Zero regrets on any of them, they have all functioned flawlessly, and my 62 year old eyes appreciate every one of them every time they bring that dot up on a down range target!

Reactions: clayhunter

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I've got RMR's on G17 and G45 MOS's. A Romeo1 on a full size P320RX, A P365XL with a Romeo Zero and am about to put a RMRcc on my standard P365.

I'm much better with the RDS then with Irons. In fact every time I pick up a non-rds equipped pistol I think about getting one on it.

I do co-witness my irons to be sure I have a backup. The P365 I probably won't due to both the likely close range it would be used for (God forbid I ever had to) and the occasional pocket carry implications of the silly tall front blade.

Zero regrets on any of them. I'd have a red dot sight on my iPhone camera if I could ;-)

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
9,041 Posts
I tried on for a while but could never get use to it. Had the same issue with lasers. Guess its iron sights for me. Been shooting them for over 45 years. What is it they say "can't teach an old dog new tricks".

·
Banned
89 Posts
Romeo Zero on P365XL, Romeo1 x 2 on P229 and P320 X-Carry, Romeo1 Pro on P320 X-Compact, DeltaPoint Pro on P320 X-Compact, and Swampfox Sentinel on P365.

Zero regrets on any of them, they have all functioned flawlessly, and my 62 year old eyes appreciate every one of them every time they bring that dot up on a down range target!
How do you like the Swampfox?

·
Registered
679 Posts
New shooters can probably be trained easier to be target focused with both eyes open and presenting the dot consistently.

Iron shooters who still have a tendency to 'peek' at the irons while presenting will struggle.

With a '7' now in front of my age, I went all-in on Red Dots about 4 years ago. But it took a lot of dry-fire practice to FORGET the irons completely and driving the pistol consistently toward the target the dot just appears.

Competing in local USPSA and IDPA Carry-Optics division has helped me gain confidence for SD using a dot.

No Regrets whatsoever. It's kept me in the game.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm a pretty new shooter and still getting used to handling and firing my P226.

My eyesight is not what it once was and although I've been able to get decent grouping with my P226 but my aim always seemed to be a little off.

I decided to buy the "Caliber X-Change Kit" which appealed to me because it was a complete slide with a ROMEO 1 installed on it (both original and X-Change are 9MM so no actual caliber X-Change). I also got a shroud for the ROMEO 1 to hopefully better protect it.

I received the Kit midweek and bore sighted it at home before taking a trip to the local indoor range yesterday.

For me, the improvement in my aim was obvious and it will take a little getting used to for me, but for me it has been a great upgrade.

The first target is from the local outdoor range without the ROMEO 1, the second is from yesterday at the indoor range using the ROMEO 1 for the first time.

I think I need to adjust the sight a little, but as of now I'm happy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
My one true regret on red dots was not getting a P226 RX slide last year when they were $329.
But I did get a P229RX slide so that worked out.

I picked up a 365XL slide assy and a RomeoZ and tried it out for a bit.
Didn't care for it and sold it off.

I'm still getting a red dot for my 226, I am far more accurate with a red dot these days.
Like with most things, practice a bit and it just works.

I started off pressing out in super slow motion until the dot found me, once you find the "spot" and practice a bit it just pops up.
Kind of the same thing with a red dot on a rifle, it just pops up when shouldered.

·
Registered
259 Posts
No regrets. More accurate and faster with a red dot. I have suppressor height back up sights on my Sigs and practice shooting with the red dots off just in case. The tall sights still fit in my holsters.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I cannot regret buying something I do not have or want. I live by the K.I.S.S. concept. Simplicity rules, the less things there are to break the less the potential is for failure. My fixed sights will never break. Even if the dots fade, the sights will continue to work forever.

What are you going to do after China drops an EMP over us? Your dot sight will be a really big ghost ring.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The red dot sight is the best solution for pistol shooters that have aging eyes unless they have astigmatism. For folks with astigmatism, prismatic sights may work better.

I've had good luck with Romeo1s, Romeo5s, Trijicon MROs and Aimpoints. The RMRs have a great reputation too.

I run red dots on P226s, P229s, MPX pistols and MCX pistols. They all run well as long as I keep the attachment bolts properly tightened and the battery caps secured and not cross threaded.

Bill

·
Registered
126 Posts
They take a little bit of practice at first, especially if you've only used irons in the past. I have the romeo zero and I practice with the laser bullet. Bring the gun up while looking at the target and suddenly you'll find yourself acquiring the red dot every time. I find it faster now than I did the irons, and it has improved my accuracy tremendously. I don't think you'll regret ever getting one.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts