SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first two modules were gen 2, the latest I got is a gen 1. I was a little put off at first but after using it, I actually prefer the gen 1. I have large hands and long fingers so with a thumbs forward grip, my fingers don't ride the slide release. When I do use it, I find it easier due to the lack of raised plastic all around it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
me.

i really dont like the gen 2 frames. the raised plastic shield around the slide stop makes it hard for me to manipulate the slide stop on the right hand side of the pistol. i'm a lefty so it makes a difference.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I used to collect Gen 1 frames. During my move several years ago. Two boxes where stolen. I lost my frames I had collected up until that point. Since they are getting hard to find. I only collect them for reference now.
Here is a pic of a Gen 1 frame next to one of my Gen 2's.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Seems everyone has a different idea as to what generation grip modules are which. First of all Sig does not call them Generation anything. That came from the shooting community. But for arguments sake, we will call them Gen 1, 2 and 3.

The P250 started with a Gen 1 grip (2007-2009) then went to the Gen 2 (2009 to 2016). The P320 started with a Gen 2 grip (2014-2016) and is now on the Gen 3 (2016-????).
They are not called P320 grip modules. They are called P250/P320 Grip modules. There have been three major versions or Generations.
Otherwise you would have to call them "Sig P250 Gen 3 grip module/P320 Gen 2 grip module".

Yes, the Gen 1 grips had P250 on the front dust cover. indicating that they where for the P250 only. Well so did the Gen 2 grip modules at first. Sig either did not know they where going to make another gun that used the same modularity as the P250. Or they kept the development of the P320 close to the vest very well.

Somewhere along the lines. Sig replaced the P250 mold mark on the dust cover with grip make and size. Example, COMPACT MEDIUM.

Now I said 3 major revisions. I consider the first model Carry Grip module to be a Gen 2. But, it does not have the full rail on it. It has three slots instead of the customary 4 the compact grip has or the 5 the full size has. It now appears they are making the Carry Grip modules in Gen 3 format.

The next sub category could be the Sub Compact grip module. They made this in Gen 1, and Gen 2. During the Gen 2 production, they added a version with the rail on the dust cover.

Here is a example of mold marking changes.

The one with P250 is a Early Gen 2. The one with COMPACT MEDIUM is a late Gen 2.

This is a Gen 1 grip module. They used different magazine base plates as well have having a narrower front dust cover.

Gen 1 on the left and Gen 2 on the right. See the different style rail.

This is a OD Gen 3. It has the raised Slide Release fence. Also sporting some Talon Granular grips. No mold markings on the dust cover.

This is a quick and dirty post. I didn't feel like bogging it down with pictures. I know there will be many who will disagree with me. They will call it heresy and blasphemous. But what do I know. I just collect these little plastic things.

Flame Suit ON.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My first two modules were gen 2, the latest I got is a gen 1. I was a little put off at first but after using it, I actually prefer the gen 1. I have large hands and long fingers so with a thumbs forward grip, my fingers don't ride the slide release. When I do use it, I find it easier due to the lack of raised plastic all around it.
I definitely prefer the "Gen 1" 320 grip module and slide lock. Am disturbed that when(if) the FDE Compact Small grip mod that my LGS has had on order for me for 9 months shows up, it will be the Gen 2 and require a switch to the new slide lock on at least one of my 320's. Will then see if anyone has a 320 Gen 1 to swap for Gen 2. (We can all agree to call the original 250 grip Gen 0 ) Personally I think the newer Gen 2 grip slide lock area is butt ugly.
:mad:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Now I'm confused...

I think they decided to only put 3 slots on the Carry module so they could distinguish it from the Compact module at a glance.

Then there's also this version. It has molded areas for the manual safety slots with a different texture and untextured mold ejector pin marks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
298 Posts
so has this grip shown up in the wild. Looks like it could be a grip for an M17, from my understanding the contract will allow end user to select color. I can see the Army going FDE while the USAF sticking with the black

·
Registered
821 Posts
This one came from SIG like that. It doesn't have the safety slots, but there are mold lines around a slightly raised area where they modified the mold dies for that option.

It will be handy for anyone who lives in a state that requires the safety if all of the new modules are going to look like that. The slots are already located, just follow the lines. :)

I don't really like the looks of them myself...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Is this one that you got? How long ago? The pre production xm17 appears to be a carry grip, so it only appears to make sense that newer production would be made to adjust for that to lower overall cost

·
Registered
278 Posts
Now I know there are going to be folks out there that will refuse to look at the evidence and acknowledge the info I provided. This will be because they themselves have subscribed to the wrong info. Or they had a hand in spreading it. Example: just go to ebay and type "Sig Grip Module" in your search. How many misidentified grips do you see.

Just take a look at this sheet describing the change in 2009 to the new grip.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/P250%20COMPACT%20GRIP%20CHANGE.pdf

·
Registered
278 Posts
Another thing we have to think about in the community.
SIG changing mold markings where not enough for us to call it a Generation change. Changing functionality does. Example: Gen 1 to Gen 2, Rail changes, Dust Cover Width Change, Grip Texture Change, Magazine well change. Gen 2 to Gen 3, Raised Slide Release Fence, and Slide Release Design Change.
So does that mean adding the cut out for the Manual Safety and Addition of the Manual Safety constitute a Generation Change? That would be a Functionality change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got my P320RX Compact from my FFL today. Got it on the NRA Inst. deal. Still a little better than the Cabelas deal but not by much.

Our state started collecting sales tax when they passed our draconian anti-gun I-594 funded by Soros a couple years ago. First mail order gun since then. Boy was I surprised when I picked up my new gun and paid the $75 I thought I saved. Oh well, I’m not sending it back.

So my picture tonight is a little ol’ school plus a little brand new. Years ago, I saw the P250 for what it was, a magazine fed revolver per say. Not the fastest girl in town, but reliable. Even if you didn’t take her out much, just Point and Press. Need more, do it again. After several variants of the P250 and exchange kits, I saw one of the early ones (pre new grip module) on sale with the cool digital camo for a good deal and added it to the inventory.

So now, I have a digi-camo P320Rx compact. Did a little magic with the mag bases for the compact mags and stole a couple of my full sized 17 rounder's and I’m headed for the range tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
They made one in a Factory ACU color also. That was the prize of my Gen 1 collection. Unfortunately, someone wanted it more than I. It was in the box that was stolen.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Is this one that you got? How long ago? The pre production xm17 appears to be a carry grip, so it only appears to make sense that newer production would be made to adjust for that to lower overall cost
The mold date is 1/17 and I've had it for two weeks.

It makes sense that they would want to cut costs. They are going to need tons of them for the Army contract and commercial sales.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The mold date is 1/17 and I've had it for two weeks.

It makes sense that they would want to cut costs. They are going to need tons of them for the Army contract and commercial sales.
Just curious where did you find a mold date. I wonder if the stippling texture has goten coarser.

Where did you get it from?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts