SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
Their website says:
"Fort Scott Munitions鈥 (FSM庐) 9MM Luger Fort Defense庐 ammo is a match grade handgun bullet, with a Tumble Upon Impact鈩 action that exceeds the performance of a standard expanding bullet for decisive terminal impact. Engineered to create a dynamic, Tumble Upon Impact鈩 wound cavity, the unique patented design of our 9MM Luger pistol ammunition provides superior performance. If you carry a small caliber handgun, you know your life may depend on accurate bullet placement."

Caliber 9MM
Grain 80
FPS Avg: 1356

So their rounds have 327 ft.lbs of energy at the muzzle of a standard 4in weapon. They claim it tumbles and that is why it causes a wound channel like a JHP bullet.

As has been said, while this is in theory interesting, I would stick with Federal HST 124 or 147gr as they have the best results in all the tests and reports of the mainstream options.

Reactions: GCBHM and sevycat

馃帠USAF Veteran
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Save your money. Stay away from unproven boutique ammo and go with something that has real world proven statistics to back up its abillty. Buy some HSTs and forget that stuff.
I use HST 147 for 9mm and HST 230 for 45ACP, sometimes I use Winchester Ranger T ammo also. I seen this stuff and I like to know something about it, but I am happy with those that I listed above that I use for EDC ammo.

Premium Member
I use HST 147 for 9mm and HST 230 for 45ACP, sometimes I use Winchester Ranger T ammo also. I seen this stuff and I like to know something about it, but I am happy with those that I listed above that I use for EDC ammo.
You're lucky to find Ranger T these days. I certainly haven't seen any in a while. I'll be interested in any information you find about ballistic performance either in a lab or the field on this ammo. More info on how this ammo is "a match grade handgun bullet" in flight but is designed to tumble once it enters a solid would be nice.

Ammo vs. Cinder Block:

Ammo vs. Body Armor:

List of Fort Scott 9mm Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fort+scott+9mm

Ammo on range with PPS & P99 + Gel:

Registered
What gun are you planning to fire with it?

80 grs is kinda light and may not work well in whatever gun you plan on shooting it with.

Buy a box (tin) and shoot it and see if you like it. See if your gun likes it.

But I'd refer you to the previous posts for stuff with a track record.

Registered
I have a box of 150 grain HST's . Does anyone know the reason they make both 147 and 150 grain HST's? Don't seem like 3 grains would matter.

Premium Member
I have a box of 150 grain HST's . Does anyone know the reason they make both 147 and 150 grain HST's? Don't seem like 3 grains would matter.
That's from Federal's newer "Micro HST" line for short barrel weapons. Not sure it does make a difference but it does distinguish that ammo from the regular FS weapon ammo.

Registered
That's from Federal's newer "Micro HST" line for short barrel weapons. Not sure it does make a difference but it does distinguish that ammo from the regular FS weapon ammo.
They almost have to have a different construction, I'm thinking mushrooming at lower velocity because of a shorter barrel and velocity loss, otherwise they would use the same bullets. Three grains is insignificant in a pistol bullet .

Premium Member
They almost have to have a different construction, I'm thinking mushrooming at lower velocity because of a shorter barrel and velocity loss, otherwise they would use the same bullets. Three grains is insignificant in a pistol bullet .
I've read elsewhere that it is faster burning powder to maximize velocity out of the shorter barrel.

Banned
The problem, as I see it, with these more modern light weight bullets that claim to do the same or better work as the traditional JHP bullets is that, although travelling fast, it isn't as likely to penetrate as well, not to mention have as much energy to dump inside the body. Weight and speed is what kills, per se. If one could get a needle to travel at 1 million miles per hour, sure, it will kill you...eventually, but if you can get a projectile the size of a baseball bat to move at the same speed, then you've caused a LOT more devastation. This is why rifle rounds are a lot more devastating than pistol rounds. Granted this is a very basic example of it all, but I would avoid extremely light weight ammo in any caliber, really.

Reactions: Bamm

Registered

Attachments

Reactions: Mills
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.