Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tavor 7 7.62x51

Votes: 3 17.6%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could see a Tavor in my future. Haven’t decided on the model yet. They all have their pluses and minuses. Would welcome feedback as to why y’all prefer certain models.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a Tavor SAR. The Tavor 7 has the best features of the SAR and the X95, plus it’s ambidextrous. If you want a .308 CQB weapon, I vote Tavor 7. Otherwise, it’s a tough call, but I wouldn’t trade my SAR for an X95. But then again, I am a suppressor guy, so maybe I’d pick an X95 in .300 Blackout. I don’t mean to sound wishie-washie, but you really can’t go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Tavor SAR. The Tavor 7 has the best features of the SAR and the X95, plus it’s ambidextrous. If you want a .308 CQB weapon, I vote Tavor 7. Otherwise, it’s a tough call, but I wouldn’t trade my SAR for an X95. But then again, I am a suppressor guy, so maybe I’d pick an X95 in .300 Blackout. I don’t mean to sound wishie-washie, but you really can’t go wrong with any of them.

What mods do you have on yours? That looks like a difference forend. How is that bipod working out?

My toy store has a new SAR finished in multi cam with that same bipod, Guissele trigger and Vortex Huey mounted for $2,400.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I had an X95 and loved it. That is until it started to rattle my teeth lose. I literally had 2 teeth that were starting to loosen and would ache after every range session. Guess my face just isn’t made for a Bullpup. Only other downside was running it suppressed. It leaked gas from everywhere and made for a very tearful experience.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had an X95 and loved it. That is until it started to rattle my teeth lose. I literally had 2 teeth that were starting to loosen and would ache after every range session. Guess my face just isn’t made for a Bullpup. Only other downside was running it suppressed. It leaked gas from everywhere and made for a very tearful experience.
Was that caused by the recoil impulse?

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Was that caused by the recoil impulse?
Pretty much. The entire action resides in the rear. The piston pounding right under my jawline did me in. It was so upset over the whole thing. It was such an awesome weapon. Completely compact and well balanced.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty much. The entire action resides in the rear. The piston pounding right under my jawline did me in. It was so upset over the whole thing. It was such an awesome weapon. Completely compact and well balanced.
Sorry to hear about that!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I have a SAR with a Primary Arms 2.5 fixed power scope that is otherwise stock. The trigger is terrible compared to a standard AR trigger but that’s really my only complaint. I’ve never shot the X95 or 7 so I can’t give a comparison but I had a AUG and sold it because I like the SAR much more. The controls and mag change on the SAR just seems more natural to me than the AUG.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a SAR with a Primary Arms 2.5 fixed power scope that is otherwise stock. The trigger is terrible compared to a standard AR trigger but that’s really my only complaint. I’ve never shot the X95 or 7 so I can’t give a comparison but I had a AUG and sold it because I like the SAR much more. The controls and mag change on the SAR just seems more natural to me than the AUG.
The paddle mag release on the SAR didn’t bother me while handling it. I can see where the X95 mag release would make for quicker mag changes, but not by much.

Reactions: Twister

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Well ... none of the above ... but I do have a TAVOR X95 PCC 9mm. And with 32 round mags and a Romeo 5 it's just way too much fun...:shoot:

Attachments

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well ... none of the above ... but I do have a TAVOR X95 PCC 9mm. And with 32 round mags and a Romeo 5 it's just way too much fun...:shoot:
Nice setup. I see conversion kits are available for the 9, 5.56 and 300 Blk. What mags does the 9mm use?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Bought SAR when they first jumped off the boat...or at least it was close. Winter between 2013/2014. I got the Geissele Super Sabra when it went on some super sale...$225 shipped!
Put on an ambi safety and some inexpensive A2 sights on the rail. Also have a red dot on a QD
mount/riser. Love it. I’ve used it to win some service rifle matches (not your typical SR match) 6” to 12” steel plates out to 100 yd.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Nice setup. I see conversion kits are available for the 9, 5.56 and 300 Blk. What mags does the 9mm use?
The 9mm uses Colt / AR style mags. They're pretty cheap too ... I've bought several for as low as $15.00. I'm running an Atlas 9 muzzle brake and Geissele trigger pack ... it runs like a fire hose ...:eek: It's a bit of a wall hanger right now with the ammo shortage... it will really go through a box (or 10 boxes) in a real hurry.

Reactions: Twistedracer

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Snagged my FDE SAR when they were first released 7 or 8 years ago (or whatever it's been). The Israelis know how to design some good kit! :)

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the Tavor SAR 7. Just finished putting a Holosun HE510C-GR ELITE Reflex sight on it with a Vortex Micro 3x magnifier behind it. Also have a FAB Defense T-Pod G2 vertical foregrip/bipod.

That’s a nice setup.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Tavor SAR

I've had a Tavor SAR for a few years now. It's been a solid performer. The only real criticism is the trigger, but since it's built as a combat rifle not a precision target rifle, it's really not that bad, and there are now replacement triggers available. I haven't had a chance to try out the newer X-95.

I decided to keep mine all Israeli as much as possible, so I went with the Hartman MH1 red dot, but went with the EOTech 3x magnifier. Sometimes it's still hard to believe that this is a rifle with a 16" barrel in such a short overall length package.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I stopped and looked st the SAR again today. That thing is unbelievably tiny for having a 16.5” barrel.
It blows me away that the 7.62x51 model is only a half inch longer at 26.75”.
I think I’m swaying to the 7.62 model as 7.62 is under represented in my collection.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts