SIG Talk banner

Anyone have a S&W Shield 45?

9722 Views 66 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Frankenstien
Looking at picking one up in the next week, wanted to see if anyone on here had one and what they thought about it. My wife has a shield 9mm, great little gun, I am guilty of borrowing it sometimes when I need 100% concealment.

Not sure how I feel about a 45 in such a small package, but after holding one, the texturing is so much better than the shield 9mm.

Looking for thoughts and opinions, how'd it shoot?

Thanks,
Mike
Reactions: sigsrok
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
It is ever so slightly larger than the 9/40 Shield. Its a great EDC and fun at the range. I've got a little over 450 rounds through mine and it has never had an issue. Several holster options. It's 1 inch thin and a reasonable ~27 ozs loaded. Worth it.

· Registered
39 Posts
I picked one up when they were first available. Nice little shooter, more controllable than expected. I do just shoot standard pressure loads though, haven't run any +P through it.

The Shield 45s seem to have a better (cleaner) trigger out of the box than many of the 9/40 versions did. S&W has done a very good job with the new Shield.

· Registered
372 Posts
Highly recommended! Its my EDC.
I have the Performance Center version with the Hi-Viz sights. I put a Crimson Trace Light/Laser Guard on mine for twilight and night. The CTC model LL-808-HBT ships with a BladeTech Klipt kydex holster.
Recoil with standard loads is like shooting a +P 9mm, very controllable and accurate.
See pics, S# hid

Attachments

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Highly recommended! Its my EDC.
I have the Performance Center version with the Hi-Viz sights. I put a Crimson Trace Light/Laser Guard on mine for twilight and night. The CTC model LL-808-HBT ships with a BladeTech Klipt kydex holster.
Recoil with standard loads is like shooting a +P 9mm, very controllable and accurate.
See pics, S# hid
I like that light, looks like it doesn't add too Mich. Just the button on the one side? Or how is it actovated

· Registered
372 Posts
I like that light, looks like it doesn't add too Mich. Just the button on the one side? Or how is it actovated
Actually its a four mode switch: laser only, light only, light and laser, and flashing light and laser.
Check out pistol-lasergrips.com for good prices on CTC lasers. If you're a active or retired military veteran CTC will give you a 30% discount and free shipping.

· Registered
766 Posts
My father has one that I have shot on a few different outings. I have to say it is pretty nice for a small 45. I even ran some 185gr +p through it and it still was very manageable to shoot. If I were in the market for a 45 single stack it would be top on the list. I also feel that it being slightly bigger than the 9/40 shield is a plus. I would prefer the 45 over them. At one point I made mention to my father about possibly getting something in the 45 shield. He told me if I wanted the XDS I bought him for a father's day gift a few years back he would give it to me.
It has since replaced my fathers XDS as a carry gun.

· Registered
9 Posts
Looking for thoughts and opinions, how'd it shoot?
The Shield 45 is my primary go-to carry weapon. It replaced a Glock 30SF and XDs45. I found that I was a little more accurate with the Shield. Maybe slightly better than the Glock, but a whole lot more accurate than the XDs. The only real reason I replaced my Glock is that the Shield was smaller and more easily concealed. For such a small .45 it is enjoyable to take to the range. The XDs was brutal on the hand.

How is it recoil wise? Pretty snappy?
I would characterize the XDs as "snappy". To me the Shield has more of a push-back feel, like the Glock. I think this is why I am as accurate with it as the Glock because I can get back on target faster.

BTW, needless to say, I no longer own the XDs45! :eek:

Here's my Shield 45...
S&W45Shield-2 by Mark Anderson, on Flickr

· Registered
65 Posts
After a trip to the range today with my P229, I stopped at a shop on my way home and found my first MA-compliant Shield .45. Man, is that grip ever thin! :lol: It felt like the gun had been run over by a truck! :eek: I guess my hand was used to the P229 after an afternoon of shooting 'cause that Shield .45 felt as flat as a pancake. :D Like the salesman said... "GREAT for summer carry"! ;)

No doubt I'll pick one up someday. The dealers price today seemed a little high. I think I'll wait for a good sale before jumping. :D

· Registered
3,046 Posts
My father has one that I have shot on a few different outings. I have to say it is pretty nice for a small 45. I even ran some 185gr +p through it and it still was very manageable to shoot. If I were in the market for a 45 single stack it would be top on the list. I also feel that it being slightly bigger than the 9/40 shield is a plus. I would prefer the 45 over them. At one point I made mention to my father about possibly getting something in the 45 shield. He told me if I wanted the XDS I bought him for a father's day gift a few years back he would give it to me.
It has since replaced my fathers XDS as a carry gun.
that is what I intend to do, replace the XDS with the Shield, I don't get along with the XDS anyway.

· Registered
39 Posts
Just picked it up today, looking forward to playing with it a bit, feels really good, very nice for a 400$ gun. But man the slide release is a a stiff mofo.
Ha! Not the first time I've heard that about the 45 version ;) It does loosen up a bit as the parts wear in. Snap caps and dry fire practice will help accelerate this.

Enjoy your Shield.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.