SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

Registered
While on the subject, ever try throwing them? A few times I've gone to arcades where you can throw them. How hard can this be? Right! Darned hard to get them to consistently stick, in my experience.
On a cruise to Alaska a couple of years ago, they had onboard an axe throwing contest. Three members from the audience came onstage. They were each given two warm-up throws before the competition. One guy threw bullseyes on both of his warm-up throws, which astounded everyone, but then lost the competition when none of his throws that counted would stick.

馃帠USAF Retired

Registered
On a cruise to Alaska a couple of years ago, they had onboard an axe throwing contest. Three members from the audience came onstage. They were each given two warm-up throws before the competition. One guy threw bullseyes on both of his warm-up throws, which astounded everyone, but then lost the competition when none of his throws that counted would stick.
What awful luck

Premium Member
I made this trade tomahawk and carried it in the Montana wilderness. When a moose attacked my young son I told him to run behind me and hide by a rock. He was searching for arrowheads near a spring runnoff stream. Suddenly, he came running toward me terrified, saying 鈥淚 hear something, I am scared.鈥 I then felt the unmistakable shake in the ground of the black moose running as it broke into the clearing. I drew this tomahawk from my belt and charged the enraged moose, firing my 50 caliber long rifle one handed at point-blank range at its face, while swinging in with the hawk. Moose rared up, wheeled (like only a moose can do with its double-jointed limbs that can kick sideways), defecated itself, and ran. My now fully grown son, who was a very young boy at the time, remembers the 50 long rifle thunderclap and me dressed in bucksin leather and boots rushing through the smoke swinging in with the tomahawk with a war cry, striking at the face of the moose. When he turned 18, I gifted it to him, and now carries and throws it himself. I鈥檝e gone hands on with a 350 pound black bear with a 12鈥 blade bowie knife at 3am, and been chased by five 150# black-furred wolves for interfering with their hunt, (documented with MT FWP), but protecting my son was the most intense experience I had on the MT wilderness divide.

Water Wood Road surface Asphalt Brickwork

Vertebrate Textile Tints and shades Font Pattern

Hat Neck Sleeve Body jewelry Headgear

Reverse image picture my wife took of me returning at 3 am from patrolling the property for wolves. The temperature was 40 degrees below zero on the continental divide. She had tea ready. I love Montana, where outsiders will not go.
Sleeve Gesture Grey Font Pattern

Registered
I made this trade tomahawk and carried it in the Montana wilderness. When a moose attacked my young son I told him to run behind me and hide by a rock. He was searching for arrowheads near a spring runnoff stream. Suddenly, he came running toward me terrified, saying 鈥淚 hear something, I am scared.鈥 I then felt the unmistakable shake in the ground of the black moose running as it broke into the clearing. I drew this tomahawk from my belt and charged the enraged moose, firing my 50 caliber long rifle one handed at point-blank range at its face, while swinging in with the hawk. Moose rared up, wheeled (like only a moose can do with its double-jointed limbs that can kick sideways), defecated itself, and ran. My now fully grown son, who was a very young boy at the time, remembers the 50 long rifle thunderclap and me dressed in bucksin leather and boots rushing through the smoke swinging in with the tomahawk with a war cry, striking at the face of the moose. When he turned 18, I gifted it to him, and now carries and throws it himself. I鈥檝e gone hands on with a 350 pound black bear with a 12鈥 blade bowie knife at 3am, and been chased by five 150# black-furred wolves for interfering with their hunt, (documented with MT FWP), but protecting my son was the most intense experience I had on the MT wilderness divide.

View attachment 501808
View attachment 501810
View attachment 501817
Reverse image picture my wife took of me returning at 3 am from patrolling the property for wolves. The temperature was 40 degrees below zero on the continental divide. She had tea ready. I love Montana, where outsiders will not go. View attachment 501820
You win. 馃ぃ

Seriously though, cool stories and thanks for sharing. I'm in ID, and while I haven't had to wrestle a bear (yet), I've been charged by moose several times and had a wolf walk right up behind me to within 40' or so while hunting.

The history of hawks/belt axes is one that fascinates me, for sure. From their origins in the Americas, to their usage in various Norse cultures, to the role they've played in modern warfare. And the more time I spend with them, and appreciate the advantages of the various design differences, the more useful I discover them to be.

On the more traditional side, this is a poll 'hawk I picked up from Ragweed Forge over a decade ago. Still goin' strong:
Wood Hand tool Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Garden tool Tool

馃帠USAF Retired

View attachment 501808
View attachment 501810
View attachment 501817
Reverse image picture my wife took of me returning at 3 am from patrolling the property for wolves. The temperature was 40 degrees below zero on the continental divide. She had tea ready. I love Montana, where outsiders will not go. View attachment 501820
Well, All I ever did to a moose was hit it with my snowmobile trailer. The guy behind me in his little Ford ranger finished off the moose and his truck.

Premium Member
You win. 馃ぃ

Seriously though, cool stories and thanks for sharing. I'm in ID, and while I haven't had to wrestle a bear (yet)
The bear thing was wild. It was breaking into our house at 3am. I put the family in the back, armed my wife with a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H, and went out a back window with my Bowie and spray. I came around the back of the bear who was busy breaking in. Bright full moon. I wanted to get the bear鈥檚 mind off breaking in so I kicked it where I thought its genitals were located from behind (turned out I was high based on later examination of what my Irish Setter calf high boot toe was covered in). The bear roared, spun around instantly and reared up. I sprayed it in the face with a large can of bear spray and swung my knife at its face but missed because it jerked its head back. The knife follow through struck a granite rock, which resulted in a loud 鈥淐lang鈥 and a shower of sparks. The bear saw this and with a look as if to say, 鈥淗olly s***!!,鈥 turned and ran, with me in pursuit. My wife called police who came and searched for it with ARs, but it was long gone. The next day the game warden came and said, 鈥淭hat bear is not coming back, and it's going to tell its friends to stay clear too.鈥 My young daughter put a paper sign showing a score on the refrigerator with a magnet that she wrote that said, 鈥淒ad 1, Bear 0鈥. The bear spray company gave me a free $50 can. My Mt buddies and family have called me Bear Paw since.
Font Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Tool Symbol

21 - 40 of 45 Posts