SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a general chat question. I just bought my first Sig Sauer so I won't be a collector in the foreseeable future.

I read references to older German made Sigs and I was just wondering if there is a market or collection interest in older classic models.

If so, what are the most collectable Sig pistols and what kind of money are they going for?

Also, are there any books or history websites for the older guns? I would enjoy reading some background info.

Thanks.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,619 Posts
rmak, some here think the early W. German guns are the "Cat's Meow", while others like the early European magazine release models. Some crave the 220s with fixed front sights, others want the "Tysons Corner" address Sigs. Then you have the "Mud Cut" railed models, plus a few others such as the 210 models, which are a whole different world. Then you have Sigs imported by others, such as the "used" P6s, and those models marketed by others, such as Browning Arms, various caliber 220s.

Check out Wikipedia when you search Sig Sauer... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
There are also the SIGs from the Mastershop Prestige Series. Those were made around 2012/2013 in Germany. They are pieces of art no matter if one likes them or not. On some of those the shoot ability is questionable.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Were those Mastershop Sigs one of a kind or were there more? How many each?

Not my cup of tea but they are interesting pieces of art or for Warren Buffet a trunk gun

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I have ZERO interest in the SIGs that come from the USA. I try to pick up every W.German /German SIG I can find a deal on. My favorites are the P220 9mm with European mag release. I EDC OC a German p228 and love it. Recently, IIRC, there have been NIB W.German P228 with all paperwork and box go for ~>$1500. I tend to lean toward the P220 and P228 ...others like the P226 and P229. I also try to pick up "Montage Suisse" models as well as Herndon, VA and Tyson's Corner, but have never been able to add a Lyson's Corner gun to the collection (yet). I have been partial to the P6 / P225 as well but don't find many of those around here.

Reactions: SIGWiz226 and rmak

·
Registered
258 Posts
P220

I have a west German 3 number matching P220 in .38 Super, also my X6, pretty much the rarer it is the more desirable it will be.

Reactions: rmak

·
Registered
227 Posts
Factory nickel and two-tone 228's and 226's NIB bring good money. But most of the time they are too high to buy unless one has deep pockets. Stick to the German 228's and 220's in 38 super, 9 MM or the elusive 30 Luger.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Welcome from PA!

SIGs in demand are usually made in Germany.

P210, 220, 225, 228, 232, X5.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just seen this old thread.
I own several collectble guns, 1911s and a couple of Lugers.
I also have a SIG Sauer P226 and a Swiss commercial SIG P210 cal 7.65 Para.
I'm tempted to buy a M49 as I like the P210 but here the market is completely stuck , P210s here are always being offered at very high prices but there is no demand for them, so you risk to get a firearm that one day you'll never be able to sell. Moreover as somebody wrote long ago " The P210 is not a collector's item on the order of classic Colts and Lugers. It's a tool, priced as such. Since the advent of online sales, there has been no shortage of SIG P210 variants offered for sale. "
I'd like some other collectors opinion.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Sigsauerpro, I look at those 210s from the point of view that they are target pistols. Their value in my opinion is that realm. The only pistol that would be worth more than others would be if it were used by an Olympic gold or silver winner and have the prominence to back it up. These things are NOT wall hangers or safe queens. They are meant to be used and shot.

The problem with “collectors”, 1 or 2 people or groups drive a price up because there was something they really wanted. Others see that price and then think they can get that price.. some people fall in to that and others just stay out. From Bennie babies to Porsches.. people will pay what they are willing to pay for things. Doesn’t stop people from thinking they can get stupid money for some things.

I work allot in the car collector world and have watched car values spike and then drop to the bottom. People that bought because they were getting an investment are the ones that always get burned. Prices drop and they get left holding the bag.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts