SIG Talk banner

Any opinions on a Taraus M85 in 38 special

758 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  hardluk1
looking at getting one of these to keep at home for the girlfriend while im out of town or not at home.
have heard mixed reviews on them. can pick one up for right at $300 from the local LGS
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
449 Posts
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus products.

I say find a S&W or a Ruger.

Also, unless she is an experienced shooter, the small revolvers can be difficult to shoot.

I won't bore you with all of the details but I had a horrible experience with a Taurus revolver years ago. It went back for repairs three times and when it came back the last time I just got rid of it and now you couldn't pay me to own one.

· Registered
13 Posts
This is a something I ran across on Facebook a while back.

Allow me to share my experience with Taurus customer service. Upon getting my model 605 revolver cerakoted, a crack was found in the barrel. Seeing how Taurus claims to have a lifetime warranty, the gun was sent off. Taurus tried to avoid doing anything for me, but eventually agreed to replace the barrel. Thing is, they didn't replace it. They sent a barrel separate from the frame, with an extra uncrowned inch sticking out. Leaving it up to me to do a bunch of complicated gunsmith work I don't have the skills or tools to do. They also had the gall to send a letter saying they had repaired the weapon. This is what Taurus customer service gets you folks. Never will own another. Taurus will probably untag themselves and block me from their page so I ask all my gun loving friends to share this.

· Registered
13 Posts
Couple of other things. Does your girlfriend want a revolver? Most seem to hate the heavy triggers in my experience. And why would you limit yourself to 5 rounds if it'll just stay and home. Why not get a full size semi auto since it doesn't really matter what it weighs if it's sitting in a night stand?

· Premium Member
14,244 Posts
gonna look at a Ruger SP101 also and a S&W 642
If your girlfriend doesn't shoot a lot, I'd recommend staying away from the 642. Being so light, it is a miserable gun to shoot! The Ruger SP-101 would be a fine choice, being stainless, and one of the reasons I recommended the S&W 640 earlier, another stainless offering. (stainless = heavier = easier to shoot due to reduced recoil)

Good luck.

· Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Thing about a quality double action revolver is this;
Pick it up, point, shoot.
No slide to rack, no safety to figure out.....

My wife is not an avid shooter so her Smith model 19 and model 642 fill the bill.

· Registered
449 Posts

My wife is not an avid shooter so her Smith model 19 and model 642 fill the bill.
That's why I like to keep a Glock 19 (or pretty much any striker fired handgun for that matter) around for my wife. Pick it up, point, and shoot. Same reason I like the Sig P-series. Pick it up, point, and shoot.

· Registered
310 Posts
I used to own the lightweight titanium version. Trigger pull was about 400 pounds and standard pressure 38 range ammo felt like 357 magnum.

Seriously, it wasn't fun to shoot and it was very difficult to shoot accurately.

Dave

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the exact reason here also.
I am comfortable shooting my Semi. if it jams, stovepipes or anything I know I can clear it quickly. with her she dosent know it that well. she knows how the semi works but isn't that comfortable with it and not an experienced shooter.
granted I know that it takes time and practice to be a comfortable shooter with anything

· Registered
3,458 Posts
I have 1990 stainless steel Taurus 85 that I would not trade for a new comparable production s&w . Its been a great carry pistol that was my work carry for 18 years and even though its not +P rated its fired it share of 38+p ammo . That was 12 years ago But to by a new Taurus 85 . NO . Besides a snub nose revolver is not easy to shoot accurately using the typically heavy da triggers . Recoil can be snappy even with mild defensive load . If your not shooting accurately its not fun and you won't want to shoot often . Every shooter should own or have access to a good .22lr pistol too .

Before you buy anything for HER you should rent or borrow some different handguns for her to try out . Might be she will not like what YOU think she will .

I have two daughter that were not shooters . We knew the basics but did not grow up as shooters till both decided they wanted to get there CCW . They both shoot an old well tuned 22 revolvers and my old colt huntsman , then a my Taurus 85 after I changed springs and polished the action for a 7lb da pull an 2lb 4oz sa pull . Then they both tried most every semi autos I had .

I told them when you decide what you want to carry I'll pay for it . They both ended up buying 380 semi autos to carry . One picked a bersa 380CC the other a larger bersa thunder . Then both moved to 9mm . One picked one of my old cw9 kahr as a small carry and a p250sc 9mm sig as her larger carry , the other wanted a PT111G2 and a 18 round p226 mag as back up .

Let your lady pick what she wants , You just pay for it .

MY wife never cared about revolvers for CC even though she has a DW 357mag . She has a m&p9c for carry but also claimed my kimber stainless ultra 9mm as her edc .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.