SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a P320 with both the 9mm and .40S&W exchange parts. It seems .40 doesn't get much love out in the P320 world. Anyone want to give a shout out in support of their .40? I am contemplating selling one of the slides/barrels, and I am torn. It's primarily for the wife to keep at home with Federal HST's in it, but the 9mm is cheaper and easier to shoot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
851 Posts
The only 320 I've ever held and/or shot was a compact 40. I really liked it, but I also like 40 more than most. In fact, now I kind of have to get one. You know how it goes.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Nah...there's nothing wrong with .40, but all things considered, 9mm is generally best for the average shooter. If you want it run it! There is certainly no shortage of .40s these days!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yea, the 40's are super plentiful.

Edit: and I do like 40 cal guns, when they are converted to Sig 357...

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Yea, the 40's are super plentiful.

Edit: and I do like 40 cal guns, when they are converted to Sig 357...
I think btwn the 9mm and .357 Sig, .40 is all but irrelevant, but it is still a good round. To each his own. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up, especially if it was all I had.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I bought into the P320 with a 40sw Compact with night sights. It was the only option I could find.

I promptly got a 9mm treaded and a .357sig barrel. With 9mm and .357sig, 40sw really doesn't do much for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
All my guns are 9mm and .45acp. I tend to shoot the .45 the best which is why I kept two guns in that caliber. I sold off all my .40 and .357sig because I just don't see any advantage in those calibers. They transfer more energy into the target than 9mm but that is irrelevant if you have good shot placement with 9mm.

I carry 147gr ammo in my 9mm. They penetrate deep and have excellent expansion.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I think there is an advantage to the 357, balistically. However, lets not beat that dead horse. With modern defensive ammo 9mm, .40, 357 or 45 all do the job.

I have the P320 in all 4 calibers, so I can shoot whatever I feel like. Though I do tend to carry the 357 the most. I like the 9mm for low cost target practice.

I do have to admit that while I own 40's I just about never shoot them. But I will keep the barrels.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am also a big fan of the .40s&w. However, for your wife, I would recommend the 9mm.
She will have more fun with it, as she will be able to control it better than the .40s&w.
The .40 can be a little snappy. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I do like .40 S&W in the right pistol and I did shoot a full-size P320 in that caliber on two occasions. It was a range rental and it shot great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
.40 is still a great round. It might not be the absolute best but it does just as good now (and better with modern ammo)
as it did in it's early days. I still have more .40's than 9mm's since that was what I was partial to when I was old enough
to start buying my own.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like there is still support out there for the .40. I felt like I was becoming a loner with a red-headed stepchild.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I wouldn't sell any of your .40 stuff, you never know when the next ammo crisis will hit so it's good to have options.

Now is a great time to be a .40 fan. With many police departments going to 9 for cost cutting reasons and the general population following along guns in .40 both new and used are plentiful right now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love my 320fs in .40! I sometimes rotate it into my carry. The gray guns fat rod makes it a wonderful shooter.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I'm a 40 fan, primarily because of availibility options. There are tons of guns out there in 40, and they tend to go for less money than other calibers. And, as Twister mentioned, during the next ammo crisis, there will be more 40 ammo available than more popular calibers.
So, if/when I am in the market for a 320, I'd take one in 40, no doubt.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I've been a 40sw fan since about '91 . Always had what pass's for a 4" barreled pistol in my carry rotation along with a smaller pistol in 9mm .

My EDC is a not so compact p320c 40 and a s&w 669 9mm .

I reload all our practice ammo and all revolver ammo but tend to buy my carry ammo for my pistols . I like the 40sw as ammo and reloads can be as lite as 135gr at 1050fps for 9mm power levels or with the hottest 155gr loads match most 357mag PL in carry sized revolvers and most any 45+P pl . But in a smaller handgun I rather have a 9mm were round counts can stay high and keep handgun control and defensive accuracy up and speed between shots high .

Both cartridges have there place but I think if I did not reload I probably stay with a 9mm to stay with .

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wouldn't sell any of your .40 stuff, you never know when the next ammo crisis will hit so it's good to have options.

Now is a great time to be a .40 fan. With many police departments going to 9 for cost cutting reasons and the general population following along guns in .40 both new and used are plentiful right now.
Not entirely true. Yes cost is a factor but its at the bottom of the list of reasons we are going to 9mm. 9mm terminal performance, accuracy, speed of follow up shots, magazine capacity and an increase in qualification scores are more reasons.

9mm got a bad rap in the 80's because of the Miami shoot out. If your not familiar with it then Google it. It's the reason the .40S&W was born. It has been 30+ years now and 9mm has come a long way. Powder, primer and especially bullet technology has brought the 9mm performance up to the same level as the rest of the calibers.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a 9mm snob, I prefer to shoot .45acp but when it comes to CCW 9mm can stand with the others and has the advantage of capacity. I can carry 19 + 1 in my XDm9 and 18 + 1 in my P226 9mm in standard capacity magazines that fit flush to the grip. You cant do that with other calibers.

·
Registered
P320 45 ACP Carry, P320 9MM Carry, P320 357 Sig Carry conversion kit, Colt 1911 45 ACP Government
381 Posts
40 is the only caliber I don't have at this point. I tend to prefer the 357 sig, slightly less recoil (at least that's the way it feels to me), but I must admit the 40 has some appeal. I've thought about getting a 40 barrel to swap out with my 357 sig setup - kinda like the idea of having all calibers, but then it means stocking yet another caliber of ammo. It just goes on and on...!

·
Registered
P320 45 ACP Carry, P320 9MM Carry, P320 357 Sig Carry conversion kit, Colt 1911 45 ACP Government
381 Posts
Not entirely true. Yes cost is a factor but its at the bottom of the list of reasons we are going to 9mm. 9mm terminal performance, accuracy, speed of follow up shots, magazine capacity and an increase in qualification scores are more reasons.

9mm got a bad rap in the 80's because of the Miami shoot out. If your not familiar with it then Google it. It's the reason the .40S&W was born. It has been 30+ years now and 9mm has come a long way. Powder, primer and especially bullet technology has brought the 9mm performance up to the same level as the rest of the calibers.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a 9mm snob, I prefer to shoot .45acp but when it comes to CCW 9mm can stand with the others and has the advantage of capacity. I can carry 19 + 1 in my XDm9 and 18 + 1 in my P226 9mm in standard capacity magazines that fit flush to the grip. You cant do that with other calibers.
One thing I don't understand is the reasoning that modern bullet technology has brought the 9MM of to the level of other calibers - but isn't that same modern bullet technology available in the larger calibers too? If so, then wouldn't the difference in performance between 9MM and the larger calibers be maintained? Or, does the modern bullet technology raise the performance of 9MM to a greater extent than the larger calibers? I haven't seen that question addressed (though I haven't looked that hard). Does anyone know?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts