SIG Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those who haven't followed the "P238 Production" thread, the P238's future isn't looking too bright. SIG's website currently only has 3 models listed, and 2 of them are marked as being discontinued. And despite the fact that the P238 Nitron (238-380-B) ISN'T marked as being discontinued, nearly all major distributors haven't gotten any new stock since the beginning of this year (confirmed by checking gun.deals and wikiarms daily). The recent wave of P238 magazine clearance sales further paints a grim picture for the model. This is beyond frustrating to say the least, since I was planning to buy one or two before they became discontinued for good. You can probably see where I'm going with this...

If SIG doesn't want my money, screw 'em! There are other Colt Mustang clones on the market that can earn it, and it just so happens a local FFL has several new Kimber Micro 380 models in stock. In person this thing literally looks and feels like a P238 with a slightly longer and upswept beaver tail. I'm very familiar with the poor reputation newer Kimbers have, so I'd like to be spared from the "he said she said" stories. I want to be fair and give them a fair shake since I've never owned any. Can any current or previous owners provide any insight as to whether there's any truth to the poor QC stories? Or would you say the stories are blown out of proportion?

I'm also aware that the Springfield 911 exists, however I've crossed that off my list for reasons which I won't get into. I'm just looking for real input on the Kimber Micro and how it compares to the P238 in terms of quality/reliability. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd seriously consider buying a Kimber, but SIG isn't leaving me much choice here. The only alternatives left would be the cheaper polymer 380 pistols like the Bodyguard and LCP, which I'm definitely not a fan of.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I don't have a Kimber Micro. I do have three Kimber's two revolvers and 1911 LS 6" which work fine. The wife carries a Sig P238 for ten years. I carry a Sig P938
for the last ten years. Maybe look at the P938. You don't see many people buying small Kimber's if you go on Gun Broker you see many for sale but no one biding on them.
When you buy a gun any brand you don't know what you will get.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My wife has 2 Kimber Micro 380s; a Belair and a CDP LG. She also has a SW 380 Bodyguard (her canoe gun) and a Sig P238 Rainbow. She carries the Sig (except in the canoe) cuz it’s reliable and she’s more accurate with it. After owning a Solo and 2 other models, I’ll never buy another Kimber. Kimber has the best CS department cuz they get a lot of practice fixing guns that don’t work.
Maybe I’m just lucky but all 7 Sig’s I have never failed in any way.
I’d get the Sig (JMHO)

Sig-What all Kimbers should be.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I had the Kimber but liked the Sig better. No complaints with the Kimber though, just a matter of preference for the SIG.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I guess I'll hold out a little longer and hope SIG eventually gets around to restocking distributors with more P238 Nitrons later in the year. I definitely want the SIG more since I've had more experience with them and know from personal experience they're super reliable. I guess I'll keep the Kimber Micro in mind as a backup option.

EDIT: And just like that Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop magically has new stock of a new SKU P238!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts