SIG Talk banner

Another Super Strut Believer

1885 55
I just dropped a Sig Armorer Super Strut and the included #20 mainspring into a new & unfired P229 Legion.

The small amount of crunch I felt at the initiation of DA pull is almost completely gone and pull is an ounce lighter. It’s presently breaking at 8 lbs even, according to my cheap RCBS spring gauge. (Previously it was maxing out the spring, which I guess is around 9 lbs).

I have a #19 mainspring around somewhere that I’ll play with at a later time.

The Legion trigger is good out of the box. Now it’s better. I’m a believer.
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been interested in th SA Super Strut for my P229 Dark Elite. I ordered GG trigger for it because I felt the stock trigger was pinching or digging into the tip of my index finger.
Does anyone know which strut is in the P229
Legion? Is it a Sig factory one or one from GG?
All the reviews for the SA strut have me thinking that I might have to order 2 of them. 1 for the Dark Elit and 1 for the Legion.

·
🎖USN Veteran
Sig P220, P226, P227, P228, P365XL, P365XL, M400 TREAD, 716i TREAD, 516 G2 Patrol, MPX K
2,429 Posts
Thanks to @Carmel Sig for some site navigation guidance…I’ve found the super strut ordering info now!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been interested in th SA Super Strut for my P229 Dark Elite. I ordered GG trigger for it because I felt the stock trigger was pinching or digging into the tip of my index finger.
Does anyone know which strut is in the P229
Legion? Is it a Sig factory one or one from GG?
All the reviews for the SA strut have me thinking that I might have to order 2 of them. 1 for the Dark Elit and 1 for the Legion.
It would be the stock slick finish strut. The SA one will be an improvement.

·
Registered
P220 P229 P320
789 Posts
Ya, I put a super strut in my P220 and dropped down to a 18# spring, haven’t run into any light strikes yet, trigger pull is a smooth 7#.
The sig armorer was out of stock on the P229 struts for a while, just got one and installed with the supplied 20# spring, trigger pull is a little over 8#.
Well worth the 60 bucks to get rid of that doubtful well placed first round.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I installed an SA Superstrut in my P229 Equinox about 6 months ago, which was fairly easy. Last week I re-installed a SA Superstrut in my P226 Legion SAO. I wanted to replace the strut seat with an AC long seat so I could put an AC jet funnel on the gun. I couldn't get the strut to seat in the hammer; had difficulty clearing the safety. Emailed Robert and asked him what the trick was, and he told me I needed to remove the safety, install the strut, and then re-install the safety. Went fine after that; haven't had it to the range yet. It also has the Burke Competition Package, so it will really be impossible to tell how much change in the trigger is due to the competition package vs. the Superstrut. It has one hell of short reset though. In addition, I put a ROMEO1PRO on top. Should be a real shooter. Here it is, shown without its new jet funnel.
View attachment 489422
That's a great looking piece.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yep. I am curious though about the benefits of the super strut in the SAO platform?
I don’t have any personal experience with SAO Sigs, but per reading about it, the main benefit in a SAO P-series is that the head of the strut is relieved so it doesn’t interfere with the safety. I’ve read that after time, contact with the OE strut will cause the safety lever to loosen (or something along those lines).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don’t have any personal experience with SAO Sigs, but per reading about it, the main benefit in a SAO P-series is that the head of the strut is relieved so it doesn’t interfere with the safety. I’ve read that after time, contact with the OE strut will cause the safety lever to loosen (or something along those lines).
This is stated in the Sig Armorer description, but does it also apply to the Gray Guns strut?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,087 Posts
What happened, was the Manual Safety Spring would end up fracturing due to the OEM Strut making contact with the Safety crossbolt, connecting the 2 Safety halves. When the Spring fractured it caused the Safety Levers to be loose, as the Spring acted as the detent...
Bicycle part Rim Font Auto part Circle

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
I made a spring testing jig to accurately measure spring weights when I found inconsistencies in advertised spring weights between the same springs from Gray Guns and Wolff Gunsprings (who made the springs GG sells). I talked with both Wolff and GG. Wolff said they test samples from each run, and the tolerance is + or - one pound. You may find the info in this link useful as it relates to spring strength and DA/SA trigger pull in Glassic Sigs. (The link is to my post in the gunsmithing forum on SigTalk:

Bumper's spring tests

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I see Armory Craft has the SA Superstrut along with their Ultimate Master Spring Tuning Kit. Seems like a nice option to have several weight springs available.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I see Armory Craft has the SA Superstrut along with their Ultimate Master Spring Tuning Kit. Seems like a nice option to have several weight springs available.
That's the same setup I ordered last month, but only use the wolf spring that came with the super strut so I still have all of the others Plus a few I ordered a few months ago when I did the complete spring replacement!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
21 - 40 of 56 Posts