SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just dropped a Sig Armorer Super Strut and the included #20 mainspring into a new & unfired P229 Legion.

The small amount of crunch I felt at the initiation of DA pull is almost completely gone and pull is an ounce lighter. It’s presently breaking at 8 lbs even, according to my cheap RCBS spring gauge. (Previously it was maxing out the spring, which I guess is around 9 lbs).

I have a #19 mainspring around somewhere that I’ll play with at a later time.

The Legion trigger is good out of the box. Now it’s better. I’m a believer.

·
Registered
23,665 Posts
I've been running Super Struts in my regular carry rotation guns, a P220, a P226/MK25, and a P229, but I've been running a 19 pound spring. A 19# is the lightest mainspring that Grayguns recommends for a carry gun. I also run a 19 pound mainspring in a number of other SIGs I shoot regularly but with factory struts on which I've smoothed the edges.

All have had completely reliable ignition with many different brands and loads. I don't know how much of a difference you could feel going from a 20 pound to a 19 pound, but it sure was a big difference from the factory mainspring.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A 19# is the lightest mainspring that Grayguns recommends for a carry gun.
I can confirm this statement, at least as of a few years ago when I spoke with one of the GG smiths on the phone.

I’ve had intermittent P-Series light strikes running lower than #19 (but I can’t remember if it was #17 or #18). For anyone wondering, there are good threads on the topic buried in the forum somewhere.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a SA super strut in my P226 and a Gumsmiff polished one by me in the P229. Very noticeable difference. The self-polished is smoother than stock but nowhere near SA's. I think I'll try the GGs next just to see. P226 also has an 18# spring vs 19# in the P229.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
The spring in the SA Super Strut kit is billed as a Wolf #20 that’s been ground and polished. I don’t know how one polishes a spring, but yes, indeed the SA spring looked polished!
Wonder if the spring is electropolished? That's a process that removes surface metal, preferentially any 'high spots'...providing a smoother surface without having to physically buff or sand it. Makes sense as a way to do a spring, but I'm speculating. Anyone know based on direct knowledge?

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
My 229 Elite came from Sig with a fantastic trigger in both DA and SA. The SA super strut improved the difference in each pull meaning, instead of 7.5 da to 4.5 sa, it’s now 6 in da and 4 in sa. Hope that makes sense. The 227 however had such a heavy da pull I couldn’t hit the target at 7-8 yards. After the SA super strut install plus a GG slightly curved DA trigger, the da pull is lighter and smoother and the SA pull is lighter and smoother as well. On the 227 the pull weight went from 10 in da to 7 and in sa went from 6 to 4.5. For a 45 acp semi auto, those weights are perfect for me.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Love the testimonials! One wonders why Sig doesn't acquire rights to Superstrut and put it in all their pistols.

Anyone have experience with a Superstrut in a P226 or P229 in SAO? I'm guessing similar benefits will be had, would love any insights from folks that have it installed in their SAO pistol. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe RB only recommends and uses the Sig spec'd factory springs. I recall a statement on the SA website if memory hasn't failed me (again)...
I also had RB install the SS on my my P229 (1993 "German" P229) and my P225-A1 when I sent them in for his "magic".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I installed an SA Superstrut in my P229 Equinox about 6 months ago, which was fairly easy. Last week I re-installed a SA Superstrut in my P226 Legion SAO. I wanted to replace the strut seat with an AC long seat so I could put an AC jet funnel on the gun. I couldn't get the strut to seat in the hammer; had difficulty clearing the safety. Emailed Robert and asked him what the trick was, and he told me I needed to remove the safety, install the strut, and then re-install the safety. Went fine after that; haven't had it to the range yet. It also has the Burke Competition Package, so it will really be impossible to tell how much change in the trigger is due to the competition package vs. the Superstrut. It has one hell of short reset though. In addition, I put a ROMEO1PRO on top. Should be a real shooter. Here it is, shown without its new jet funnel.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
🎖USN Veteran
Sig P220, P226, P227, P228, P365XL, P365XL, M400 TREAD, 716i TREAD, 516 G2 Patrol, MPX K
2,430 Posts
Okay, I looked on the SA website but I can’t figure out how to order just parts. Is it possible to just buy the super strut or does it have to be part of an action job? 🤔

Reactions: STR1
1 - 20 of 56 Posts