SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been googling trying to find what kind of finish is on Sig Sauer pistols. I haven't found a definitive answer, but the closest I can find is "superblack'. Is that correct?

I'm also trying to find out if the finish can be touched up, if there is a way to minimize wear marks myself without spending much $ and also if CPO pistols refurbished at the factory have the finishes restored.

I guess you can tell that I'm looking at used guns...
Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The black finish is called Nitron and is supposed to wear well. I don't think you can touch that up on your own. The CPOs I have seen all have looked like they have had the slide refinished. The SIg Custom shop will refinish your slide for 99.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,011 Posts
I have been googling trying to find what kind of finish is on Sig Sauer pistols. I haven't found a definitive answer, but the closest I can find is "superblack'. Is that correct?

I'm also trying to find out if the finish can be touched up, if there is a way to minimize wear marks myself without spending much $ and also if CPO pistols refurbished at the factory have the finishes restored.

I guess you can tell that I'm looking at used guns...
Thanks.
The others have basically answered your question, as to what it is called... Nitron.
The slide is stainless steel, and conventional bluing is an oxidation process that in most cases will not work on stainless steel, because of the "stainless" elements in the alloy. Conventional "cold blue" formulas are useless on the slide but may be used on the controls, to touch up any nicks or scratches.
As was mentioned, Sig will refinish the slide for $99 +S&H.

The frames are anodized, the best you can hope for , is that the previous owner/user didn't wear rings, and used Hogue rubber wrap around grips. Birchwood Casey has what they call Aluminum Black, which is a chemical reaction with the aluminum and will darken it, and repeated applications will darken it a little more. They also have "Touch up pens" in Flat and gloss black, which are basically lacquer (paint) and help hide the scratches, but need to be re-done every so often.

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Premium Member
18,513 Posts
I've had a couple of slides refinished by SIG, came out looking brand new. The alloy frames, on the other hand, cannot be reanodized easily. The anodize must be removed completely prior to reanodizing as anodizing is an electrical process. Anodize is an electrical insulator, hence preventing effective reanodize.

To effectively remove the anodize requires a soak in an acid bath, this bath removing surface material from the frame. This material removal will change the dimensions of the frame and I know of no way to effectively replace it. Many have had their frames reanodized and happy with the results. Something I don't have the stomach for. And SIG refuses to provide this service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.