SIG Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having never used an ankle Holster, I'd like some feedback from those who have. I'm considering carrying my P238 in an ankle rig. I'm looking for comfort, concealability and accessibility. What would those of you with ankle carry experience recommend. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Plus for ankle holster

I have the Galco, older model for the G26 but it works very well for what I use it for. It is NOT my primary, I prefer a IWB. But for driving (long distance) it is more comfortable while sitting in the car for long periods. I would recommend the optional calf strap if you are going to in and out of your vehicle or walking around. There is a recent "Insider" column by Roy Huntington that has some good insights on Ankle Carry that has some good insights from his perspective.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
I carried a PPKS (all steel, and heavy compared to modern offerings) in an ankle holster for much of the 10 years I was a cop. In uniform, ankle carry for back up was the only practical option. Weight greatly detracts from ankle carry comfort, especially if you have to run.

Like bblr says, avoid ankle carry if possible. If you must go that way, one drawback that cannot be avoided is ready accessibility - from either standing or sitting, there is just no fast way to bring your weapon to bear.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Can't help you. Anything below my waist I'd have to have somebody else draw and reholster for me.

Reactions: Big Cape and Mills

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
The Alessi with the pull-thru retention snap so you could carry it in Condition 1 (Cocked & Locked) would be my choice, too. I would only ankle-carry a BUG to a waist-level belt-carry or pocket-carry, and would even recommend support-hand side pocket carry for a BUG to a more substantial belt holster pistola over ankle carry. That being said, I often carried an ankle rig when doing sit-down meets at restaurants/bars etc. while working U/C. Nothing like being able to surreptitiously cover the OPFOR under the table with a J-frame or Detonics .45 and put it away when things calmed down with no one the wiser...

Moral of the story: Dress around the Gun. Don't settle for a smaller, less "robust" Life Insurance Policy. I would opt for the P938 w/the 6-round magazine for pocket or ankle carry with good holsters that covered the trigger guard and safety catch.

DVC.

·
Premium Member
18,469 Posts
I will respond counter to some of the responses posted so far. Ankle carry is a very good option to carry, especially if one spends considerable time seated, either at a desk or in a vehicle. Having spent many, many hours driving through and around the jewel of the Great Lakes, Daytwa, I have come to have a great appreciation of the benefits of ankle carry. Much better, for me, anyway, than an IWB 3:00 to 5:00 position. And for a backup, it is hard to beat this position. The Galco Ankle Glove and Desantis Die Hard both have excellent retention straps, something I see as critical for ankle carry. I've seen too many instances of a handgun skittering across the floor, falling out of an ankle holster with poor retention.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.