SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

馃帠USAF Veteran Premium Member
P226 Legion LE, P229 Legion LE, P229, P220, P224, P320 X-Vtac, P320 X-Carry Pro, CZ TSO, CZ SP-01
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use Tempilaq for anealing?

I'm using the poor man's method of anealing....with a torch and cordless drill. I'm looking for a way to better guage the proper amount of time in the flame.

I've read a bunch of stuff in other forums about the use of Tempilaq but it seems everyone has their own opinions on what temp to use and where to apply it (outside of case vs inside neck). As of now, I think I'm going to get the 750 degree Tempilaq and put a dot of it inside the case. But I'd like to see if anyone here has some advice on this.

Ultimately, I'm just looking for a more consistent way to determine the time in flame vs just eyeballing it, which is what I've been doing.
Liquid Bottle cap Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle

Registered
Tempilaq is a waste of time & money.

Are you quenching or air cooling?

In a dark environment, w/ propane torch in the kitchen sink, heat the neck to a maroon color & quench in water.

A cherry reddish color is TOO hot.

Do NOT plug the flash hole or the case mouth.

STM tumble.

Done

P226 Legion LE, P229 Legion LE, P229, P220, P224, P320 X-Vtac, P320 X-Carry Pro, CZ TSO, CZ SP-01
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tempilaq is a waste of time & money.

Are you quenching or air cooling?

In a dark environment, w/ propane torch in the kitchen sink, heat the neck to a maroon color & quench in water.

A cherry reddish color is TOO hot.

Do NOT plug the flash hole or the case mouth.

STM tumble.

Done
I'm air cooling. Well, after torching it I drop the rounds onto a damp towel. I don't think water quenching really helps in the process and then requires the brass to be dried which adds a step.

Other than not quenching, I currently do exactly what you mentioned...basically eyeballing it. It just feels like that isn't a very precise way to do it.

Registered
OP,
Which cases are you attempting to anneal?
Platform?

Sized case neck diameter ?
Seated case neck diameter ?
Fired case neck diameter ?

If your fired case neck diameter is .008"-.010" larger than your sized neck diameter, annealing every sizing will not repair the oversized chamber dimensions.

Registered
Applying heat to just one side of the case neck will result in uneven temperature. I hold the case in a deep socket attached to an extension and rotate the case in the flame. I agree that quenching is not required and so I simply dump the cases into a metal can.

Registered
I used a Tempilstick when I first started annealing until I understood just how much treatment was required. I use this socket technique, too.
I hold the case in a deep socket attached to an extension and rotate the case in the flame. I agree that quenching is not required and so I simply dump the cases into a metal can.

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a Tempilstick when I first started annealing until I understood just how much treatment was required. I use this socket technique, too.
This is what I want to do. I just want to make sure I know exactly how long to do it, then once I know the correct time in flame I'll stop using the Tempilaq. I ordered some of it to try. The plan is to use a metronome app on my phone and count the seconds it takes to melt the tempilaq.

I thought about getting the stick, but wasn't exactly sure how to use it. Did you just hold the stick lower on the case just out of the flame until it melted?

Registered
I set a blue torch on the table edge and leave it running
I hold the case in my fingers turning it back and forth. When I begin to feel the heat I dunk it in water, shake out the water and sun dry them on a towel
This works fine for 7&8MM and 308 (I don't load others enough to bother) but I do not anneal 223/5.56 being I pickup so much at the range I rarely load it more than twice so I do not know if that smaller case would work the same way

Registered
Yes, just remove from flame and touch the stick to the brass until it melts. Not as convenient as the paint, but less expensive for something I don't use often.
I thought about getting the stick, but wasn't exactly sure how to use it. Did you just hold the stick lower on the case just out of the flame until it melted?

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Or just get one of these and be done with it...

View attachment 502580
I've looked at them, they are pretty sweet. But I don't do enough to justify the cost. I'd probably get the the Annealeez machine if I was going to buy something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts