SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by a local shop today just to see what's on the shelves and came across this beauty:

1623344197585.jpeg

German frame, chambered in 40S&W with serial number "NHP916" metal stamped on both sides of the frame. I've never seen that serial number prefex and never seen the serial number stamped on both sides of a P239 frame. Unfortunately, there was no case from which to glean any additional info.

Other than the white highlighter in the slide roll mark and the patch of grip tape forward of the TDL, it's a very clean unit that looks to be unfired other than factory test. Also has the SRT.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
The NHP stamping makes me think it was a "New Haven," "New Hampshire," or "North Hamilton" Police sidearm. Probably a CPO that has been color-filled and the grip changed. The Mothership could probably verify. It looks like the previous owner also added a bit of Talon grip material just forward of the takedown lever.

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, it's not that unusual for LE departments to stamp their firearms with a distinctive number which is what I thought when first seeing the left side of the frame in the display case. But then looking at the right side and seeing the same number stamped where the factory SN would normally be puzzled me. There is no other SN visible on the frame.

The spiral roll pin used for the FPPP does suggest it's a CPO unit.

·
Registered
22,185 Posts
Did you buy it? :D

Reactions: TerminalSigness

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Right, it's not that unusual for LE departments to stamp their firearms with a distinctive number which is what I thought when first seeing the left side of the frame in the display case. But then looking at the right side and seeing the same number stamped where the factory SN would normally be puzzled me. There is no other SN visible on the frame.

The spiral roll pin used for the FPPP does suggest it's a CPO unit.
It's still one of those LE guns that's been refurbished/CPOed. The original number on the right is similar to the TXDPS prefix serial numbered P226s of several years ago. The one on the left is marked aftermarket like so many you and I have seen.
A call to SIG CS should clear up the origin of this gun.

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A call to SIG CS should clear up the origin of this gun.
All SIG CS could offer is that it was sold as a "USED/Excellent Condition" CPO in JAN 2021.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
As usual, my reply is prefaced by whether or not you already have one or not. On anything that has been discontinued, for me not having an example already in the fold, adds 20-25% to what I would pay for anything. As it stands I wouldn’t give more than $500 for it as a CPO, because I don’t need it. If it was in perfect condition non CPO with box, I would give $800 because I like them and they will become scarce.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Had it been chambered in 357SIG and come with the case I probably would have. It's very clean.

$849.99
I got a nice, relatively clean, PD 239 in 357 during the recent unpleasantness and it cost me a LOT less than they are asking (and came with case and 2 mags). I called SIG HQ and got a really nice guy I have dealt with before who took the time to dig into the history of the pistol for me. I know when it was made, that it went to a PD first, then was sold as a CPO to the FFL that I bought it from some years prior to my buying it. So, that gave me negotiating leverage with the FFL, since it had been sitting on a shelf for years.

Reactions: TerminalSigness

·
Banned
50 Posts
Just sold in January and already given up on? I wonder how it ended up in the case. My mind wanders on to, "What did they replace it with?".

Price seems high even including the LGS mark up. Then again one of my LGS thinks they can shill the AXG P320's for 1799 and 1899 a pop.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yea, thats extremely high. It is however a PD weapon. Other than finding the provenance for personal reasons it doesn't add to the value. I picked up an unissued Detroit PD 239 with three mags and case for $450 couple years back. But that was before the crazy train came rolling in.

·
Registered
19,479 Posts
Cool serial number. Too bad it’s not 9mm.

Gun says SIGArms, so earlier than 2007.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The LGS comments here surprise me. My 2 favorite gun shops' prices for firearms are always far below what others ask. That's one of the reasons they are "favorites".
Prices for other things are higher since they don't buy in bulk. But I don't mind paying more for these things since I like the personal touch and expertise they provide.

That price seems awfully high even if the P239 is discontinued.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I’ll venture a guess and say it might be a Nevada Highway Patrol trade in. They switched from the 229 in .40 S&W to the 320 last year. I’ve read of one 229 with the NHP prefix that’s from Nevada, so, they might’ve bought some 239s as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts