SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

An Ammo Surprise

4K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  CombatHandgunner 
#1 ·
Like many on this form I had been watching my supply of 9mm ammo dwindle and and have been starting to limit my trips to the range to conserve it. Yesterday I was cleaning out and re-arranging some firearm related stuff stored near my workbench.

I spotted this unopened box sitting under some ammo for my M1. I pulled it out and to my surprise, and absolute delight, it was 1000 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 grain 9mm ammo that I had purchased before Christmas. With the holidays and all that has happened since I had literally forgotten that I had it. It was not until I began to run low on what was stored in my ammo cabinet that I even thought about needing more.

I checked the receipt and realized that I may never see that price again. $169.99 for a 1000 round case with no shipping charges.

Yesterday was a good day!

#2 ·
That's a nice surprise and a nice price. I saw that CTD was selling PMC bronze 9mm for 2 bucks a round.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Never been much "Cheaper Than Dirt" about CTD. More like "lower than dirt".

They implement their own form of: "Never let a good crisis go to waste."

#6 ·
I got lucky and got 1000 rounds on BassPro/Cabelas late June/early July (can't locate the invoice) for $189 shipped.

#12 ·
Finding ammo is the greatest ... like finding treasure you weren't really looking for. Last year about this time I purchased one of those Stack-On ammo cabinets, to finally get all my ammo in one place. Like others I had ammo on shelves, under counters, stashed in ammo boxes here and there.

While sorting and gathering everything together I found ten boxes of Sig .45 acp in what I thought was an empty box ...woohoo! Then when moving a couple of tool boxes, stashed behind them I found five bricks of Aguila HV .22 lr (2500 rounds!:eek:) that I had picked up at Royal King months early. I had bought them on an impulse buy and completely forgot about them after putting them on a shelf in the corner of my gun bench.

#15 ·
I forgot to mention that I purchased the ammo at that great price from TargetSportsUSA.com. I got a number of great deals there.

I went shopping with my wife today. Actually, she shops and I sneak off to the nearest sports or gun store. I had not been in a big store for several months so I went to an Academy Sports nearby to look around.

The sign at the end of the ammo aisle said, “Limit on 9mm. 380 and 45 acp will be 3 boxes per customer.” What a joke. The only ammo on the shelf was a few miscellaneous boxes of rifle cartridges. There was plenty of shotgun ammo available.

I strolled over to the gun display area. In a large display case I counted only 12 pistols and revolvers.

Crazy times.

#20 ·
Hmmm I like your scenario better as I just had the opposite ammo surprise. Case of federal syntech in the closet I thought was still full and un opened was actually empty and just taped shut again with a bunch of spent brass in it

Reactions: Devereaux
#22 ·
Didn't anyone stock-up last year? Prices were cheap, shipping was free, and inventory was plentiful. Did you think the good times where going to last forever? I don't understand why shooters passed on buying ammo at $9 a box but are now willing to pay $32 for the same stuff....this just exacerbates the problem. Please stop buying ammo until the supply chain is replenished, otherwise we risk a multi-year shortage.

#25 ·
I didn't see ALL of the craziness that's happening but I stocked up in January due to this being an election year. (I was pretty well stocked before that). The only ammo I've bought since January was some .22LR Dunhams had on sale for $19.95 a brick (500) and a thousand 9mm Gold Dots with Target sports had them on sale for 40 cents a round.

I had one ammo "find" a few years ago. I had some 10mm, .44 mag and .50AE ammo stored at my Dad's house with his ammo I had forgot about. My Dad called one day laughing and said "are you ever going to get this ammo out of my way". He had an entire big chest full of ammo he'd forgot about. Mine was in the chest with his.

#23 ·
I was rearranging boxes in my nook in the basement. I am relegated to one room downstairs, so things are stacked. Three weeks ago I decided to take an FAL I have owned for at least 10 years to the range and shoot it - for the first time since I bought it. Never seem to have gotten around to it earlier.

So, I went looking for 7.62x51, which I know I bought on sale. Lo and behold - I found two cases of 124gr 9mm. I was getting towards the low end of my 116 gr FMJ stuff and thinking of actually reloading 9mm (also for the first time - hasn't been worth my time before now). Anyway, seems I am putting off reloading that 9mm stuff for a bit. I have .45 ACP to replenish first, plus 5.56. And with the FAL, I may have to start reloading 7.62 NATO. Sure was nice to find those two cases.

#26 ·
The ammo shortage won’t last much longer imo, it’s like the toilet paper frenzy that lasted for a few months until the panic buyers subsided. The pendulum should swing in the other direction bringing the saturation and the prices down hopefully.

#27 ·
9mm is slowly coming down, but it is sporadic. I keep checking ammoseek.com regularly. I also do not believe it will ever come back down to last year's case lot prices. I also wish I had ordered at least two more cases of 9mm and also .380 last year. Oh well. Until the crash I was freely selling my .380acp and .22lr to my two shooting friends. I still had enough .22lr to share but had to tell them I could not spare any more .380. They are OK with that. I watch for halfway decent prices and restock as I can with "to be shared" ammo.

I keep a fairly constant watch on our inventory of 9mm, .380 and .22lr. Hubby is responsible for keeping watch on his .40 and .45acp. I know where all the boxes were "put" so no surprises available for us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.