SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Ammo?

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Sterling Archer 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Just bought a 229 Legion (9mm) and I've got some ammo questions... I'm a small arms marksmanship instructor for the Navy and all I've ever shot is Navy issue brass. That being said, I really have no experience with anything else out there and was hoping to get some advice on a clean reliable round for the range that won't break the bank. I'd take any input on what you use for self defense too.

#4 ·
Like the beancrusher said, Winchester NATO is great for the range, and HST, except I prefer 124gr standard pressure. Just about any FMJ from a reputable manufacturer will be fine, though, for the range. There is a host of good ammo on-line. Blazer Brass is about as good as it gets, but some of the less expensive stuff will be fine also.

#5 ·
Some people actually prefer the CCI or Federal aluminum cased 9MM.

You might want to pay a little extra and buy some different types locally to see if your Sig has a preference but I doubt it will as they eat most anything

Both Target Sports and SGA are good dealers but the best price on Federal HST is here:
https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/collections/ammunition

They have the 124gr and 147gr in both regular and +P.
I use the 124gr +P in my M11A-1s

#8 ·
I've had great results with Winchester American Forged steel cased ammo; it has a copper jacketed boolit too so it's acceptable at most ranges (unless theyre stingy and dont let you shoot steel cased cuz they cant resell it lol). Otherwise, I have had great luck with their white box/the NATO rounds people mention, as well as Blazer. Blazer tends to be about as dirty as, maybe a tad less dirty than, the steel cased Winchester in my opinion.

#10 ·
Check out: "Target Sports USA"

I buy most of my ammo there.

Low prices for 357 SIG, if that's your main interest. Speer Gold Dot and Lawman are incredibly low priced. Quick, efficient shipping. No problems. Ever.

Reactions: halodub
#12 ·
For 9mm target ammo I use Blazer Brass 124 grain. Usually runs between $190-205 for a case of 1,000 rounds. I get a case per month and have never had any problems with it.

targetsportsusa or ammunitiondepot usually have the best prices on it.

#13 ·
Hello Bcuzz, I've never searched for the cheapest ammo I could buy to use in my expensive guns, but have bought from several of the online retailers mentioned. A type of 9MM ammo I know will absolutely, positively, reliably cycle any 9MM pistol or carbine I've ever owned, are the Winchester and IMI 124 grain NATO. Both sealed at case mouth and primer, both with crimped primers. Chronographed velocities with the IMI NATO are slightly higher than the Winchester NATO. There are so many good choices in SD ammo, that as long as you select SD ammo from a major American manufacturer, hard to go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.