SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is the correct forum to put it in, if so, I apologize.
I'm trading an extra 1911 I have for a tactical shotgun and 30 rounds of 00 buck and cash. He offered 12 boxes of rifled slugs at a fair (in todays world) price. I'm tempted to get it for my Remington 1100, but I really don't know what use I'd have for them.
It seems about the only ammo I can find, and that's few and far between, is 357 Sig. The place I usually by from shut down for awhile due to lack of primers, brass, etc. When the reopened a few weeks ago, the price had been raised by $9/50. I'm still tempted to get some because I don't know when this **** will be over.
Another one of my go to sites to get ammo doesn't have hardly any in stock and they're no requiring a minimum purchase of $79.
Should I buy what I can when I can or is this shortage going to be over soon?

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
The earliest the current shortage could end is most likely next spring. Realistically it could run through all of next year. If Biden wins, we could be in for 4 years of this. The answer is that nobody knows because there are too many factors driving the unprecedented demand.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I paid gouger prices for a box of Remington Core-lokt 150 gr 308. Was $30.00 at a local gun shop. Will not be buying anything from him again. Most ammo around here is hard to find.

Last night the Wal mart I want to has plenty of shotgun round, but that does not mean they do in your area. Wal Mart was short or had none of the common ammo for deer hunting.

Scheel`s store around here did not raise prices so they get hit hard for ammo.

Most of the ammo left on the shelf is the more expensive stuff.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Should I buy what I can when I can or is this shortage going to be over soon?
If you have the means, will, and opportunity, buy the ammo.

IMO, the ammo shortage and steep prices we're enduring won't abate until late next year assuming a C-19 national vaccine program is in play, the economy is recovering, and Mr. Trump is re-elected. If Biden is in office, all bets are off and prepare yourself for 4 years of ammo darkness.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The earliest the current shortage could end is most likely next spring. Realistically it could run through all of next year. If Biden wins, we could be in for 4 years of this. The answer is that nobody knows because there are too many factors driving the unprecedented demand.
If conditions and voting numbers bring forth an "anti-gun" presidency, that also means the same conditions and numbers would bring forth an "anti-gun" senate. Only a handful of seats are needed. And the current "anti-gun" house of representatives will no doubt stay. Executive and legislative branches owned by "anti-gun" politicians will write and sign in all kinds of restrictions, new laws, amendments to current policy.

I'm sure one of those restrictions will be legislation on ammo. Expect purchase limits, forms, special ammo-buying permits, and in-person only transactions - no more mail order. Given the chance, for certain they will enact legislation regarding ammo acquisition. This is the turning point. It's going to be an exciting era either way.

Should we luck out next month, the reprieve will only be temporary. Once supply is back up and prices return to normal, it would be smart to buy like it's never going to be available again. Consider it an IRA contribution.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I stocked up over last 12 years. I bought a little here and a little there. Now I am ammo rich and I did not break the bank. Around here all of the common calibers are in short supply or nonexistent. Handguns are also in short supply.

This time the shortages are causes by first time buyers. Or I should say mostly first time buyers.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I stocked up over last 12 years. I bought a little here and a little there. Now I am ammo rich and I did not break the bank. Around here all of the common calibers are in short supply or nonexistent. Handguns are also in short supply.

This time the shortages are causes by first time buyers. Or I should say mostly first time buyers.
The shortages are also being caused by the lack of ammunition components; primers, bullets and casings available to manufacturers.

Reactions: JGKC9AYC

·
Registered
34,930 Posts
If Biden gets in and Congress goes blue, ammo won’t be the problem.
Owning guns will be the problem.

I have always thought the way to effectively disarm us, is liability laws.
Not confiscation, just to expensive to hold out. To expensive to make more and sell them.

The dems tried liability laws before, but they did not have the votes.

I am not selling, but I am not buying more right now.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts

This is the way to go. I learned from the last shortage and had been stockpiling of primers, powder and bullets. A little here and there every month since 2012 has paid dividends for me.

I also load for friends that missed the stockpiling boat :lol:.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if one had a favorite caliber, would a $9 price increase for 50 be a deal breaker?

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
No. As you can tell, people who are desperate for ammo will pay more than the $9 increase per 50 rounds. Even reloaders who didn’t stock up on primers are paying more than $100 for a box of 1000 primers which use to be $30/1000.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Back around 2008 and the first panic all of the 100 round boxes of WWB 9mm disappeared from the shelves of Wal Mart . At the time Wal Mart sold these for $10 and change, There was a gun show that weekend. All of that 9mm ammo showed up there for $62 a box and there was a lot of it. There was no one buyimg though. That is the panic I got caught short in,

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
This whole ammo shortage situation brings up another thought. If TSHTF big time how are we going to deal with that. I understand the ammo producers are going full power forward now and can not surge for various reasons. On top of that we have this election coming up. As one member said, if Biden get elected ammo won't be the problem, gun will be. Interesting times are ahead.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This whole ammo shortage situation brings up another thought. If TSHTF big time how are we going to deal with that. I understand the ammo producers are going full power forward now and can not surge for various reasons. On top of that we have this election coming up. As one member said, if Biden get elected ammo won't be the problem, gun will be. Interesting times are ahead.
Hopefully, Vista Outdoor's winning bankruptcy bid for REMINGTON's Ammo facility will bring that production back on line soon. I've been buying 9mm Federal American Eagle direct through Vista's on-line sales for $19.99/50. Comes in waves and sells out quickly, but better than nothing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,930 Posts
I just got an email from Target Sports.
They held their standard pricing in the Obama shortage.Was out a lot, but no increases.

They just sent this in an update on how to check their inventory.

BUT WHERE IS ALL THE AMMO?

As I am sure you have noticed by now, inventory levels are not what they used to be - this is due to the nationwide ammo shortage. We are thankful to be in a unique position where we are able to purchase the elephant share directly from the manufacturers, but there still just isn't enough to go around! So why is this happening?
It's a perfect storm:
HUGE increase in NEW shooters (Welcome to our community!)
Panic buying, similar to the toilet paper shortage
Manufacturers just can't produce enough due to component shortages
Election Year Boost, there is always an increase of buying in an election year but this is by far the largest spike.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Back around 2008 and the first panic all of the 100 round boxes of WWB 9mm disappeared from the shelves of Wal Mart . At the time Wal Mart sold these for $10 and change, There was a gun show that weekend. All of that 9mm ammo showed up there for $62 a box and there was a lot of it. There was no one buyimg though. That is the panic I got caught short in,
Something needs done to people.
I'm not opposed to someone wanting to make a profit, but geez!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts