SIG Talk banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bought a new rifle - LGS acted like I was privileged to be able to buy 400 rounds Fiochii 556 at $.59 - sign of the times - he keeps ammo in the back for gun buyers and regulars ONLY.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Bought a new rifle - LGS acted like I was privileged to be able to buy 400 rounds Fiochii 556 at $.59 - sign of the times
That is a good price right now. What were prices on .223/5.56 before all of the shortages hit? I know 9mm range stuff was in the 15-20 cents a round pre-shortage, and is now at about 35-40 cents a round at places that are not price gouging. But I didn't buy much 223/556.

·
Registered
Lots of guns...
59 Posts
That is a good price right now. What were prices on .223/5.56 before all of the shortages hit? I know 9mm range stuff was in the 15-20 cents a round pre-shortage, and is now at about 35-40 cents a round at places that are not price gouging. But I didn't buy much 223/556.
My last big purchase of 556 was a few years ago and after shipping it was under 30c per round. Last week I got some 223 for about 65c per round after tax at a LGS. I prefer 556, but 223 will go bang too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment 396526
My haul yesterday. Shored up some low spots in my inventory. Shouldn't need to buy any more for some time.
I might just be too young to know if there is a consensus opinion about Silvertip as I know it has a long history, but some pretty casual gel tests I did recently with a number of common defense loads had the Silvertip performing exactly as you would want it to. I previously only bought it if there was nothing else, but I think I'm willing to prioritize it over other options at this point.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The only silver tip I shoot is in my Seecamp because that’s all it will eat. It’s good ammo but there are lots of others that are about the same.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
I used go with Silvertips almost across the board some decades back because it was at the time the least penetrative hollow point of the commonly used/available ones, and they always fed fine. Don't know if that 's still true and didn't realize until fairly recently that they still make them, but I've gone with Hornady XTP.

Reactions: WhiskeySauer

·
Registered
506 Posts
2016-17 I bought Century Arms Red Army Standard (OEM is Vympel) steel cased 56gr. FMJ .223 for $0.18/rd --
Great practice ammo with a factory sealed neck and primer pocket, and excellent QC.

·
Registered
106 Posts
at that price - would only buy if I was out of ammo
Agree. A few weeks ago I paid about $46 for a 50 round box of V-Crown Elite 124 gr JHP. Even at that price I wasn’t particularly happy, but Defensive ammo has been extra-extra difficult to find in my area.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Was in Bass pro.They had lots of 5.56 and various odd rounds but also had Winchester silver box 45 230gr FMJ for $27.99 /50
The trend for prices is lower but the question is when to buy as in will Beijing Biden say something to regenerate the panic mode
If not for Biden and his mouth I would say wait until you have to buy something essential

·
Registered
174 Posts
View attachment 396526
My haul yesterday. Shored up some low spots in my inventory. Shouldn't need to buy any more for some time.
Been a while since I have seen any 10mm I would of had a hard time passing up some boxes of the Sig 180gr. Other than underwood which has been Out of Stock for so long now I have lost track that Sig V crown is one of my favorite 10mm rounds for the range.

·
Registered
P365
69 Posts
Bass Pro and Academy both had price increases this week; I’m informed (by two people I know in the ammo distribution channel) that another wave of pricing increases are slated for June 1.
Production and supplies are up, but so are retail prices. That seems counter-intuitive, but if you think about it for awhile, it’s not hard to figure out what’s going on.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
There's 2 types of prices, and availability. Places with decent prices have low stock and a purchase limit. Place with plenty of stock have high prices and plenty of ammo, with no limits.

The shortage has been over for a while.

·
Registered
198 Posts
As long as every 1000 rounds case of 9mm on GB sells at $600-$700 plus tax and shipping prices won’t be dropping. The market is eating up .70 rounds of 9mm ammo as fast as it is listed. Only good news is that it was .80 to $1 a couple of months ago.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts