SIG Talk banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm located on the eastern shore of Maryland. LGS has .556 green tip averaging $0.90 cents a round and 9 mm target ammo averaging $0.65 a round. Has both regularly in stock which I found surprising.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's still high, but I can still get what I need for now. I can get a box of 50 of .45acp for 55.00 and a box of 50 for my .308 for 54.00. I did get a zip lock bag of 50 of Steel core .308 for 40.00

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought Winchester USA Lake City M193 Rifle Ammunition 5.56mm 55gr FMJ 3240 fps 200/ct from Natchez for $150/ box earlier today. First time 5.56 was available. I hope they actually have it and will send it to me.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
I almost bought 300 rounds of 9mm for 200.00. Backed out because I can’t see paying that for range ammo. I may regret it later, but it’s too steep when I still have some.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How are all of you buying "cheap ammo" (a relative term these days) online at such-and-such per round and not having to pay hazmat and shipping costs which raises the price per round exponentially? A 50 ct box of 30 cents per round 9mm range ammo costs that plus $15.00 in hazmat fees and minimum $9 in 3-5 day shipping. That more than doubles the price when you hit the purchase button.

Or am I missing something? Now I get it, the more you buy the less the actual hazmat fee breaks down cost per round or per pound (when ordering powder) but still ... I'm confused about some of these online order prices I'm seeing claimed here. Not disputing anyone word ... just trying to figure-out what I am apparently doing wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
How are all of you buying "cheap ammo" (a relative term these days) online at such-and-such per round and not having to pay hazmat and shipping costs which raises the price per round exponentially? A 50 ct box of 30 cents per round 9mm range ammo costs that plus $15.00 in hazmat fees and minimum $9 in 3-5 day shipping. That more than doubles the price when you hit the purchase button.

Or am I missing something? Now I get it, the more you buy the less the actual hazmat fee breaks down cost per round or per pound (when ordering powder) but still ... I'm confused about some of these online order prices I'm seeing claimed here. Not disputing anyone word ... just trying to figure-out what I am apparently doing wrong.
Yup. You’re missing the fact that there’s no hazmat fee for ammo.

Shipping fees are additional though.

·
Registered
P365, P365 XL, M400 TREAD
35 Posts
Between outrageous online pricing and shipping costs I only purchase in store. Most LGS down here (Austin, Tx) either won't sell you any outright, or have a ridiculous mark up so I tend to just make some morning runs to the larger chain stores. Fortunately I have the free time to do so lately. I have managed to regularly get a decent stock of the more popular calibers like 9mm, .223/5.56, .308/7.62x51 - And I see many others more often than not. It sells quickly but it has become more commonplace so that is encouraging as of late. 9mm FMJ is typically running around $0.30 - $0.35/round, .223/5.56 FMJ around $0.60 - $0.65 / round and .308/7.62x51 FMJ just about $1/round.

Academy, Field and Stream (Dick's), and Bass Pro/Cabela's are the big stores I find this stuff at fairly commonplace a few times a week.
If you have a GT Distributor's in your area they always have ammo on the shelf it seems.

Was very excited to walk into Academy last week and pick up 2 of these off the shelves. ($269/ea. Still sucks at the register)

While still expensive compared to "normal" prices a year and change ago, These stores do not seem to mark up. This is just the MSRP nowadays sadly.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Hazmat is charged for cans of gun powder and primers for reloading not for ammunition
Interestingly new primed cases do not require a hazmat charge

·
Registered
162 Posts
NorthEast Ohio here and if you want to pay the gouge prices you can find it at LGS, sporting goods, and Amish sporting good stores. The stores that sold it at a "fair" price had lines out the door but were still selling 14.99 for 50rds. That has gone up now to 21.99 for 50. I got three boxes of Federal last Wed. for 21.99 a box. The sales rep said they are starting to get larger shipments.

View attachment 394738
Did you say Amish sporting goods stores? That's pretty cool. I've spent a lot of time in Ohio Amish country, but never saw an Amish sporting goods store.
Good for them! Capitalism is alive and well. :)

BTW, $22/box? Not too bad (relatively speaking of course).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I still don’t get it. Manufacturers say they are producing at maximum rate, but we consumers are not seeing much available. Where is the ammo going?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you say Amish sporting goods stores? That's pretty cool. I've spent a lot of time in Ohio Amish country, but never saw an Amish sporting goods store.
Good for them! Capitalism is alive and well. :)

BTW, $22/box? Not too bad (relatively speaking of course).
There are a few in Wayne and Holmes counties that are owned and run by the Amish. Those are the ones that I have been to, I'm sure there are more.

On a side note I was able to get the same deal this past Wed. 3 boxes of Federal at 21.99 a box. With tx that's 48c per round which is high but cheaper than anyone else close to us. I picked these up for a buddy who could not get there. Per the sales rep, customers are tailgating at 6:00 am, playing corn hole, have their donuts, coffee and chairs out! LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m trying to get an idea what other parts of the country are paying for ammo. In Western NY 5.56/.223 seems to be almost non existent and when I have found it I end up paying almost $1 per round. Is this the same case in other parts of the country? Also, I see some are having luck at Cabela’s yet I have not had any luck finding anything of use at Cabela’s in months.
Two months ago a purchased 6 boxes of 9mm in S. California from a gun store just along the border for one box of 50 cartridges at $35.00. The salesman told me that the prices were high because of a high demand, he further stated that some gun stores were selling their 9mm ammo anywhere from $50.00 to $70.00 for one box of 50 cartridges.
Just several months prior to that I was buying that exact same ammo brand of 9mm for $8.00

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think generally speaking ammo prices are dropping. For the last 8 months I've been using 9mm as the pricing benchmark, and monitoring Gunbroker as the national pricing model. In short, what people are willing to pay. About 3 months ago, 9mm was selling for $1.00/round (well more like $1 + per round). I just checked this morning and auctions are about to close at more like $.65-$.70/round.

More importantly, the folks listing 9mm at $1.00/round as their starting price are getting zero bids with the auction about to close. Now THAT is progress. I'm not ready to celebrate,
or claim the pricing war and hoarding is over, but it does tell me the masses have had enough and either A) Are being more patient, or B) Have a closet full and their wife is going to
leave them if they buy another box. :p

The point as others have said, decent retail deals are out there. Go to you big box sporting goods stores and ask them when they get their ammo shipments in. For example, Bass Pro gets it in on Wednesday night, so Thur morning is the time to show up. 5.56 should be about $.50-$.70/round now.
It's too early for me to buy anything. I am betting that the current hoarding of ammo will backfire once we are back to normal. I have enough of everything from pre COVID19. It's just that I try to make sure I don't run out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
.70 cents to a buck a round in the mid-atlantic. If you can find it at stores, when the trucks come in, it is cheaper, but you are generally limited to a couple of boxes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I still don’t get it. Manufacturers say they are producing at maximum rate, but we consumers are not seeing much available. Where is the ammo going?
There is still hundreds of thousands of panic stricken gun guys that are still willing to pay $.50 / rnd at their LGS's . There is SO much greed and money to be made in ammo industry that until the panic'ed idiots STOP buying ammo with the mentallity of "just because I saw it on the shelf" we will never steer the ammo market back to a buyers market with excess supply and less demand. Plain and simple. My co-worker whom recently got into handloading had to wait 2 hrs in line prior to his LGS opening to get a chance at buying ONE brick only of primers. He did get a brick and it was $90. That same brick just 1-1/2 year ago pre panic was $32.99.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
What can be done, rationally and feasibly? Would we accept some form of government regulation/rationing given that they will indeed rescind (yes, huge leap of faith there) once things start to 'even out'? Or will we just have to literally 'bite the bullet' and endure this as a natural by-product of a free capitalist society....hoping that at some point people will stop panicking, hoarding and scalping (also a leap of faith)?

Reactions: CovertCarry
41 - 60 of 107 Posts