SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
388 Posts
My LGS hasn’t been able to buy anything directly from a wholesaler...he’s a new business so he doesn’t have any “standing” with them to get far enough up on the list. So he’s stuck buying from middlemen...which means in order to even turn a $2 profit on a box of 9mm FMJ, he’s selling it for $1/round. I suspect a lot of places are in the same boat...I think the days of $20 for a box of 100 WWB 9mm are just going to be stories we tell our grandkids!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I’ve talked with “people” at my local Cabela’s. They either don’t know what day ammo arrives or won’t tell me. The only day I can get there early is Friday. Good luck with that! Glad I have a bit of a cushion! LGS around here sell out immediately.

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
300Blk showed up and I put it in cart, went to buy and apparently, someone was faster..
Who is able to buy all this ammo? Where the hell is it? I dont know one person who is able to , and or throughout the forums I frequent. No one.

·
Registered
17,721 Posts
Ammo is fairly available all over the internet and at the LGS/indoor range I shoot at every week.

So is powder if you look long and hard enough and occasionally, primers too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ammunition is non existent here in Southern Arizona in the stores. Same for reloading supplies. I buy what I need to get by online from local sellers when possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
NorthEast Ohio here and if you want to pay the gouge prices you can find it at LGS, sporting goods, and Amish sporting good stores. The stores that sold it at a "fair" price had lines out the door but were still selling 14.99 for 50rds. That has gone up now to 21.99 for 50. I got three boxes of Federal last Wed. for 21.99 a box. The sales rep said they are starting to get larger shipments.

·
Registered
36 Posts
$11 box of ammo labeled “low price” at $22.
Unfortunately I don’t find the irony amusing.
<sigh>
I guess it’s good that it’s in the shelf, at least.
Ha ha on the shelf? Oh I didn't say that. At 21.99 it goes from the shipment box to the gun counter to the register. This particular (Dunhams) store opens at 9 and any 380 and 9mm is gone by 10:30. The line starts at 6am and its the same people there every week. I imagine most of this will be sold in the parking lot or entry lines at gun shows.

If you want to see shelf ammo you have to go to "The Fin" or "The Den" where its $28-$32 with a 1 box limit.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Ammo is scarce and expensive when you find it....everywhere!!!
Going to be that way for a while.
I agree. A friend of mine is a LEO, and his dept just placed a 12,000 round order. 8-12 months before they'll receive it. If PD's are struggling that far out, it isn't over for the average joe.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ha ha on the shelf? Oh I didn't say that. At 21.99 it goes from the shipment box to the gun counter to the register. This particular (Dunhams) store opens at 9 and any 380 and 9mm is gone by 10:30. The line starts at 6am and its the same people there every week. I imagine most of this will be sold in the parking lot or entry lines at gun shows.

If you want to see shelf ammo you have to go to "The Fin" or "The Den" where its $28-$32 with a 1 box limit.
Oof!

A friend/colleague just came to me excited he made the decision to become a first time gun owner.

It makes the present stupidity all the more frustrating.:mad:

ETA: I guess at least he won’t have a recollection of “normal” times to discourage him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oof!

A friend/colleague just came to me excited he made the decision to become a first time gun owner.

It makes the present stupidity all the more frustrating.:mad:

ETA: I guess at least he won’t have a recollection of “normal” times to discourage him.
It's very frustrating, however I do believe it is getting better. That was the first time back to this store in six weeks, after two dry runs I said heck with it. But to my point the gun counter rep said they are seeing bigger shipments in recent weeks and that 21.99 a box I paid was 23.99 in the last shipment.

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Kind of got a Christmas gift. Forgot I was on back order for some ammo, from Aug 2020. They kept to the price to that I back ordered on.
PMC X-Tac M855 Green Tip, 5.56x45mm NATO, FMJ, 62 Grain, 500 Rounds
250 with shipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Northern Utah Here. Our LGS had a big shipment of browning .223 the other day that they were selling for 15 a box, and that was the best price and quantity I had seen in probably 3 months. 9mm tends to be sporadic shipments of defensive rounds in slightly more obscure brands, but generally at least 1 dollar per round. I haven't seen FMJ since early December. I haven't seen any 300 blk since before then.

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
So it's still getting worse? :oops:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm literally in Palmetto State Armory's back yard ... not far from their JJE Corporate offices and their flagship main store. A quarter mile from there is the #4 busiest Sportsman's Warehouse in the country ... right here in Columbia, SC. Right down the road from there is a super busy Academy Sports.

I check all three regularly plus my LGS places ... two of them.

Ammo is coming back, I'm seeing it on all the shelves off and on - it doesn't last long. What I am not seeing are major price drops. 5.56x45 is still .70-.80 cents a round. Range ammo in 9mm is in the same ballpark, which boggles my mind. Good PD 9mm is ridiculously expensive everywhere ... $1.20-$1.35 a round. There were a few pallets of 40 S&W that showed-up at Sportsman's Warehouse a few weeks ago ... range ammo. $38 for a box of 50. Stupid expensive, two box limit, completely gone inside of 48 hours.

Reloading components are still non-existent here from Columbia to Augusta to Charlotte to Greenville to Myrtle Beach to Charleston.

Now, there does seem to be various .338 loads available everywhere around here ... go figure. Name it in .338 and we've got it (except for .338 MX unfortunately) but not that many people shoot .338 anything apparently and what is on the shelves is crazy expensive.

Shooter's Choice in West Columbia, they keep getting ammo-in but man oh man is it expensive ... mostly 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP and mostly range ammo, all of it nearly $1.00 a round and they have probably the finest indoor range facilities in the state ... even better than PSA's. What Shooter's Choice has also done is offer to sell ammo to new gun buyers but they no longer give 30 minutes of free range time to new gun buyers ... insurance rates have skyrocketed for indoor ranges in the past three months from what I am hearing.

So no, we are not seeing things return to normal down here. While ammo availability is getting better, it doesn't last long and it remains ludicrously expensive compared to what it was 18 months ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, ammoseek is what I use too. I have a personal limit of .30/rd for 9mm and .40 for 45 ACP. Pre-pandemic I was paying .18-20/rd for 9mm and .28-.32 for 45 ACP.

I stocked up quite a bit at those prices so I haven't needed to purchase any from the highway robbery that's currently going on.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts