SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to get an idea what other parts of the country are paying for ammo. In Western NY 5.56/.223 seems to be almost non existent and when I have found it I end up paying almost $1 per round. Is this the same case in other parts of the country? Also, I see some are having luck at Cabela’s yet I have not had any luck finding anything of use at Cabela’s in months.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Northern Rockies checking in.

Things are hit and miss in my town, both with what comes in and being able to find it. Right place-right time is 100% applicable. Sometimes I’ll go weeks without being able to score ammo; sometimes I’ll find it a couple of times in the same week. Stores put it out when they get it, but they get it at random times on random days.

Most places have a 2 box limit.

Last week I bought 60 rounds of Winchester M198 @ 60¢/round. It was all they had left. It was the first 5.56/.223 I’d seen in a while. $12 for a box of WWB 5.56. It makes me sick. Last week I also found some Aguila .22LR, 250 round bulk for $15.

The same week, another store had some bulk 223 FMJ that was about 85¢/round. It stayed on the shelf a while, but eventually sold. The fact that it sold at all saddens me. I hope at least it wasn’t reman.

On my way home from work today I picked up some Sig V-Crown Elite 124 gr 9mm. 50 round boxes @ $45 each. I felt violated, but I don’t recall ever feeling not violated while buying defensive ammo. It was my only find this week, and I needed some defensive ammo.

A few weeks ago while in S Utah I bout a box of Aguila 230 gr FMJ .45 acp for $20. It was on a whim, as I was heading out to shoot with some folks. Otherwise I’da passed on it. I need some good .45 acp HP (NOT FMJ). It’s really going to sting if/when I find it.

I have a personal price threshold for range ammo of about 35¢/round for 9mm and .65¢ for .223. I wish those thresholds were lower.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
5.56 green tip available pretty often at our local Bass Pro for $90/150. 8 boxes per customer if your a Cabela's/BP "club" member.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
The other day I was in my LGS having a conversation with the owner and asked him where all his ammo was. He said he only sells ammo to regular customers and gun purchasers. Said he’s not selling ammo to people who turn around and sell it at gun shows. I respect that and ask if he had any 45 acp fmj and he did at $28 for 50 rounds. Two box limit so I bought two. PMC bronze, not the best but not bad. This is a mom and pop shop that’s been around for 40 years. I appreciate them looking out for their regulars and not succumbing to greed like the gun show thieves.

·
Registered
P320XCompact
24 Posts
Prices in GA are similar if you can find it but a friend randomly stopped at a Sports Academy for something else and they had 100rds of Winchester 9mm for $35.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think generally speaking ammo prices are dropping. For the last 8 months I've been using 9mm as the pricing benchmark, and monitoring Gunbroker as the national pricing model. In short, what people are willing to pay. About 3 months ago, 9mm was selling for $1.00/round (well more like $1 + per round). I just checked this morning and auctions are about to close at more like $.65-$.70/round.

More importantly, the folks listing 9mm at $1.00/round as their starting price are getting zero bids with the auction about to close. Now THAT is progress. I'm not ready to celebrate,
or claim the pricing war and hoarding is over, but it does tell me the masses have had enough and either A) Are being more patient, or B) Have a closet full and their wife is going to
leave them if they buy another box. :p

The point as others have said, decent retail deals are out there. Go to you big box sporting goods stores and ask them when they get their ammo shipments in. For example, Bass Pro gets it in on Wednesday night, so Thur morning is the time to show up. 5.56 should be about $.50-$.70/round now.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I’m trying to get an idea what other parts of the country are paying for ammo. In Western NY 5.56/.223 seems to be almost non existent and when I have found it I end up paying almost $1 per round. Is this the same case in other parts of the country? Also, I see some are having luck at Cabela’s yet I have not had any luck finding anything of use at Cabela’s in months.
I was told you have to get there as early as 6 am a and stand in line.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Southeastern PA here. I was at a local gun store yesterday that also has a range.

9mm 115 gr was $45.00/box of 50 with 2 box limit (Winchester I believe)
No .45 ACP available

Funny thing was they had 5.7 available which is usually never around. Did not see 5.56 although that round is not permitted at the range (yet).

·
Registered
35 Posts
ammo is hit or miss up here in New England. Your going to pay about $40 for a box of 9mm . Forget about finding 223/5.56 ammo. I handload so my focus is on reloading components and those are slowly coming back. Primers are available but strict 100 ct or 200 ct limits (i'm glad for this as it eliminates the scumbag flippers, and allows all honest customers in need product availability) I pre-planned for this many years ago and I have no need to pay stupid panic prices.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here in northern Illinois, I used to only buy ammo at Farm & Fleet or my LGS. Both have had bare shelves for the last 10 months. The gun shop gets ammo occasionally, but I usually miss it. My brother-in-law works at another gun shop an hour away, and just got me 2 boxes of Winchester Active Duty 9mm 115GR FMJ, 100-Packs for $53 each ($.53 cpr), which I assume is close to their cost. Best deal I could find, lately. Online prices have been too crazy, for me.
I’ve heard about Bass Pro shoppers standing in line at sunrise, like junkies at a methadone clinic, but there’s not one close to me.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I have a table at the local EC-FLA gun show.
Attendance and sales and sales dropped 50% from early Feb to the late March show
The large ammo dealer had more ammo since last fall and did not sell out
Prices pulled back slightly on some things but 380 was higher than ever

IMO if Biden and the commicrats shut up for a couple months we see a downward trend in prices and an increase in availability
If they make a big move on AR/AKs there is no telling on how stupid prices and lack of inventory will spike on 223/5.56 7.62X39 the rifles and magazines and of course it could drag up prices on all ammo and a new surge in the panic

Stay tuned. There is no shortage of stupid

Reactions: Andy105

·
Registered
941 Posts
Using ammoseek.com as my benchmark; I agree that prices seem to have peaked and are slowly drifting downward.

I set a personal threshold limit of 40cents/rnd. for 9mm, and it's nowhere near that yet. Currently .65 to .75. for new brass. And ..I'll take up archery before I pay that much or stoop to using that cheap Russian steel....

Meanwhile.....I'm limiting my weekly range time to 50 rounds 9mm and 100 rounds of 22LR to stretch my supply. Saving my 45ACP and 357 for a rainy day.

I have been finding bulk copper plated HV 22LR for 12-16 cents. Enjoying my 22 pistols more these days!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was in a local sporting goods store yesterday and bought some archery supplies. On my way out I noticed some 22lr on a rack at the counter. Since 22 is sometimes hard to find I took a look at what they had. They had 550 round Winchester balk ammo for $85 and 100 round CCI mini mags for $18. Wow.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
10,920 Posts
I'm in Georgia and my LGS sells 9mm ammo for $31 per box of 50. 2 box limit per customer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
NE Ohio here, No 9mm to be found at stores, people at gun shows want $60-$80 for 50, they can choke on it at that price. One guy at a show had some 9mm ammo at $50 a box, I offered him $45 for what he was purporting to be as a box of Federal Hydroshocks, luckily I asked to open the box before money changed hands and found they were home (and not very well done) reloads.

Local gun shop did have some .45 ACP Federal white box at $50 for 50, no way am I going to pay that. I have been a very good, long time customer of theirs but I am going to shop elsewhere from now on. I understand they want to stop scalpers, but they know that I am not one.

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
Ammo is scarce and expensive when you find it....everywhere!!!
Going to be that way for a while.

Reactions: hodge

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ammo prices are crazy everywhere I think. I’m in Memphis, and prices continue to fluctuate. I get lucky at Academy Sports every once in a while. I shoot .40 S&W and 300 Blackout, and the Blackout is like trying to find a unicorn. Luckily I run into private parties who sell ammo to me at reasonable prices. And most recently got lucky making a purchase through SigTalk. Just have to keep looking. Try looking on Armslist as well, I get lucky from time to time on there too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The range/LGS I go to here in south Florida charges $27 including tax for a box of 50 (124 FMJ by Sellier & Bellot) with a 2 box limit. I know other ranges in the area charge $50 for a box of 50 range ammo. No 380 ACP and they haven't had any JHP for months.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The range I use in central FL is outrageous - $40/box for 9mm 115 FMJ Norma, $50/box for Sig .45acp 230 FMJ. The shelves are full at those prices !
Got lucky last week & caught some posted by Sig for $23/box (9mm 115 FMJ) and scooped up 500 rnds !

I have also been using AmmoSeek as a benchmark to monitor prices & they have been drifting lower ever so slowly.
Also noticing it does not seem to be flying off the shelves when posted like it had been. One place had Norma posted for weeks on end between $26 & $30 (but their shipping was robbery) and it was clearly not moving as fast as they had expected !

I keep eyeballing new .45's but until I can lay in a supply of reasonably priced, quality ammo holding off on that purchase.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts