SIG Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question: Looking at online ammo sites, there are many ammo choices in 9mm. Different bullet types and grain weights. I don't want to break the bank while learning to shoot my new Sig.

What is a good ammo to use while learning at the range?
What is a good ammo for home protection to have on hand?

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Congratulations on your new piece. Seen them at gun shows and they seem great based on reviews and having never fired one.

I would go FMJ the first 200-300 rounds or so, clean the firearm, and then start using hollow points to test the weapon for what you would carry. Fiocci and American Eagle make a 124 grain FMJ round that is inexpensive but decent range quality. Hollow points through a new gun can cause burring issues which I know from personal experience.

As far as carry, it is personal choice but hollow points are the LEO standby so that is good enough for me. Speer Gold Dots, Hornady Critical defense at 124 grain are both better than good but it is sort of budget dependent if you range fire often enough to stay proficient so try different rounds to see what your firearm does NOT like. Some guns won't have any problems with different rounds and some (especially the compacts) are more finicky and will puke on certain ammo. Enjoy the new toy.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Another question: Looking at online ammo sites, there are many ammo choices in 9mm. Different bullet types and grain weights. I don't want to break the bank while learning to shoot my new Sig.

What is a good ammo to use while learning at the range?
What is a good ammo for home protection to have on hand?

Thanks for your help guys!
For the range I use Blazer Brass 115gr or 124gr mainly because it is so reliable and so cheap to buy (I buy in bulk - Way cheaper). I get that with no shipping charge.

As for HD/SD, after doing some research a few years ago, for me the Federal Premium HST LE 147gr (SP) (P9HST2) or the 124gr (SP) (P9HST1) are the obvious choices.. You can get them in boxes of 50 online anywhere from $20.00 - $30.00 a box.

There are many different types that will work but for me, I stick with what I know.

And congrats on your new gun!!

Reactions: daveday99

·
Registered
363 Posts
I use HST 124gr for carry/HD. I shoot 124gr federal (American Eagle) FMJ.
Shoot what you carry, or as close to as possible.

Reactions: daveday99
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.