SIG Talk banner

Ammo Cases For The Range

1972 Views 20 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Dawg
I was curious if anyone knew of more ammo cases than the 1 I found below, or is this basically the only show in town? I am looking for more options like this with the hard shell bottoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts

· Premium Member
14,244 Posts
Oh my, I have 20-25 ammo cans full of loose ammo. :eek: Gonna damage it all, I guess!

Each can is clearly marked with the caliber contained, I find reaching in and grabbing a handful of rounds much easier that using the MTM style ammo boxes. I own many of the MTM and Dillon ammo boxes but the all sit empty on my reloading bench.

I have never, ever damaged a round using the bulk storage method I prefer.

· Registered
452 Posts
Oh my, I have 20-25 ammo cans full of loose ammo. :eek: Gonna damage it all, I guess!

Each can is clearly marked with the caliber contained, I find reaching in and grabbing a handful of rounds much easier that using the MTM style ammo boxes. I own many of the MTM and Dillon ammo boxes but the all sit empty on my reloading bench.

and hopefully you never will have a problem :) but if you did you wouldn't post here about it now lol ;)

I never wore a seatbelt as a kid & survived

· Banned
1,544 Posts

^Breath. Re-read. It's Friday, we're all in a rush. ;)

· Registered
602 Posts
Ammo can. In the box or loose. Depending on what my goal is for the day. I typically only have 9 mm or 9 & 38.

Edit, or 223/556

· Registered
602 Posts
I was curious if anyone knew of more ammo cases than the 1 I found below, or is this basically the only show in town? I am looking for more options like this with the hard shell bottoms.

I saw that Sootch shilled those cans you posted. That, alone, will keep me from considering them, lol.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I will often shoot 4 - 6 different calibers when I go to the range, and I don't always shoot all the same calibers each time, so I am not going to mix them all up loose in one ammo box. I don't reload so I keep the ammo in the cardboard boxes that the manufacturer sells it in. I store different calibers in separate 50 caliber steel ammo boxes.

I take one steel 50 cal box, or sometimes a smaller 30 caliber sized plastic box to the range, and put in it whatever boxes of ammo I plan to shoot that given day.

· Premium Member
14,244 Posts
^Breath. Re-read. It's Friday, we're all in a rush. ;)
OK, thank you for your concern. But, actually, my breathing is just fine. (Well, except for the fact that I just finished an hour of cardio, maintaining an average heart rate of 148 bpm and am a bit gassed. :D ) I guess my point is this, damage to a handgun by firing the wrong caliber, is pretty unlikely. (I'm not going to step into the rifle weeds at this point) I've fired plenty of the wrong caliber cartridges in handguns to feel pretty confident in saying no damage is going to come to the handgun. The only way a round will chamber in the handgun is if the caliber of the cartridge is smaller than the caliber of the handgun. ie, 9mm cartridge in a 40 S&W handgun. If the cartridge is of a bigger caliber than the handgun, it just won't chamber and hence, will not fire.

By process of elimination, the only damage that I can see in this scenario is the loose ammo in the ammo can. As I said, I have multiple 30 cal and 50 cal ammo cans full of loose ammo (each can containing only one caliber of ammo), none of it has been damaged.

Thanks again for your concern.

· Registered
295 Posts
Malicious, I put a .40s&w in a.45 and pulled the trigger, sounded strange, I checked and sure enough wrong caliber. But no damage. Sure don't want to do that on a regular basis. Something could go wrong!

Also, .300 blackout has been forced into a.223 chamber with catastrophic results. I have read about it, never seen it in person.

· Registered
1,926 Posts
Ya I have about 7-8 of these for storage but a tad overkill for a range trip .. at least for me. I normally bring about 2-300 per gun so these are way overkill and a pain to transport
I never ride my bicycle to the range, I am certain I could transport atleast 20 of these if necessary. I would be driving a Dually or Enclave, a small car should have no trouble carrying a couple.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I never ride my bicycle to the range, I am certain I could transport atleast 20 of these if necessary. I would be driving a Dually or Enclave, a small car should have no trouble carrying a couple.

I meant once getting to the range trying to carry them all in and out making multiple trips is annoying. I could fit a 100 or 2 in my truck if I wanted to so that's not an issue [emoji106]

I have my range bag now that can hold it all. One trip I got it all with me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.