SIG Talk banner

Ambi safety change out, 516.

3544 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  xrlizard
The ambi safety on my 516 is just not comfortable, except with gloves.
So, I would like to change it to left side only, and recommended companys?.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,467 Posts
I guess, it would depend if it's M16(AR-15) Mil-Spec, as far as manipulating the trigger assembly. Most AR ambidextrous safeties have the left side as standard GI lever, and a "bolt-on" right side lever. From the looks of the examples of 516s on Sigs web site, it is hard to tell how the right levers are attached.
A "close-up" photo of both sides may help, and from above with the upper removed...

· Registered
1,840 Posts
If it is like my P716 then there is a roll pin you have to drive out. Any mil-spec safety SHOULD work. Sig has a habit of changing things up without any mention but I don't recall hearing about any issues with mil-spec selectors.
Shopping

Reactions: Steve40th

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Just as jtallen83 stated, it appears you could get an AR-15 Safety, and install it. That would be the least expensive, the most expensive would be to remove yours, and having the "extension" that the lever is pinned to, milled off, and re-finished.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Looks like a roll pin to me. There are lower profile ambi side selector switches available but if you are like me just a standard selector will work best. I find the ambi selector rubs my hand after lots of rounds. The only advantage I see is that I can feel if I am on safe or fire while my hand is on the grip.

Reactions: Steve40th

· Registered
1,490 Posts
Yes, you're wanting just a right hand only setup, the mil-spec would be the cheapest option. If you want an ambi, BAD has low profile levers as well as the normal, so you may be able to find an option to keep ambi in case ever needed but deal with the comfort.

· 🎖USN Retired
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, you're wanting just a right hand only setup, the mil-spec would be the cheapest option. If you want an ambi, BAD has low profile levers as well as the normal, so you may be able to find an option to keep ambi in case ever needed but deal with the comfort.
Went to PSA today. Bought a standard MilSPec PSA version.. Works great..
They had some high end, but dual only styles. Not sure why people like them...
Oh well, now my knuckle wont get rubbed raw.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Good deal! You can most likely sell the Sig ambi selector for more than you paid for the new selector. Not often you can call a cheaper part an improvement on these rifles!

· 🎖USN Retired
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good deal! You can most likely sell the Sig ambi selector for more than you paid for the new selector. Not often you can call a cheaper part an improvement on these rifles!
I definitely could, but I will keep it..
ALso, its just an ergonomics thing. With gloves, wont even be an issue.

· Registered
1,490 Posts
Went to PSA today. Bought a standard MilSPec PSA version.. Works great..
They had some high end, but dual only styles. Not sure why people like them...
Oh well, now my knuckle wont get rubbed raw.
I'm a lefty, so I wanted the ambi on mine, and it came with just the standard right handed at that time (another of those features Sig has gone back and forth on). I haven't had any issues with it rubbing my knuckle, or I might feel different.

· Registered
1,559 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.