SIG Talk banner

Am I the only one having trouble accurately shooting the p365 series?

3859 88
Am I the only one having a difficult time with accuracy with the 365 series?
I have the 365, the 365X, the 365 XL, and the 365 macro, and I just shoot low no matter which one it is.
I don’t have that problem with my P320 scorpion, my P320X carry, my PPQ M2,WC Experior Compact, I just don’t get it. With all of these others on the range, I shoot the target center out with no problem. But when I put a P365 in my hands I struggle.

They are super comfortable to carry and super reliable, I have not had any problems at all. I want to love them!

Help!

Pete
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
All small pistols are hard to shoot. There is a lot of complicated stuff above. Make it simple, Get a Gas Pedal assist and it's simple, put your off hand on pedal and squeeze hard with off hand making trigger hand loose for precise trigger control. Most of those shooting problems described will disappear..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Two things:
Mine also shoots a little low, and I have learned what was posted above about the 'combat hold'. Sig CS told me I could replace the front sight with a #8 (OEM is #6 on most guns) and bring the impact up closer to a center hold.

Then, there's this:
Yes, the 365 series is one of the easiest firearms to shoot accurately versus all other hand guns of any size or configuration. They have some of the nicest most satisfying triggers of any hand gun period. I am mesmerized by how nice the triggers feel. Silky smooth, light, fluid, crisp and consistent. No grit, no stacking, no hard release requiring an over travel stop.

That is assuming you are using the trigger correctly. Pull to the wall and then use firm smooth consistent pressure like a double action revolver with the inner part of your pad or the actual first knuckle. You will be rewarded with what is the standard for all striker fired pistols.

If you try to use it like a hard wall 1911 or S&W staged single action you will leave a lot of potential unrealized. It is obvious that it was designed by engineers from the double action perspective.
I am used to shooting both S&W revolvers in single-action mode and single-action semi-autos (1911s, CZs). To try and ease through the trigger break like a single action made it difficult to shoot well until I learned about just 'pressing through' the trigger press like one would a double-action.

Between getting used to the different trigger and obscuring my aiming point with my front sight, I too had a tough time shooting mine at first. Visualizing the bullet landing behind the front sight dot, and then just rolling through the trigger press may help you get the most out of it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've always shot my 365 well from day one. Granted...I don't shoot a lot of self-defense rapid fire stuff, and I've never been trained in self-defense rapid fire. Hell....most of the indoor places I've shot would kick you out if you tried rapid fire.

But I hit what I aim at, so the gun and my grip on it work just fine. I use an original P365 from March '18 with no mods except for the 12 round optional mag.

12 rounds. 7 yards.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sprout: In DA, I shoot low with my --stock-- CZ PCR.

I might blame the somewhat gritty DA trigger.

The good news is that if We are Close Enough to need a handgun, the perp will probably be about 6-10' away and you won't miss.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sprout: In DA, I shoot low with my --stock-- CZ PCR...
That gritty DA pull should clear up after some shooting.

Funny, when I was first getting used to the P365, I had been taking at least one CZ (PCR or SP-01) with me to the range too, so I could always finish on a positive note.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've always shot my 365 well from day one. Granted...I don't shoot a lot of self-defense rapid fire stuff, and I've never been trained in self-defense rapid fire. Hell....most of the indoor places I've shot would kick you out if you tried rapid fire.

But I hit what I aim at, so the gun and my grip on it work just fine. I use an original P365 from March '18 with no mods except for the 12 round optional mag.

12 rounds. 7 yards.

That’s some very good shooting!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the 365, the 365X, the 365 XL, and the 365 macro, and I just shoot low no matter which one it is.
I don’t have that problem with my P320 scorpion, my P320X carry, my PPQ M2,WC Experior Compact, I just don’t get it. With all of these others on the range, I shoot the target center out with no problem. But when I put a P365 in my hands I struggle.

They are super comfortable to carry and super reliable, I have not had any problems at all. I want to love them!

Help!

Pete
Look at the Sticky holsters they work great for all guns

·
Registered
3 Posts

Help!

Pete
I had the same problem in 2018. I didn’t want to change my sight picture so sent my P365 slide to Sig and they installed new front and rear night sights to raise my point of impact.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Help!

Pete
Both of mine were the same. I believe they came from the factory with a #6 front sight. Replaced front sight with Trijicon HD #8 and now shoots where I want it to

·
Registered
736 Posts
I had the same problem in 2018. I didn’t want to change my sight picture so sent my P365 slide to Sig and they installed new front and rear night sights to raise my point of impact.
I decided to change my 365 & XL sights as well to maintain the center hold sight picture of all my other pistols -I didn't want to confuse my brain (especially as the 365s/XLs are my primary self defense pistols). I've got decades of training with center hold (and prefer it as I see more of the POI). So, I've installed night fision sights on all mine (#8 frt and #8 rear). I looked at trijicons and others, but like the NF better (pretty big yellow frt dot i can pick up day or night (tritium). Works perfect for me. I like them so much, I put them on my CZs too.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Help!

Pete
I was having the same issue, and discovered with the smaller grip and flat trigger, I wasn’t following through the shot after the trigger break. Once I worked that out, the problem went away.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Help!

Pete
Try a Hogue hand all grip sleeve

·
Registered
6 Posts

Help!

Pete
I had the same problem. Big hands, small pistol, hard pull. Replaced the springs ck and stricken spring. It dropped a little over a pound off the pull. Much better now. I’ll be replacing the trigger soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aside from the trigger breaking in the vertical position with the flat trigger, I find that my trigger finger rubs less on the trigger guard since I switched triggers. After a few hundred rounds, that rubbing can cause hot spots on the outside of the tip of my trigger finger.
View attachment 490208
I have the WCP320 Full Size and P365X Macro, both with flat triggers. After a trip to the range I have a small area on the inside of the trigger finger that’s rubbed raw from the bottom of the trigger/trigger guard. Last trip I started trying to concentrate putting my finger on the upper part of the trigger but by then the spot was already there. Next trip I’m going to focus on keeping it higher up from the beginning.

·
🎖USA Retired
284 Posts
Use combat hold and you won’t shoot low. That’s how these are sighted
View attachment 490073
Years ago, I was about to send my P220 back to change the front sight, when I stumbled across this info as well. A Sig idiosyncracy - the idea being it's not a target pistol so don't use a bull's eye sight picture, use a combat sight picture.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pete,
SIG tests each individual pistol before it leaves the factory. When tested, they must place 5 shots within 3 inches at 25 yards.
WOW....seriously.

I recently added the Hogue beavertail grip sleeve and have only been to the range once to try it out. I find I am quite accurate within the 5-10 yd. range. But when I move out to 20 yds, all bets are off. I make some hits and some misses on a standard IPSC target. Certainly difficult to pull off any serious "groupings" at that distance, but I keep practicing. I use both FMJ and recently, started adding Gold Dot 124gr +P as that is what I have started carrying with.

I think the bottom line is a LOT of practice..live fire AND dry fire. I use MantisX for dry fire and it definitely helps a lot. Small gun + small sight radius = unforgiving tolerances. The slightest differences in grip, hold, aim, trigger press are magnified the farther you go out. It makes sense....it's physics.

This is probably why I spend most of my time practicing with the P365 vs. my P226 Legion. I am easily more accurate with the latter...at all distances. When I asked some SIG reps about this at my LGR, they told me it's something you have you have to accept. You will always be more accurate with a larger pistol than a compact. They said it's the same for them and encouraged lots of practice.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts