SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK don't answer that out of context... ;)

Is it foolish to AIWB carry a P365XL w/o a manual safety with a round chambered? (not concerned about an AD, always training to avoid an ND)

Maybe it is all in my head but, I have not been rollin' with a round chambered.
I have been training on racking during the un-holstering/presenting process. This is a tad different for me as I carry my other pistols OWB with or without a safety with one in the chamber. (most have safeties)

Should I keep going down this road or...

Get a safety and keep one in the chamber and train with the safety?

Asking not only from a best practice/safety standpoint, but also going to get one of the Grayguns Laser Stippled frames. (when they are back in stock) Those come w/o one or with a conversion kit. I am hesitant, as the safety paddle looks like a pain to operate, but I reckon I would get used to it as we tend to do with repetition. I would love to hear from those of you with the manual safety version and your experience with it. ...and those w/o and how you carry.

Many thanks for your input!

·
Registered
56,192 Posts
i'm not familiar with its trigger but seems similar to the g3 g30 i carry with round chambered.

you might be surprised/dead if you don't have time to rack the slide, if you are in **** situation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, striker fired pistols are designed to be carried with a round chambered. There are 0 benefits carrying any other way.
Understood, this is my first striker fired pistol, learning the ropes. Still strange not having a hammer to thumb on re-holster, but I am really enjoying the form factor and accuracy of this snappy little thing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I went thru the same consideration. I wanted to carry with a round in the chamber but wasnt comfortable with aiwb.

So I carry it at 3:30-4 position. With a manual safety.

My thinking is nothing is 100%. Bad things can happen no matter how much training (or lack of) we have. They could come from brain farts, weapon malfunction, holster wear, etc. Pick a method that you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went through this debate back when I had a p365 with no safety. That might give away my stance.

I ended up going back to a DA/SA hammer. I wasn't overly uncomfortable carrying with a round in the chamber and no manual safety, but I was MUCH more deliberate with my reholstering. Not that you shouldn't always be careful when reholstering, but especially so with a safety-less pistol. Plenty of people carry M&Ps AIWB with no safety, too. For me, though, once I get around to picking up another subcompact, I'm going to go Glock. The Striker Control Device is a genius little piece of hardware that makes me feel much more comfortable, especially in conjunction with the trigger safety.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
That said, manual safety or no?

Everyone is different, but if adding a manual safety to my striker gun makes me comfortable with carrying it with one in the pipe, I probably need to add the manual safety. Then again, If I am comfortable with a manual safety and I am also seemingly more comfortable with a hammer-fired gun, I need to rethink my urge to carry a striker-fired gun.

That said, I'm not familiar with how the P365 manual safety would function. I've never seen one in person, nor have I fondled one, but if it's anything like a 1911 manual safety, I would rather manipulate the manual safety when presenting the pistol, then cycling the slide and worrying if, perhaps, it may not go fully into battery. If, on the other hand, the P365 manual safety functions like the one on my IMI Baby Eagle, there is no way in hell that I am ever going to engage that safety for any reason.

On top of that, there is the time issue. With proper training, manipulating a 1911-style manual safety would take no additional time during the presentation, while racking the slide most certainly would.

When seconds count, it is said, the cops are minutes away. Likewise, when fractions of a second count, I don't want to add penalty time to my presentation. I am always at a disadvantage, because the bad guy isn't going to send me an e-mail ahead of time, to tell me what to expect. We just had a somewhat spirited discussion about the Tueller drill a week, or so ago and it is stunning just how quickly a determined attacker can close the distance. From 21 feet away, a man with a knife will kill, or maim you more times than not.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
No safety and I carry mine AIWB.
I use a quality holster and am never in a hurry to holster.
It does feel odd not having a hammer to ride and I still look for it at times.

·
Registered
608 Posts
This question comes up a lot. I suspect if a survey were taken it would probably be about 50-50 re: safety on P365.

I have a safety and carry AIWB. Feels good for me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
No matter how much I tried to like the P365, it's just too small for me and clumsy to get a grip on. I'm back to carrying my hammer fired Springfield XD-e. Is it bigger, heavier and hold less rounds... yes, but I love this gun. You can always convert your P365 to a manual safety version if that makes you feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ultimately you have to decide your own level of comfort. Many carry AIWB without a manual safety. But if it makes you even slightly nervous that technique does not work for you.
Give it a try and see. You already know the pro/cons and steps to take.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Keep your finger out of the trigger guard and you'll be GTG with a round in the chamber.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
small of back carry no, appendix carry no. Only on the hip and with a DA/SA chambered and ready

Reactions: sigken

·
Registered
42 Posts
Being newer to IWB carrying and trying to find the best spot on my waist to carry, I decided to purchase the manual safety conversion kit for my 365xl. Install took all of 5min and I can switch back to non safety at any time. Still waiting on my new AIWB holster to arrive though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
P365, AIWB, hot chamber, no safety, every day.

Using a well engineered holster with good, positive retention and full kydex covering both sides of the trigger guard is a must.

I will admit that I was a little spooked by the striker trigger when I first got the P365. Coming from a DAO carry gun, the trigger is so much lighter.

However, I have done countless simulated re-holstering drills with a racked, completely empty gun... sometimes even simulating a rushed, clumsy technique, just to see what the probability of activating the trigger would be. I have never tripped the trigger without deliberately making it happen.

My mindset is that the weapon is not coming out of the holster unless my life depends on it, and the tool is going to be ready to go to work immediately.

It is a risk I have accepted and am willing to continue my training efforts to mitigate the dangers. It's a personal decision, you have to decide what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
wrearp NO Aiwb carry for our family .

My little 5'-2 wife carried a kimber ultra 9mm for the last couple years but also has a p365xl she getting use to with a new holster but always carried at 3:00 along with a couple other pistols for 21 years and I have 33 years of CC in a iwb rig at 3:00 17 of those in a MTAC .

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bruce Siddle (PPCT) spent much time on the impact of stress induced heart rate on fine motor skills. As the heart rate exceeds 125 bpm, the loss of fine motor skills is imminent. At 140 bpm - ONLY gross motor skills function - meaning Large muscle groups. Tunnel vision is in place and auditory exclusion has taken over.

Massad Ayoob (and Col Jeff Cooper) were strict proponents of the Awareness Color Code - White, Yellow, Orange, Red, - Black. In condition Yellow - there should not be a "surprise" encounter.

Slide/frame safeties are easy to accommodate into the grip/draw. A good idea for you - to me.

Having carried an SAO Browning Hi-Power, the hammer safety was never an issue during presentation. Adding one to the P365 seems a "no brainer".

Reactions: SJPotter31
1 - 20 of 79 Posts