SIG Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried googling around, but couldn't find a clear answer, so I apologize if this has been addressed before.

I've got a lead on a new/old stock set of factory Dark Elite grips, as seen in the pictures shamelessly plagiarized (borrowed?) from 12131 in a different thread. I think they look awesome, have heard they feel great, and have always wanted to give them a try.

However, I have one hesitation: will having aluminum grips on an aluminum frame cause wear/scratches/damage to the frame's anodizing? I get that there should be virtually no movement, but I have had grip screws come loose under recoil, and there can be a little play in the grips. I also get that it's a tool, that wear is a part of life, and that it would be where I can't see it, etc., etc., but I don't want to cause unnecessary, avoidable wear.

If anyone with aluminum grips can chime in, particularly on guns that are frequently carried/have high round counts, it would be appreciated!

Sample pics of grips with credit to (and jealously towards) 12131:

Here are your two-headed unicorns, J.:cool:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use aluminum grips on several of my Sigs, as well as other alloy framed handguns and never had an issue. I have not noticed and wear, marks or dings that the aluminum grips caused.
If you like them, get them and son't worry about it! Even if you did have some wear on the frame from the grips, that frame will outlast your great grandchildren.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
If the aluminum grips won't cause any problem with an aluminum frame as long as they aren't moving around. Keep the grip screws tight enough, but not too tight, and you'll be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.