SIG Talk banner

Aluminum cased ammo in P320/250?

11760 Views 26 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Boredmuse
Does anyone have any experience using aluminum cased ammo in a p320 or p250? I'm not looking to reload, rather just at the range for practice. I understand it is less expensive, but interested to hear how well it works vs. brass casings. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
I just ran a 100 round box of the federal champion aluminum cased stuff from Walmart through last week and didn't have a single problem. They were around 5 or 6 bucks less per 100 round Winchester white box and with no problems I'm going to keep using them

· Registered
282 Posts
I shot 200 of the federal fmj in 9mm a couple months ago, it ran just fine. And for the cost is would definitely buy/shoot it again.

· Registered
860 Posts
Aluminum is softer than brass. As such, it expands to seal a chamber easier than brass and causes even less wear on the chamber than brass. Aluminum is enough softer and more flexible that it is not good for reloading and it may be more prone to bullet set-back than brass.

Steel is harder than brass. As such, it does not expand to seal a chamber as easily as brass and causes more wear on the chamber than brass. Steel is enough harder and less flexible that it is not good for reloading.

I have no hesitation about aluminum-cased ammo for range use, but I avoid it for uses in which repeated chambering could result in bullet set-back. I do not use steel-cased ammo because I have not found enough cost savings to justify what I perceive as additional wear to a gun.

· Registered
1,798 Posts
I have use aluminum in both 320 compact and sub compact no problems. Just have preference for brass. Will not use steel unless it gets to a point I don't have a choice. If you look at box of steel some if not all will advise it is laquer covered(to help prevent rust). I feel that this could get soft and gum up the gun.

· Premium Member
10,528 Posts
In some guns they can have a few problems, but in my P320C, I've shot Blazer and Federal Champion aluminum case, and Tula steel case with on hiccups at all. But I still mostly buy brass unless the other stuff is stupidly cheap.

Reactions: Lane73

· Registered
147 Posts
I've used a lot of 9mm Aluminum.
I've never tried Steel except in AK's.
Ak tolerances are not as tight as most Firearm Hand Guns.
There for the Lacquer can build up with no issues. Some are not coated with Lacquer?
I don't know if the Russian Steel are coated with anything?
In Vietnam the Chinese 7.62x39 were Steel with Copper wash.

· Registered
8 Posts
I just ran a 100 round box of the federal champion aluminum cased stuff from Walmart through last week and didn't have a single problem. They were around 5 or 6 bucks less per 100 round Winchester white box and with no problems I'm going to keep using them
Same here, my first 200 rounds were mostly Walmart aluminum federal. No problems at all.

· Registered
115 Posts
I ran a few early boxes of aluminum through mine with no hiccups. My range won't allow steel case, so all I've been using since is brass. No problems with any.

· Registered
9 Posts
I've ran 65 rnds of federal aluminum 40 Cal. It ran good through my p250. I had one stove pipe. I believe that was from limp wristing. And the gun being new. I've had no problems after that. They are fairly accurate and good for punching paper.

· Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Since this is just going to be for range use, I ordered some - found a good sale that worked out to 18.5 cents per round (delivered) for some CCI Blazer. I've never seen 9MM that low for a major brand, so it was worth it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.