SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the 357 version of my P320 I have seen no reason to use the Carry grip frame over the Compact grip frame with only 1 round difference between them.

However, as I am thinking about switching back to 9mm for my primary carry round I am having a bit more of a challenge between the Carry vs Compact grip frame.

Wanted your thoughts on the matter. The delta between them is;

Compact vs Carry - delta
15 rounds vs 17 rounds - 2 rounds
5.3mm vs 5.5mm height - .2mm
25.8oz vs 26.5oz - .7oz

All things being equal, which grip frame would you use and why?

I was surprised that two of my buddies immediately said Compact due to the added weight. All of us are big enough guys that the size would not be a factor in concealability.

Thoughts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I carry the compact version with 17 round magazines with the magazine adapters.
That makes it the same size as a carry. The only reason I can think why you would do that is in case the frame sizes are different, i.e., use a subcompact small frame with a 15rd. magazine when all of my compacts frames are medium. Sometimes I carry like that.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I have been a compact advocate since this gun came out; however, once I saw the M18 I began to think about it differently. If I were to get into the P320 vein, I would get a carry model, and then invest in the larger capacity extended mags like is seen with the M17. That way I believe you're able to carry 18 rounds with 20 back ups. The length of the carry grip isn't that much longer than the compact, and the extra round count seem to be a no brainer in the 9mm version. I agree that if you're carrying a .357, not that big a deal, but two extra rounds in a platform that is essentially the same size...tips the scale for me. I do understand that the carry frame is slightly larger than the compact in terms of width, etc., but not that much of a difference for me. Then, when you consider perhaps adding a full size kit, I think the carry frame looks much better than the FS grip frame, and you're still able to keep the 17 round mags. That's a pretty solid system, IMO. In fact, I am considering exactly that, very seriously.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been a compact advocate since this gun came out; however, once I saw the M18 I began to think about it differently. If I were to get into the P320 vein, I would get a carry model, and then invest in the larger capacity extended mags like is seen with the M17. That way I believe you're able to carry 18 rounds with 20 back ups. The length of the carry grip isn't that much longer than the compact, and the extra round count seem to be a no brainer in the 9mm version. I agree that if you're carrying a .357, not that big a deal, but two extra rounds in a platform that is essentially the same size...tips the scale for me. I do understand that the carry frame is slightly larger than the compact in terms of width, etc., but not that much of a difference for me. Then, when you consider perhaps adding a full size kit, I think the carry frame looks much better than the FS grip frame, and you're still able to keep the 17 round mags. That's a pretty solid system, IMO. In fact, I am considering exactly that, very seriously.
You pretty much pegged my thinking here. I already have the Carry grip frame so it is a swap in and I can rock 18 rounds of 9mm for roughly .5oz extra weight and .2mm extra length. Seems like a no brainer.

Especially when you consider that the Carry version in 9mm is still 3.5oz lighter than my P225 single stack! Granted the P225 is thinner, but I don't really notice the weight of the P225. I think I am switching to the Carry 9mm and rocking the 17 round mags!

The adapatability of this platform

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Registered
242 Posts
I did the opposite and went from a compact frame down to a subcompact. I like how much shorter the grip is for concealability, and I have a 15rnd mag with grip extension for a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I moved my two from Compact to Carry.
I enjoy the larger grip, 17 and 21 mags fit nicely.
Yea, for me an absolute minimum is the Compact frame due to my big mitts. The Carry is just gravy on top of that from a grip standpoint.

I really wish Sig would offer the Carry frame in large though. Not that the medium frame is THAT much thinner, and I am now getting more comfortable with the much thinner 225. But boy, does that large frame fit my hand well!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Use the compact frame but carry full size mags as back up . Since the short compact grip is enough there no reason the carry a longer grip and those little gap fillers from XGrip are not needed anyhow except for some with a SC . Heck you can probably carry the 21 round extended as carry back up with little effort !

For me with my size and shape the full size grip is harder to conceal . I need to use my cant on my holster to conceal the butt end of the grip and I hate doing that so its a compact frame/grip on my pistol and full size mags as backup .

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I look at this sort of discussion and want to seriously laugh.
Folks, the AVERAGE number of shots fired in a conflict is 3 rounds.
The Normal number of persons involved is 2. If you are confronted by a gang(3or more)
and if they are in condition 2 (Weapons out in hand, not in holster) the number of rounds you have is irrelevant.

The average gunfight from draw to end is 25 seconds or less. Usually Much Less.

Remember the Wisconsin shooting where the Cop was found Not Guilty because he fired the second shot. The camera captured the entire incident and the time between shots 1 and 2 was 1.67 seconds. And the prosecutor wanted to prosecute the officer for the second shot.

All of this discussion about "Smallest gun but largest magazine" is going to lead us to thinking we need a 2 inch barrel and a Belt feed to a 200 round box.

Get out of the X-Box games and into the real world.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I won't elaborate more than saying having been in a few gunfights I've never found myself at the end of one wishing I had less ammunition to fight back. You can spout averages all you want then flush them down the toilet cause when the time comes there ain't one of those averages that will save your bacon.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
USMC6872 - I think you might be discounting some of the views here based on statistics, or maybe age based on the X-box comment. I hope I am never in the situation where I have to fire even a round, but I sure as **** don't want to be in a position where I run dry and end up with a hammer and not a gun.

BoBo - I agree completely. Rather be the one with a mag or two almost full than anything empty.

BigBlock - I went the other direction and got large grips due to my abnormally large hands. However, after switching back over to the Medium Carry grip this week I realized something that I really like. The Medium grip frame is very close to the grip size (Diameter) of my P225. That and the lighter weight of the P320 makes them feel very similar when picked up blind. This works great for me as those are my two EDC guns. Just have to train on switching between the striker and DA/SA without hesitation.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I used a P250 9mm Compact as my EDC for several years. My primary EDC is now my P320 9mm Carry, and I wish I would have converted sooner. Granted a Compact grip module with 15 rounds mags, and 17 and 21 round mags with x grip adapters is a more versatile setup than a Carry grip module with only 17 and 21 round options. However, if you are like me and really dislike using the x grip adapters, a convincing case can be made in favor of the Carry configuration.

Versatility aside, the Carry configuration handles better than the Compact IMO. The Compact grip length is a great size, but once you handle and shoot the Carry for an extended period of time, you really start to appreciate the extra grip length. At this point, I think I am better with my Carry than I am with my Full Size.

As for concealability, I really don't notice the difference in terms of weight or grip length. It feel relatively the same.

As a side note, I do still carry my P250 40SW Compact on occasion. I could convert it to a Carry model, but I (like you) just don't see the point. Plus, its nice to be able to just pick up one size over the other on a whim.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
RAT BIKE, Big Block, and BoBo.

I am not discounting anything. I carried a Revolver as a LEO for 3 years and hidden on my person in the Marines for 3 1/2. I carried one until the 1990s in a different profession (No, I am not going to tell you) . Revolver usage trains you to make every shot count. I was in more then one "Close encounter" in Vietnam, and 6 incidents having to draw a weapon on the Street in Good Old Prince Georges County Maryland. In 3 of them it turned into a for real shooting. In all of them (including one involving a Speedball individual swinging a machete) bullet placement was critical. Discharge Discipline is the KEY.

My belief is as follows: Unless you are The Marines in Mosul, or the 10 Infantry in Iraq, you don't need it. Remember, the reason for the amount of weapon load in Iraq is dealing with the Terrorists. Who happen to carry large amounts of ammunition and spray and pray. Unless and until we have Mad Max, or Grand Theft Auto, or any of the other "Games" in real life on the street, keep the load realistic. Keep the Tupperware Commandos on the TV.

Reactions: winterwar

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I am not discounting anything. I carried a Revolver as a LEO for 3 years and hidden on my person in the Marines for 3 1/2. I carried one until the 1990s in a different profession (No, I am not going to tell you) . Revolver usage trains you to make every shot count. I was in more then one "Close encounter" in Vietnam, and 6 incidents having to draw a weapon on the Street in Good Old Prince Georges County Maryland. In 3 of them it turned into a for real shooting. In all of them (including one involving a Speedball individual swinging a machete) bullet placement was critical. Discharge Discipline is the KEY.

My belief is as follows: Unless you are The Marines in Mosul, or the 10 Infantry in Iraq, you don't need it. Remember, the reason for the amount of weapon load in Iraq is dealing with the Terrorists. Who happen to carry large amounts of ammunition and spray and pray. Unless and until we have Mad Max, or Grand Theft Auto, or any of the other "Games" in real life on the street, keep the load realistic. Keep the Tupperware Commandos on the TV.
First and foremost, thanks for all of your varied forms of service.

I do not speak from any form of service like you have experienced; thus, my comments hold little weight in the real world.

I have a different kind of experience that has shown me quite directly that in our current day and age the likely hood of two things is at play in what we choose to carry. And, I believe, a big reason why we no longer carry those tried and true revolvers you mentioned. Any of them could more than do the job to be sure.

The likely hood today is that we are facing a BG populace who are going to empty a full 15 round mag in their attempt to inflict harm. This in the case of simple run of the mill BG's on the street today who, like you said, have most of their experience online dumping mag after mag.

In these situations we must try to stay calm and focus, as much as possible, on shot placement which (God willing) will be better than theirs.

Secondarily, I think there is sufficient concern in our current world climate to be respectful of the fact that there are terrorist factions at work around us. These guys are typically arming themselves pretty heavily. Unfortunately, in many of these cases we are bringing a pistol to an assault weapon fight. This is another situation where our only defense will be shot placement and enough to hold out until help arrives if that is possible.

Yes, is the majority of the stuff that happens over in a few shots, sure. People, even BG's, don't like being shot back at. And most are cowards who will fleet at the first sign of any form of resistance. Terrorist, on the other hand, are not going to typically flee. They plan to die for their cause.

Now, do I think that many of us will be faced with a terrorist attack that we will have to respond to. God I hope not! But I am not going to discount it on the off chance that it might happen. Last thing I want to be doing is sitting on my hands with my wife when it hits the fan in a theater somewhere (we go to a lot of movies).

I think the BG and terrorist elements and threat are greater than they have been in the past. It is the sad state of the world we live in today.

Thus, through all of this discussion and after a bit of range time yesterday with my P320 in 9mm config and P225, I am more comfortable than ever with the concept of a few things;

- I am good with the 9mm platform.
- I am happy to run the 17 round P320 Carry config or carry the P225 with an extra mag (also giving me 17 rounds at hand).

Please understand that I mean no disrespect. I come here to hear everyone's opinions, especially those that are not necessarily in line with my own. That is how we learn.

I do not want to discount your opinion as you make many valid points.

Thanks for your input and opinion.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts

The biggest problem with statistics is that they lie. The second biggest problem is they mean nothing when you are the exception and not the rule. As we say in LE, there are two kinds of gunfights...the ones that are over in 3 seconds, with 3 bullets, and the ones that are over in 3 hours, with 3 hundred bullets. Even in civilian LE, I have seen gunfights that took an extraordinary amount of ammo. Most do not, which is great, until you're in the one that does.

My main point is that statistically speaking, as a private citizen/ off duty cop, we will never need a firearm. So why carry one? Oh wait...I remember...because we don't want to be the wrong kind of statistic. ;) I'm a fan of capacity in firearms. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. It's admirable to be so confident in your skill that you feel comfortable with fewer rounds. It's also dangerous to be overconfident. Lastly, at least half the population of the US thinks we're all paranoid because we choose to carry a firearm wherever we go. Why be like them? Looking down on people because they carry more rounds than you think is necessary is no different than an anti-gunner looking down on you because you choose to carry.

As I've said in other threads, I appreciate your service and value your opinion because of it. But I have to respectfully disagree with you on this topic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.