SIG Talk banner

Aiming with the P320C RX

4237 23
I'll keep this short, sweet and to the point. What's the proper way to aim my P320C RX?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,106 Posts
You have a dual sighting system, red dot and backup iron sights. Use one or the other, not both at the same time.

When using the red dot, ignore the iron sights. Just focus on the target and place the dot where you want the bullet to go. The dot can be in the center of the scope, but doesn't have to be. That's the beauty, lining up a single point instead of three separate planes. Always use both eyes open.

When using the iron sights, use them like you always did. Don't worry about where the dot is.

Untill you are fully up to speed, don't really worry about co-witness. The important thing is if your red dot fails, you still have the iron sights for backup.

It's a little like driving a car, use either the gas or brake, not both. Expert racing drivers know how to use both (toe and heel) to get through corners at the fastest possible speed, but don't try unless you know how.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You have a dual sighting system, red dot and backup iron sights. Use one or the other, not both at the same time.

When using the red dot, ignore the iron sights. Just place the dot where you want the bullet to go. The dot can be in the center of the scope, but doesn't have to be. That's the beauty, lining up a single point instead of three separate planes. Always use both eyes open.

When using the iron sights, use them like you always did. Don't worry about where the dot is.

Untill you are fully up to speed, don't really worry about co-witness. The important thing is if your red dot fails, you still have the iron sights for backup.

It's a little like driving a car, use either the gas or brake, not both. Expert racing drivers know how to use both (toe and heel) to get through corners at the fastest possible speed, but don't try unless you know how.
That's an awesome explanation jnichols2. I'm really shocked that Sig hasn't published any tutorials or instruction about this.

I was trying to use it as a front sight. But I've noticed that the red dot "moves" based on the angle in which I'm looking at it. So I'm guessing there's also a proper way to look at this too right?

· Registered
372 Posts

When using the red dot, ignore the iron sights. Just focus on the target and place the dot where you want the bullet to go. The dot can be in the center of the scope, but doesn't have to be. That's the beauty, lining up a single point instead of three separate planes. Always use both eyes open.

Excellent explanation.
Only thing I'd add is to use 1/3 co-witness, less confusion.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
That's an awesome explanation jnichols2. I'm really shocked that Sig hasn't published any tutorials or instruction about this.

I was trying to use it as a front sight. But I've noticed that the red dot "moves" based on the angle in which I'm looking at it. So I'm guessing there's also a proper way to look at this too right?

Therein lies the beauty. You can hit with the dot in the middle, upper left corner, lower right corner, etc. As long as the dot is on the target when you press the trigger, you will hit it. :D

Reactions: ThumbsForward

· Registered
1,106 Posts
Excellent explanation.
Only thing I'd add is to use 1/3 co-witness, less confusion.
That's easier with a rifle (spaver plates) than a pistol.

Sometimes, with a pistol, it comes down to selecting the scope you already know will 1/3 co-witness with the iron sights you are using.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
Hello a brutha out oswiz.... What's that mean?[emoji12]

That's when you set the system up so the iron sights are out of the way toward the bottom 1/3 of the scope. That gives you a better view of the target.

"Absolute co-witness" is when when both the dot and the iron sights coincide in the center. Folks think it's cool, but it does block your view of the target.

It also focuses your attention on the iron front sight instead of the dot. Then, why did you buy the scope in the first place? It's supposed to be your PRIMARY.

I know it's complicated. That's why I said to just concentrate on the red dot untill you pick up the rest.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's when you set the system up so the iron sights are out of the way toward the bottom 1/3 of the scope. That gives you a better view of the target.

"Absolute co-witness" is when when both the dot and the iron sights coincide in the center. Folks think it's cool, but it does block your view of the target.

It also focuses your attention on the iron front sight instead of the dot. Then, why did you buy the scope in the first place? It's supposed to be your PRIMARY.

I know it's complicated. That's why I said to just concentrate on the red dot untill you pick up the rest.
Awesome. Gracias!

· Registered
372 Posts

Again, well said!
I think we went thru the same training, just different schools ;) Mine was a brother-in-law LEO and ex-Marine, the other a retired SWAT (not called SWAT back then) officer.

· Registered
250 Posts
I use a 1/3 co-witness with my 320rx. The dot is in the center of the glass and the iron sights are so low in the glass I don't see them. All I have to do to see the irons is bring the muzzle up slightly and there they are.

I see people using the red dot with the dot on the front sight post. Why would you do this? It is a cluttered sight picture for one and if your going to line up the dot and the front sight post then you don't need the dot.

At the range two weeks ago their was an older gentleman in the lane to my left. I was shooting my 320rx and I noticed he had a 226rx elite. I got to talking to him and he said he was frustrated with the red dot and the fact he just spent $1300 on the gun and couldn't hit anything with the red dot so he turned it off and was using the iron sights. I told him I had the adjustment tool in my range bag and would be happy to adjust his red dot. I set it up for the 1/3 co-witness just like mine and gave it back to him. He ran several 5 shot groups and was hitting dead on with the red dot. He was very happy with the gun and sight.

· Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I noticed I had to adjust my dot as well with my P320c RX. Unfortunately, the first day I took it to the range, I had left the sight adjustment tool back at home...ugh. My shots were way low to the left trying to use the dot. I brought the tool to the range the next day, made adjustments, and was much happier with the results!

I am hoping to have more time this weekend to do some fine tuning...

· Registered
91 Posts
I guess they figure that everybody knows how to run a RDS since we've been doing it for years via Call of Duty, etc. :p

· Registered
17 Posts
I see people using the red dot with the dot on the front sight post. Why would you do this? It is a cluttered sight picture for one and if your going to line up the dot and the front sight post then you don't need the dot.
I agree with you. I prefer no clutter view. I think people set up the front sight co-witness so they can be confident that both their dot and sights are aligned to the same point. Maybe they don't trust the dot can actually be on target when their sights aren't lined up the same way.

· Premium Member
476 Posts

I purchased the P320 RX Full a bit ago. When I went to the range, the iron sights were lined up perfectly (as to be expected). When I went to sight in the red dot (and mind you this is my first red dot, so I'm going by internet and tribal knowledge here), it aligned with the iron sights. So I ended up with full co-witness, not intentionally mind you, but that's where I'm at.

But I've read posts like this to ignore my iron sights (I can't, the red dot almost acts like a front post at this point).

How would I sight in the red dot so it's not co-witnessed (if I was interested in doing that)?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.