SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new P320 RX fullsize about two weeks ago. I've put 1000 rounds through it already. It's a nice gun, but I am not too crazy about the trigger. It averages about 7lbs even after 1000 rds. Now I know the weight is only part of the equation, but I do not care for the break of the trigger, it just feels cheap and "plasticy".

Anyway, I am using this gun for shooting steel where speed and accuracy is important. I intend on improving the trigger with a GG Pelt or an Apex 2.0. I've read that the trigger reset or lack thereof is sometimes an issue with the GG trigger. The reset is very important to me. Is the issue enough where I should not even consider the GG trigger and just go with the Apex 2.0?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
My only comment is that I have never been disappointed in any of the products I have gotten from Gray Guns. I have not, if memory serves, seen any other negative comments on their triggers other than possibly the price.

Apex on the other hand I have seen numerous complaints around. Now, that may not have been about the 2.0 version I have no experience with the newer Apex triggers.

I have GG's everything except my P228. Just great products.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The GG trigger shoe combined but the factory spring yields an almost stock like reset (very slightly less pronounced). The GG trigger shoe combined with the GG spring yields a very week reset feel and sound in my experience - I didn't like it and ran mine with the stock spring.

·
Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
438 Posts
I just installed Apex 2.0 on my 45 full size and 9 MM (357 sig conversion kit). Took the 45 to the range yesterday and loved the new trigger - shot some of the best groups I've ever shot from this gun. I was able to feel the reset with the Apex 2.0. I wasn't concentrating on that, however, so I probably can't give you an accurate sense of how noticeable the reset is. The best way I can describe it is I didn't notice the reset being any different than the original. What was noticeable was the feel of the flat trigger (which I really like) and that it was lighter than the original (came with the Adverse trigger).

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
romm Your a heck of a shooter to be able to feel and use the reset when shooting fast .

For short range steel and cardboard targets I tend to do most of a full release , well beyond reset , maybe called slapping at the trigger by some but as yardage increases target gets smaller and split times slow a bit and I find I can teach myself to go a little beyond the reset and take up the slack in the trigger . Well on some handguns . But the feel the reset is so much lighter I'm having to adjust to it . I can't stop at that perfect reset point for any defensive type drill . I went from a 6lb 6oz trigger pull with a 5lb take up weight to a low 4lb total pull weight GG kit pull weight so its like a new handgun to get use too !! I also went with the curved trigger .

·
Registered
251 Posts
Their are some GG fans on here that will try to persuade you in that direction just because they really like his product or maybe they know him personally so they are helping Bruce with selling his product. Let me give you my advice after shooting the Apex 2.0 side by side with a GG trigger.

I have a P320 with the Apex 2.0 and had the chance to shoot it side by side with a P320 with a GG trigger. The owner of the other gun did not know me and I did not tell him I had an Apex trigger. We swapped guns and his had a reset that was very weak. He said he liked mine and wanted to know how he can get his reset more pronounced. I told him to put the factory sear springs back in. He asked if that's what I did and I told him I had an Apex 2.0 not a GG pelt trigger. He said ya I should have went with the Apex and got the better reset and saved $50 to boot. I agree, the GG is nice but its double the cost of the Apex 2.0 and when you put the factory sear springs back in you basically have the same as an Apex 2.0

If your willing to sacrifice the reset for a lighter trigger get the GG kit.

If you want the best possible trigger send your gun to Bruce Gray or Robert Burke for a complete trigger job but be prepared to pay about $400.00 for that work.

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
I intend on improving the trigger with a GG Pelt or an Apex 2.0. I've read that the trigger reset or lack thereof is sometimes an issue with the GG trigger. The reset is very important to me. Is the issue enough where I should not even consider the GG trigger and just go with the Apex 2.0?
I have four guns that Bruce Gray has worked over for me. All had triggers done. I can't speak to the PELT because that's not what I have.

What I can speak to is the quality of work they have done for me over a lot of years.

If the result of the PELT is anything like what I have - I would say that's a smart choice.

I have zero knowledge of the Apex system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I've read nearly every thread about the P320 Apex and Pelt triggers and some of you responded in those as well. Those threads are where I found out about the trigger reset issue with the Pelt (not really an issue for most). This forum is great for info about that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
romm Your a heck of a shooter to be able to feel and use the reset when shooting fast .

For short range steel and cardboard targets I tend to do most of a full release , well beyond reset , maybe called slapping at the trigger by some but as yardage increases target gets smaller and split times slow a bit and I find I can teach myself to go a little beyond the reset and take up the slack in the trigger . Well on some handguns . But the feel the reset is so much lighter I'm having to adjust to it . I can't stop at that perfect reset point for any defensive type drill . I went from a 6lb 6oz trigger pull with a 5lb take up weight to a low 4lb total pull weight GG kit pull weight so its like a new handgun to get use too !! I also went with the curved trigger .
I am an OK shooter, but I wouldn't say "fast" lol. I am into shooting falling plates for speed. I definitely try to be as efficient with the trigger as possible. My 1911 trigger resets are nearly non existent, so its not an issue. My CZ Shadow Target reset is tactile, but the single action trigger pull on that gun is so sweet, the reset is not that critical. However, I find that striker fired guns' trigger pulls are better/quicker when you pull them from just after reset.

Here is an excerpt from the firearm blog. Remember these are only opinions:

According to Chappy:

"Trigger Reset is a term used to describe letting the trigger forward only far enough to reset the sear after the previous shot is fired."

Chappy goes on to briefly explain that trigger reset was a codified technique back in the 1920s for high power rifle shooters. It gave them an advantage during rapid fire stages.

Trigger reset has since then moved on to almost all types of shooting. It is very crucial in handguns. Chappy identifies three benefits of resetting the trigger.

1. Eliminates unnecessary motion. All motion equals time, and time is not on your side in a gunfight.

2. Minimizes movement of the sights thereby reducing time wasted realigning sights.

3. Helps reduce jerking of the trigger, which reduces the likelihood of missing.

htthttp://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/26/the-importance-of-trigger-reset/p://

I would also like to point out, in terms of trigger reset, that manufacturers are catering to buyers who appreciate and use a trigger's reset. Take for example Sig's own SRT (Short Reset Trigger) option for certain models.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went with the Apex. Dropped the trigger pull weight a little over 1 pound. No change in the reset feel, which is good. Honestly, other than the pull weight coming down, the trigger does not feel much different. In comparison to my factory stock Glock 22, much better. But the factory trigger on my Steyr L9-A1 is much better. I was hoping to get closer to that trigger, as it is an excellent striker fired trigger. No creep, 5 lb pull, does not have that vibration on break like the my Glock and P320 have, and the reset is short and tactile. I just cannot shoot the gun well, nor the Glock. I get too used to the grip angles on my other handguns.

The flat trigger seems nice. I have not shot the gun yet with the new Apex trigger, but hope to later this week. I am sure the trigger will improve. The $44 upgrade was worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree GG will give you the 'best' trigger job, note that I said trigger job, not just the trigger. My RX came back from GG with the full house competition trigger job. It is fantastic! Good and short reset, 2.97# average of 10 pulls on a Lyman digital gauge. The FCG looked like a mirror, several internal parts were returned with the pistol. First USPSA match with this pistol in the OPEN class put me in the top 10, would have been first in Carry Optics. Hats off to Bruce; and yes I know him. We both worked at Sigarms at the same time. First class trainer and master gunsmith.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.