SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a noob question on this - looking to the sages on here to offer their opinions on using an after market (Apex, ArmoryCraft, or GG) on an EDC P320C....
The vendors all say that their triggers are only recommended on range / comp guns. What would the reasons be for not using these on an EDC gun?
Too light of a trigger to ensure total control? Altered mechanics on the trigger / sear controls - and not as inherently safe?

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I tried Sig's enhanced trigger I'm my P320C, but decided it was too light for me.

I had installed their flat triggers in both my P320 and P365 and their operation felt the same and was consistent. Since I swap them as my EDC gun, I wanted to keep that consistency.

The last think I need is an early, ND in a stressful situation.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Using a flat trigger whether it be any of the aforementioned ones. Just gives the pistol a better consistent pull. I have the Sig flat trigger in both my standard P320's and love the way they feel.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guessing they say it for liability purposes, I have the armory craft on my p365, probably 500 rounds or so since I swapped the trigger and have had zero issues with the gun, it is also my go to carry gun

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have a GG hard duty on my EDC. I also have Apex on my others. Why GG over Apex? Well I could tell the Apex did not offer that little extra trigger drift to the wall. It is my belief that that small amount of extra take up would allow for a seconds worth of though prior to firing. That second will be the determining factor on whether I was making a wise decision. But that's just me. Seconds become minutes in ones mind during a FFC as everything slows down.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The lawyers may make a case if you changed parts in your EDC and had to use it, the gun is for my protection not a range gun or for competition this is just my opinion so this may not be an issue but I'll leave my EDC stock.

·
Registered
217 Posts
A justified self-defense shooting won’t be changed to a murder if you have a non-factory trigger. However the risk of an accidental discharge goes up unless you are very familiar with a lighter pull. And it’s not that heavy to begin with on a P320, I have five all with the flat triggers. Especially after a few thousand rounds through them, the trigger is fairly light and smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
A justified self-defense shooting won’t be changed to a murder if you have a non-factory trigger. However the risk of an accidental discharge goes up unless you are very familiar with a lighter pull. And it’s not that heavy to begin with on a P320, I have five all with the flat triggers. Especially after a few thousand rounds through them, the trigger is fairly light and smooth.

We have this discussion on a regular basis on this forum. You are being a little naive if you think your liability stops with with the DA. The snake that the thugs family hires to rob you blind, will absolutely use any advantage to empty your pockets. Do as you wish, but keep your eyes open to the big picture.

Reactions: ScottR65

·
Registered
217 Posts
We have this discussion on a regular basis on this forum. You are being a little naive if you think your liability stops with with the DA. The snake that the thugs family hires to rob you blind, will absolutely use any advantage to empty your pockets. Do as you wish, but keep your eyes open to the big picture.
I am fully aware of the frequent discussion on this. I didn’t cover every potential consequence so there’s no need to point out to me on how the private lawsuit will be filed no matter what, even if fully exonerated on the criminal side.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Only added the comment as to the civil liability threat because the earlier posts on this thread did not mention the criminal repercussions at all. Just trying to keep it on point. Having been in business for over 40 years, and having been hammered by the government on a regular basis, I still weigh my civil liability in all decisions. I walk away from more deals than I actually take, just because of liability issues. I do absolutely ZERO exterior renovations anywhere near Downtown. Too much risk for my comfort.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright guys - let's bring the focus back to the question at hand....
I think this is more of a question of - I would not use an aftermarket trigger on my EDC because:
1. Round accountability / shooting before I want to, or accidentally shooting when I didn't want to because of the lighter pull - and all the legal crap that can follow
2. Mechanical change to the factory trigger operation - Worried that I might shoot my junk off because its now sprung differently and not as inherently safe
3. Some other reason.
Or - I WOULD use an a/m trigger on my EDC because with enough training and discipline, the lighter triigger pull can be an advantage when it comes to lethal threat situation, AND I do not feel like a non-factory trigger is inherently less safe.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts

1. Round accountability / shooting before I want to, or accidentally shooting when I didn't want to because of the lighter pull - and all the legal crap that can follow
In addition, if you need a "special" trigger for a self defense situation you need more training with the "regular" trigger.

I need to add: I don't think an aftermarket trigger is bad. If I'm in a situation where I can't defend myself and/or my family I hope someone steps up. I hope they have whatever kind of trigger/mods/gun they're comfortable with.

·
🎖US Army Veteran Premium Member
2,631 Posts
A real benefit of an after market trigger is if you'll practice with the EDC more often because of it. If you don't like the feel of the OEM trigger, you're not going to want to practice and become proficient with the gun. I have an Armory Craft slightly curved trigger on my 365 and like the feel much more than the OEM.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Changing the triggers on a gun doesn't make it any less safe and it doesn't make you any more liable. If the gun discharges it was either a good shoot, a bad shoot or an ND. If it was a good shoot you'll eventually be vindicated no matter what you did or didn't do to your gun. If it was a bad shoot or an ND you're screwed no matter what you did or didn't do to your gun.

Having said that I don't change the triggers on any of my guns because I've never seen the need. Most stock triggers are perfectly usable as is. Some are better than others but a modicum of basic marksmanship, trigger control and practice is all that's required to achieve excellent range/self defense accuracy. The best thing you can do to make your gun more comfortable, more accurate and more enjoyable is to put more rounds down range. Adding a high speed, low drag trigger doesn't change that equation. It doesn't hurt it either and personal choice and preference is a good thing. However, don't make the mistake of thinking you have to have the latest and greatest trigger to have a perfectly useable, effective and accurate handgun.

Sig and the other manufacturers sort of know what they're doing and within cost restraints they usually put the most usable and effective trigger they can keeping in mind the guns intended use. There's a reason $400 striker fired guns don't have target triggers. The guns were designed to be self defense guns and the triggers they come with are perfectly adequate for that role. The after market marketing wizards will try to tell you otherwise but they're in the money making business too. They want to sell you what they make. That's not necessarily what you need. It might be, but not always. YMMV

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,290 Posts
I have the stock triggers on my P320 X-Compact and my P320 AXG Scorpion. The X-Compact has a trigger weight of 3 pounds 12 ounces and the AXG 2 pounds 14 ounces. I also own a Bul Armory SAS 11 Ultra Light 2011 with a trigger weight of 1 pound 14 ounces. Both the X-Compact and the SAS are my EDC's.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I have the stock triggers on my P320 X-Compact and my P320 AXG Scorpion. The X-Compact has a trigger weight of 3 pounds 12 ounces and the AXG 2 pounds 14 ounces. I also own a Bul Armory SAS 11 Ultra Light 2011 with a trigger weight of 1 pound 14 ounces. Both the X-Compact and the SAS are my EDC's.
As a result of this discussion I have contemplated whether the stock Sig flat trigger and factory RDS on my XCompact would be used by our activist Prosecutor as indication of prior intent. And whether modifying the action on my M11 would be worse.

Won’t matter. Every SD discharge is prior intent, because the aggressor is always a class victim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a result of this discussion I have contemplated whether he stock Sig flat trigger and factory RDS on my XCompact would be used by our activist Prosecutor as indication of prior intent.

Of course he would. Every SD discharge does, because the aggressor is always a class victim.

Can you provide a case for this, or anything like this ever being argued in court in a self defense shooting ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts