SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'd really like to get people's thoughts on choosing either a P238 or a P938 as an edc gun. I currently own a Shield 9mm, and after much deliberation I've decided I do not care for striker-fired guns nor guns with a polymer frame, so I'm selling my Shield and looking to replace it with an all metal, hammer-fired gun. Comfort is a factor for me, and my preferred method of carry is iwb. I tested out the P938 at my local range, and while it was by no means bad I definitely found it pretty snappy (I do understand that this is to be expected when you've got a 16oz gun firing 9mm rounds). Since it would be a carry gun I'm not super concerned with the felt recoil, still, I'd like to enjoy shooting any guns I own.
I've yet to test the P238, so any info folks could provide on that one would be welcome. And also just, what are your thoughts on the two models? Likes, dislikes, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Side note: If I were to get the P938 I'd probably lean towards the SAS model, and in regards to the P238...that Spartan really caught my eye. But specs say it's 20oz, a result of the frame being listed as steel I would assume. If anyone has the P238 Spartan, how does it carry and shoot? It's quite a bit more than the others so I'd be interested to hear an owners thoughts on it.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Btwn the two I would steer you to the P238. While you will find a loyal following here, the P938 has been plagued with problems since its release, and it continues to be today. IF you get a good one they tend to be reliable, but if you don't you're in for a long hard road to recovery, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I EDC a P239-40 most of the time. I have a P938 I carry when circumstances dictate. I bought my P938 gently used and other than having to loctite the guide rod, I've had ZERO function issues. My only gripe is the heavy trigger pull. I intend to fix that one of these days.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a p238 and carry it often. It is definitely a good gun to have as a pocketable gun is very useful when in business attire etc. It is very easy to rack (lighter spring then 938 etc) and is quite easy to shoot well. I like the stainless frame but the aluminum one I have is ok too (stainless is just a bit easier to refinish etc). Are your other guns single action or do you like double single? Another option overlooked quite often is the p239, can go 40/357/9 but will be easy to shoot and not much harder to conceal if using an iwb holster than the shield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
938 owner for over 2 years, and its been flawless with factory and range reloads, never had an issue with self defense ammo either.

My decision to choose it was stay with 9mm and not introduce a new caliber to my collection. 9mm and
.380 are essentially the same price and 9mm has the ballistic advantage. That being said, .380 is absolutely fine for its intended purpose.

Just my 2 cents, you can't go wrong. Awesome carry piece and recommend a kydex holster for IWB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a P938 SAS and have also fired a P238.

I don't find the P938 excessively snappy and it is very accurate for such a little gun. My LCP is way snappier. I have not had one issue with my P938 and it has eaten everything it has been fed.

The P238 is a little smaller and is also a dream to shoot and does less felt recoil. I don't really think it was enough to make me second guess getting the P938.

Either of these models will carry very easily IWB.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I currently own a Shield 9mm, and after much deliberation I've decided I do not care for striker-fired guns nor guns with a polymer frame, so I'm selling my Shield and looking to replace it with an all metal, hammer-fired gun.
Keep it. Shields have been selling cheap brand new so you won't get much for it, and after carrying around an all metal gun you may grow to appreciate polymer single stacks. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Welcome to Sig Talk!! Understand your concern carrying striker fired weapons. I was never comfortable re-holstering my Glocks & Walther, and reading/hearing too frequently of range accidents with those 'zipper line' wounds down someones leg lead my return to hammer guns years ago.

I'm a .380 & P938 fan, but only as a back-up or carry with very light apparel. My 938 is a daily carry during morning workouts, and some days as a pocket pistol just hanging around the house. It's not a pistol that gets a lot of range time rounds though. I'll run 20 or 30rds once a month, just to maintain confidence with her.

If I carried only one 9mm pistol, it's probably my P225-A1. This single stack 9mm is great fun shooting, small enough to conceal with most apparel - and handles 9mm +Ps with ease.

You mention comfort, which makes me think of another 9mm carry fav HK's P30SK. This pistol is nearly a half pound lighter than SIG's classic 'P' guns - and shoots very well. Trust me, you'll definitely notice a 6 or 8oz lighter weight in that IWB holster too!

P30SK is a poly frame gun, but I really luv shooting HK's LEM trigger system, and have several in 9mm and 45acp.

Both P225-A1 and HK P30SK are regular summer carries here. We make ~3 range trips a month running ~50+rds each. The 225 needed a lighter mainspring and SIG's AEP job to keep up with this HK, but they're now a couple of my very best shooters...

Cheers

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can't go wrong with either the P938 or the P238, both are fine EDC SAO pistols. I have a Spartan model P238. I love it. It is amazingly accurate at the range for 2.75" barrel. The added weight of all steel is an advantage at the range for a tad less felt recoil, but a disadvantage for EDC. The P238 is easy to pocket carry given its smaller size.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I have both and chose the 238 for my EDC. I carry it every day--sometimes as my only weapon with light dress and many times as a backup for situations when dress allows more firepower (like when wearing a jacket or pullover). I like the 238 as my "pocket pistol" for one simple reason--it is my favorite that fits in MY pocket. The 938 does not fit in MY pocket (I wear the same brand and type pants to work every day). My search for a pocket pistol was pretty simple--go around to gun shows and LGS and see which ones fit in my pocket and choose from there. I went with the 238. I have others that I like for various reasons but when all criteria are checked--the 238 has won out every time. I carry it front strong side pocket in a Desantis Superfly pocket holster. If the 938 had fit in my pockets, i likely would have chosen that model.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a P938 SAS and love it. My first carry gun was a Kahr P380 which I still own and shoot quite frequently and carry once in a while. When I carried it, I found that I started to prefer IWB over pocket carry. Well, I thought, if I'm going to carry IWB, I might as well get myself a larger gun and caliber. I ended up with the P938. IMHO if you're going to carry IWB you might as well go with the 9mm,P938. For the most part any problems have been worked out or identified and the P238 also can have problems. My sister just bought a P238 and it is on its way back due to the slide lock falling out (an identified issue).

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a P238 and find it very pleasurable to shoot. My variant is the Sport 12 which features a Hogue rubber grip with finger indents. Very comfortable, and I prefer to shoot it with the extended magazines to allow for pinky placement. It's essentially the same grip as in the P238 Army. Anyway, easy on the recoil and very accurate for a short barreled gun. .380 Hornady Custom XTP (JHP) ballistics are pretty darned good in short barrels, and can do a lot of damage. That's what I carry in this pistol, and do so in the AIWB position. Very comfortable and concealable.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've carried a P238 every weekday for the last four years. It's what Sig called the "Tactical" model at the time, meaning a combination of the Hogue rubber grip with finger grooves and the Sig Laser. I did have to return the Laser to Sig due to cutting off after shot recoil - they replaced it & I've had no further problems with it. I initially had to choose a smaller CCW due to my work place restrictions. But it's worked out very well: light & comfortable. Summer load out is Federal HST and Winter loads are Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator (Precision One or equivalent).
--
What we need is more unemployed politicians.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to thank everyone for all the great info you've been giving me. After thinking about the extra weight on the Spartan, I've decided that it probably wouldn't be a good fit due to comfort aspects (well that, and the price).
So now I think I'm down to deciding between the P238 SAS or the P938 SAS. I definitely still need to test a P238 before I make any decisions, and even after I do, and I feel like I've decided what I'm going to go with, I'm going to force myself to wait and think it over some more to be sure. Thanks again for all the input!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here 380 ammo is more than 9mm for sure, the P238 is more of a pleasure to shoot, but I like having a 9mm for IWB.

So I have one of each, 238 for pocket carry and 938 for IWB. Really cannot go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I do not think you can go wrong with either the P938 or p238. I think the recoil is very manageable on the P938. For not that much more money, you get a 9mm rather than a 380. The grip on the P938 is slightly larger making it more comfortable to grip and shoot, IMO. If you plan to shoot frequently, 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper than 380. Both carry very well IWB. As far as issues with the P938, I think Sig has finally resolved them. Mine was made in Jan 2017. I have 5-600 rnds of different brands of ammo through it w/o issue. Someone mentioned trigger pull. Sig states it to be 7-7.5 lbs. and it is when new out of the box. Most find that after a couple hundred rnds it drops to about 5.5lbs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I did a lot of research before purchasing a gun for EDC. I ended up coming back to the P938 time and time again. I carry OWB and a P938 is the best choice for me. I haven't a single problem with it since I purchased it...nothing at all, especially some of the problems you can find posted here. I love it. It is small enough to carry and not get annoying, yet packs a punch.

Test fire all that you can. Keep your current EDC because you might change your mind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So after everyone was so helpful, I wanted to post one more time with an update.
I went to the range after work today and the guys there were nice enough to let me rent both the P938 and P238 at the same time so I could get a direct comparison (normally you're not allowed to rent two at a time).
Obviously they're both great guns, and I shot them both pretty well, but that P238...so nice. I shot it better than the P938 and the recoil, it's practically non-existent. And the size, it's so tiny, and yet handling it isn't awkward at all. Gripping it, manipulating it, the thing handles like a much larger gun. It was awesome.
So...yea...I wasn't planning on this but...

I put a deposit down on a P238 SAS

1 - 20 of 27 Posts