SIG Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I need some help understanding the adjustable trigger system on the X5. I have an Entry model which had a fairly heavy trigger (it got better after 750 rounds, but still heavy). So I changed the locking insert and installed an adjustable trigger.

This made a huge improvement in the trigger location both by position and lack of slack. I reduced the height of the trigger stop screw in order to get the locking insert on, and have left the screw low. Am I right in thinking that this screw adjusts the trigger stop by touching the underside of the locking insert?

My main question is about the way that the trigger weight is changed. As I said my X5 had a heavy trigger to start with (somewhere around 5#), the new trigger seems to be only able to add weight (by tightening the force on a spring) and not reduce the overall weight. I am thinking that the adjustable trigger cannot reduce the inherent weight of a trigger unless the geometry of the trigger system is changed. Is this true, and if so, what else should I change to make the trigger lighter?

Sorry for such a long post, and I hope it makes sense. The trigger in all other aspects is excellent, just want to make it a bit lighter, 2# would be nice:)

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
I think only the L1 models can be reduced in pull weight.
I could be wrong though.
Your best option in my opinion would be to send it to a good gun smith in Canada, or to Robert Burke, The Sig Armorer, here in the states.
It'll be the best money you ever spent.
My Competition X5 was a little heavy too.
I sent it to Robert, and its incredible now.

·
🎖USA Veteran
56,563 Posts
thanks to jgus & oldsalt:cool:

X5 Trigger Adjustment Oldsalt Jgus

Jun 11

Oldsalt:
There are four adjustments that can be made. You need a 2mm and 2.5mm hex (allen) wrench to make the adjustments.

First is the adjustment of the trigger shoe. It can be moved forward or back. There is a 10mm adjustment range. You loosen the screw on the left side of the trigger with your 2.5mm wrench and then slide the shoe where you like. I recommend experimenting with this adjustment. Make sure the shoe is secured on the dovetail before tightening

Next are the adjustments for trigger pull weight, pre-travel and over-travel. Each are adjusted via a 2mm hex wrench

Trigger pull weight is adjusted through the top front of the trigger guard. screw inward (clockwise) to INCREASE trigger pull weight. Note this will also influence the rebound of the trigger.

Over-travel is adjusted through the hole in the bottom of the trigger guard. It must be set to allow some over-travel or the gun will not function. I have about .015" over-travel on my gun which leaves me a margin of safety. Screwing in CLOCKWISE shortens over-travel. Note that if the trigger shoe is set far back it will block access to the over-travel adjustment screw, as you can see in this pic. I have the trigger shoe set pretty far back...

The last adjustment is pre-travel. This is set at the factory. With the gun field stripped, you will see a set screw when looking down at the trigger group, just ahead of the locking block. Screwing in, CLOCKWISE shortens pre-travel. You MUST have adequate pre-travel of the trigger will not reset.

I do not have my trigger set at the very edge of function. I want reliability and safety. My trigger pull weight is 3# and that's as high as my well used X5 will go

Jgus:
In my opinion this is the best illustration and description I've seen on adjusting the trigger.

Trigger pull weight is adjusted through the top front of the trigger guard. Screws inward (clockwise) to INCREASE trigger pull weight. Note this will also influence the rebound of the trigger.

Over-travel is adjusted through the hole in the bottom of the trigger guard. It must be set to allow some over-travel or the gun will not function. I have about .015" over-travel on my gun which leaves me a margin of safety. Screwing in CLOCKWISE shortens over-travel. Note that if the trigger shoe is set far back it will block access to the over-travel adjustment screw, as you can see in this pic. I have the trigger shoe set pretty far back...

The last adjustment is pre-travel. This is set at the factory. With the gun field stripped, you will see a set screw when looking down at the trigger group, just ahead of the locking block. Screwing in, CLOCKWISE shortens pre-travel. You MUST have adequate pre-travel of the trigger will not reset.

And lastly, the adjustment of the trigger shoe. It can be moved forward or back. There is a 10mm adjustment range. You loosen the screw on the left side of the trigger with your 2.5mm wrench, then slide the shoe where you like. I recommend experimenting with this adjustment. Make sure the shoe is secured on the dovetail before tightening.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My X5 Comp trigger had a lot of take-up, and a fairly heavy (4.5 lbs), but crisp, break. My solution was to send the gun to Robert Burke. The result:

Much less take-up.
Crisp, creepless 2-1/4 lb break.
1/32" (at most) over travel.
Very short & very crisp reset.

Robert also offered to move the break point rearward, but I liked it just as it was.

Edit: Robert achieved the 2-1/4 lb break without weakening the mainspring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.