SIG Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My father-in-law has an X5e that he is having extractor problems with. (that makes it the new style extractor) I realize FTEs are not always extractor related, but using the trick of stripping the slide and putting a round under the extractor, it seems clear that the problem is a weak extractor. I realize the extractor can be replaced, but I'm interested if there is anyone that can remove and adjust an X5 extractor like you would with a 1911. I would try and pull it out, but it seems to need some kind of special tool.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just out of curiosity, how many rounds has he logged before having problems?
About 2500 rounds, but the problem didn't start until after he was trying to clear a stuck round by closing the chamber on an empty round. So I think that was the real problem.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Oak, They are tricky to get out, but they can definitely removed and adjusted. SIG does not recommend reinstalling that style extractor once removed, but it worked without issue for me.. Somebody probably has a video on You Tube that would show it better than I could explain the procedure. I had the first model X-5 Allround in 9MM. Apparently the 9MMs were the ones reported to have extractor problems. Mine never failed to extract, but it did chip an extractor early on. Only discovered it when cleaning the gun after a range trip. It used the same extractor as the internal extractor P-220s. Anyway, rather than send it in, I installed the new extractor, which also chipped on the first trip to the range. I was a LE armorer for SIGs, Colts, etc. and decided to bevel and polish the lower extractor hooks on both, just as we do with 1911 pistols. Tested both extractors afterwards. Both extracted flawlessly, and never chipped again. I tend to run as much tension on spring steel extractors as I can get away with, without causing feeding issues. I know they came out with that new style extractor that was supposed to cure the extraction problems and I would think it could probably beveled , polished and adjusted in a similar fashion, that is unless the spring has actually gone out of the metal itself.......

·
Registered
7,425 Posts

In Russia, extractor remove you!

Exactly the same.

Reactions: FdlH
1 - 7 of 7 Posts