SIG Talk banner

Adjustable Sights for P229

611 14
Anyone install adjustable rear sights on their P2xx. I’m looking at LPA as I have had great success with them on a SW 627. Looking at their night sights for a P229. Hoping to get closer to a center hold vs Sig std combat hold. Will be running both .40 and .357 Sig barrels using the .357 to zero the sights. Have my 1991 set up for center and my Swiss P210-6 is 6 o’clock hold. Figure modding the 229 this way will help reduce the deviation in hold between the three guns. Thoughts?
Reactions: hauki
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,087 Posts
I really don't know what you are looking for here... you have stated the obvious, with an adjustable sight, you can adjust it to choose your hold. Of course, you haven't mentioned at what predetermined range this will be at.

Again, after swapping Barrels to another caliber, besides possible elevation differences between the 2 calibers, due to their trajectories, you have to consider the fitting of the barrel itself to the slide. Minor inconsistencies between 2 barrels of the same caliber, due to just tolerances, may prevent them from sharing the same sight settings, once properly fitted.

If this is the type of response, you were looking for, then I'm glad to have helped.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The closest I found was a set made by LPA. They are well made sights but the rear overhangs the back of the slide. Another thought would be to have the slide milled to accept the sight plate from the X-5 Legion, which has an adjustable sight.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was going to suggest the adj sights used in the P229 .22.....I took a look at mine, and whatdoyaknow, they're made by LPA! They do use a different slide cut than the centerfire slides.
Lots of choices:

·
Registered
403 Posts
In that case you might need to get the dovetail recut. They list that one for the Baretta 92. This one is what I tried on a P320F. It hung over the back of the slide by a solid 1/4".
Another option would be to contact Dawson Precision and tell them what you want to achieve. They can make you a set that will.put your point of impact where you want it but they will still be fixed sights. You have have to send them the slide and specify a bullet weight to get it exactly right.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi jdpavelec,

What's the intended purpose for your P229? Are you mostly a target shooter? Are you sure you need adjustable sights?

I was perfectly good with standard sights on my P229 .40 S&W. It was an on-duty cop gun. Out to 10', it was all shoulder point. Out to 15 yards, it was front sight only. In gunfights, a bad guy would be trying to kill a good guy. At distances of most gunfights, cops can't waste precious time aligning sights because a bad guy's rounds are heading his way. He must use front sight only while moving out of a bad guy's sight picture. Now that I'm honorably retired, I don't have to engage. Believe me, I'd rather hightail it to the next county than engage. Taking rounds could cause my corpse to be autopsied the following morning, I'd rather be fishing than reduced to evidence.

My new M11-A1 came with night sights. I'm good with them. I can't see myself using them. Except on lighted ranges, I do not shoot at night. For self-defense purposes, at in-home nighttime distances, it'd be all point shooting assuming, of course, hightailing would not be an option.

Point shooting is conditioned response tactical training not to be confused with target shooting. I can still score center mass hits out to 10' using shoulder point. The more you train, the less you'll rely on sights. Now for target shooting and competition shooting where precision could mean taking home trophies, I can see utility of adjustable sights.

Here's a good rule-of-thumb for me that might be useful for you: if I have to align sights on a bad guy who wants me horizontal, I'd probably be at a distance that would enable me to scram and let professionals perform their profession.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What an excellent post, thank you for pointing out that I’m probably overthinking this. I’ve been a casual shooter for 25 yrs first with revolvers then with a 1911, occasionally with a Swiss P210. When my father passed away last year, I inherited some of his guns as well as his penchant for competition and have since bought and tuned a P226 and P320. The P229 is meant to qualify for CCW and train with as appropriate. I’m used to center hold on the 1911, 6 o’clock on the P210 and my other Sigs have RDS. My Dad raced about his 229 as his carry gun in 40. So the 229 I’m getting is to honor him in that way. I won’t EDC but I do want to be able to swap between .357 Sig and .40. Rationale behind adjustable sights is to move the hold from combat to center zeroed on .357 and get comfortable with the different POI on .40. Your comments and some others are showing me that I’m overthinking that and should train at distances shorter than my range guns. Thank you.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Since you'll be running both 40 and 357 barrels, expect to see a difference in POA/POI between the two. At typical target distances, this is not due so much to bullet drop, as it is to JM Browning's short recoil action design. This design has the slide and barrel traveling back a short distance together while the barrel rear tilts down to unlock the breech (same effect on bullet as would tilting up the muzzle end. This tilting action has more impact on slower moving bullets, as they are in the tilting barrel for a longer, albeit still quite short, period of time that is the faster bullet. This should be apparent on the target paper and is the reason SIG uses different sight height numbers for 9/357 vs the slower 40.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi jdpavelec,

What's the intended purpose for your P229? Are you mostly a target shooter? Are you sure you need adjustable sights?

I was perfectly good with standard sights on my P229 .40 S&W. It was an on-duty cop gun. Out to 10', it was all shoulder point. Out to 15 yards, it was front sight only. In gunfights, a bad guy would be trying to kill a good guy. At distances of most gunfights, cops can't waste precious time aligning sights because a bad guy's rounds are heading his way. He must use front sight only while moving out of a bad guy's sight picture. Now that I'm honorably retired, I don't have to engage. Believe me, I'd rather hightail it to the next county than engage. Taking rounds could cause my corpse to be autopsied the following morning, I'd rather be fishing than reduced to evidence.

My new M11-A1 came with night sights. I'm good with them. I can't see myself using them. Except on lighted ranges, I do not shoot at night. For self-defense purposes, at in-home nighttime distances, it'd be all point shooting assuming, of course, hightailing would not be an option.

Point shooting is conditioned response tactical training not to be confused with target shooting. I can still score center mass hits out to 10' using shoulder point. The more you train, the less you'll rely on sights. Now for target shooting and competition shooting where precision could mean taking home trophies, I can see utility of adjustable sights.

Here's a good rule-of-thumb for me that might be useful for you: if I have to align sights on a bad guy who wants me horizontal, I'd probably be at a distance that would enable me to scram and let professionals perform their profession.
Well
Hi jdpavelec,

Well-put, sir. I’ve always though adjustable sights on a handgun were more trouble than they were worth. And, yes, I have had adjustable sights on various revolvers and pistols.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,087 Posts
There are several brands that have a brightly colored ring around the front sights tritium insert, and black rings around the rear sights inserts. Choose the best color front sight "ring" that quickly gains your attention. That will be your best option for normal lighting conditions during the day.

In my case, the Orange, is the best for me, but others favor the Lime Green option, most manufacturers have used as options.

Trijicon, Meprolight, Ameriglo, and Night Fision, as well as probably others have versions of these style sights available. Only you can determine what is the best color for you, then shop around, for the best deal. If you don't have a sight tool, check with your local gunsmith, to see which brands he may be able to get with these features.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hi jdpavelec,

^^^^^ yes. 100% ^^^^^
The confusion over sights is probably the most important thing that sells gadgets though. Justification for gadgets causes us to search for reasons we need them. At this point the self defense horse gets trotted out of the barn.

I like shooting slow fire bullseye targets as much as the next guy. It's satisfying to put a hole in the target at longer hand gun distance. That should be enough. I don't need to concoct up some tacticool wet dream of being in a running gun battle with a gang of snipers amped up on Mountain Dew. High capacity magazines and glow in the dark sights? Baby please. Buy that stuff because it's cool.

Point shooting at close range. That's the bread and butter of a self defense pistol.

Well said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts