SIG Talk banner

Action Enhancement package or...???

5116 24
I have two DA/SA 229s (An M11-A1 and a P229C/.40). The DA pull on both of them is way heavier than I'd like. I'm interested in the Action Enhancement package (AEP) that is being discounted for Father's Day. Sig states that AEP lightens the DA pull, but they don't say how much...anyone know? Robert Burke provides much more info on his packages, but they are more expensive, especially now when Sig is having a sale. $$ is an issue right now

Thoughts?
Reactions: kansascity45
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Get a lighter hammer spring. It costs under $10 and is the only way to lighten the pull weight. A trigger job might make it smoother but shouldn't make it lighter. I wouldn't recommend a 17# spring (I use one, no malfunctions 1000+ rounds in) if you plan to carry it. Wolff makes a pack that has a 17, 18, and 19# spring.

Reactions: JakeAU24

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
I echo jkao42. Try a simple little step first just to see if that does it for you. Then, if it doesn't, get the package. You may like the simple step or you may not, but at least you will know, and that is time well spent as I see it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I put the 18 lb Wolff spring in my 226, and it made a noticeable difference. Easy/cheap upgrades are the best ones. I haven't used a scale on my trigger, but it feels around 2 lbs lighter.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I would love to send my p229 to the Custom Shop, and save a lot. But, they told me over the phone just now, that they cannot get the creep out of the trigger.
To me, it's completely useless to send it to them.
Unless, of course, my p229 had no creep tp begin with.
However, if she had no creep to begin with, I wouldn't send her out anyways.
But, I wander, are there any members here that have sent their p series sig to the custom shop for the action enhancement package - because your sig had creep, and furthermore, was the sig custom shop able to get rid of all the creep. Did the trigger have a very clean break as compared to before?
Reason I ask is because I sometimes wander if the guys that answer the phone at sig really know the difference between creep and pre travel/ take up.
Thanx fellas

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would love to send my p229 to the Custom Shop, and save a lot. But, they told me over the phone just now, that they cannot get the creep out of the trigger.
To me, it's completely useless to send it to them.
Unless, of course, my p229 had no creep tp begin with.
However, if she had no creep to begin with, I wouldn't send her out anyways.
But, I wander, are there any members here that have sent their p series sig to the custom shop for the action enhancement package - because your sig had creep, and furthermore, was the sig custom shop able to get rid of all the creep. Did the trigger have a very clean break as compared to before?
Reason I ask is because I sometimes wander if the guys that answer the phone at sig really know the difference between creep and pre travel/ take up.
Thanx fellas
There are a lot of alternatives to the Sig custom shop. Gray guns is another popular alternative. You can even install their trigger job yourself without much trouble.
Personally, I would take it to a certified Sig armorer or a gunsmith you trust. I've always like gunsmiths I know because I can tell them exactly what I want and show them so they understand what I'm talking about. Plus you save on shipping and they tend to be cheaper.

·
Banned
7,265 Posts
Ferrari Steve pens good articles. :D

If money is an issue I'd start with a spring. We just did the wife's 225 and the difference was enough to make her happy. She's not one to over analyze the mechanics involved. She shot her gun, then shot mine, then shot hers. Put her 225 down, pointed to one of my custom shop platforms and stated, "make it like that one." Installed the 17lb wolfe. back to the range. she shot her's, shot mine, shot her's and said, "Thank you." <--that's called wining btw :cool:

Our next sig project will be an Armory Craft trigger on a 226 Scorpion.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Sent my P225-A1 to SIG last June for AEP. I've also installed 17, 18 & 19lb mainsprings in most of my SIGs. Target guns like the 5" P220 Match Elite get 17lb, and while I've never had a failure with these lighter springs, I don't CCW 17lbers.

May experience with AEP has been very positive. This gun started with pull weights of 11lbs 8ozs DA and 5lbs 4ozs SA - with the OEM spring. After AEP, she's a smooth 8lbs 1oz DA and 3lbs 1oz - with a 19lb mainspring.

For perspective, my M11-A1 with Wolff's 17lb spring has 10lbs 3ozs DA and 4lbs 9ozs SA trigger. This is much better than its original 12lbs DA and the action is OK, but not great.

AEP's smooth DA trigger take-up is the same length, with some wall pressure before braking. For comparison, the more expensive triggers in my Legion and the 2 pistols I've installed GrayGuns P-PAK kits have very similar pull weights, but the DA brake as little pre-brake pressure.

So until you shoot them a lot, these guns' DA trigger brake is a surprise. It's sort'a humbling to see how consistently better my DA shots are with these unexpected brakes too!

I like a smooth & light trigger, but don't want to carry a weapon with any chance of a light primer strike either. So, for me SIG's AEP provides a nice trigger, at a very reasonable price - while still running a reliable 19lbs mainspring.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
There are a lot of alternatives to the Sig custom shop. Gray guns is another popular alternative. You can even install their trigger job yourself without much trouble.
Personally, I would take it to a certified Sig armorer or a gunsmith you trust. I've always like gunsmiths I know because I can tell them exactly what I want and show them so they understand what I'm talking about. Plus you save on shipping and they tend to be cheaper.
Ill send her to Robert Burke.
Was just wandering if the Custom Shop has ever gotten the creep out of a trigger. But them telling me they cant should be answer enough lol.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
This is a no brainer for me. All of my SIGs have it, either through the Sig Custom Shop or Burke, or Holm. People think it'll come up in court if you have a "trigger job", but it's a flimsy argument to NOT have one. The pros outweigh the cons. It's nominal and pays for itself if you plan to own the gun forever, and [also] if you have arthritis it keeps you shooting longer. Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
16,863 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Creep After AEP

My 229 has the slightest amount of creep after AEP. Thought it was the best until I installed an Apex duty/carry on my Shield 40. Shield trigger better. Don't know how to get rid of creep on my 229, but I use it to pre-stage my break for accurate shots. Lighter (Wolfe) hammer spring on the 229 is a joy.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
My 229 has the slightest amount of creep after AEP. Thought it was the best until I installed an Apex duty/carry on my Shield 40. Shield trigger better. Don't know how to get rid of creep on my 229, but I use it to pre-stage my break for accurate shots. Lighter (Wolfe) hammer spring on the 229 is a joy.
Robert Burke, The Sig Armorer, can get rid of that creep in your 229.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.