SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sig P226 Mk 25 is shooting around a 3 to 4 inch group size @ 25 yards.

Does anyone know of any upgraded parts to help reduce group size without any gunsmithing required?

I'm thinking of things like changing bushings or lowering the hammer spring pressure on a 1911 style pistol.

Nothing too elaborate, just simple little tweaks any owner can do.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
If you are getting consistent 3 -4 inches, I would be happy for that in a Combat gun.

Point to your nose. Draw a 2 inch circle. Did you miss anything?

You could try different ammo, but frankly, the 3 inch circle test is a great way to evaluate a combat piece. If it will put every shot there time after time, you are doing good.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Ammo can have a noticeable difference on accuracy. Not sure what ammo you have tried but even between range ammo there can be a difference with what a gun likes. Expensive SD ammo often improves results also.

I can't see how a different hammer spring can change mechanical accuracy on a P226.

Reactions: Sigsauer7

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
The "no gunsmithing required" does limit the options. As USMC6872 says, 3" is pretty good. I'd have a tough time doing better given the "combat" sight picture.

There are no bushings etc. I'm aware of. For a combat type gun, SIGs are pretty tight going in and are known for their accuracy at combat ranges and beyond. So the next area to address is the trigger. As delivered, the DA pull is a little on the heavy side and SA, while not heavy, may not be as light as you'd like and has some overtravel. The Classic P-Series can be made to have an SA trigger as good as a custom 1911 - - but that takes a gunsmith, there's still hope, but it ain't cheap and they are back ordered . . .

If you can do a detail strip, then drop in components such as GGI's hammer/sear/trigger upgrade (all machined and fitted parts) might do.

·
Registered
11,127 Posts
Welcome from PA!

My Legion P226 is the most accurate 9mm in collection. Not sure if you can improve the inards to improve accuracy. 226s are legendary guns. Just practice shooting, a lot!!!!

Reactions: Spiritfox

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
The hammer spring approach could improve your accuracy a bit but not the pistol's accuracy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't done anything to the Sig yet.
I did change the hammer spring on my 1911.
You're right, didn't help the gun any, but the lighter hammer spring made the trigger pull lighter and smoother which helped me shoot better.

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
Maybe sights that would increase the radius?
Grips that fit you better?

Reactions: DirtyRob

·
Registered
284 Posts
Like SigAams228 said, replace the ammo. Is the ammo reloaded or factory? Have you tested the gun from a Ransom Rest or something similar?

If you can, swag the barrel and measure it if it's .355 or .356. Then measure the bullets and see if they are .355 or .356.

But first of all I would try a few different brands of ammo.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Welcome from the Florida spacecoast. My most accurate gun for me. I'm certainly not a great shooter by any means but I always leave the range a little happier after shooting my 226s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Welcome!

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,444 Posts
Were those 3" to 4" groups at 25 yards for 15 rounds from a "Ransom Rest", "2 handed rest", or "Off hand unsupported"?
Double Action only, Single Action only, or combination?
Seriously, that's not bad for a combat/self defense weapon, off hand, unsupported with a double action first round, and single action follow-ups.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was shooting 10 round groups at 25 yards, all single action, hand held, but rested on a sand bag, no Ransom rest. Ammo was retail 115 gr FMJ.

I just wondered if there's any simple kind of "tuning" I can do without help from a gunsmith to do even better. I did change the grips to the new E2 design and the E2 grip seems to fit my hand a little better.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,444 Posts
The only "tuning" I could suggest, is to try a couple of different weights such as 124, and 147 grain loads, and see if your pistol favors a weight category other than 115 grains.
Then practice often. Not knowing your "Target", insure that you have a "returnable" aiming point, and concentrate on that front sight, focusing on it, and not the target.
It's hard to do, more so the older you get. That's why some of us need glasses to focus on the front sight. Because if we don't, it doesn't matter how accurate the weapon is, if we can't be consistant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your reply,
Sounds like there is no common "tweaks" that people do on their Sig 226 guns like it's common to do on a 1911.

Maybe this is part of the difference between a combat gun and a target gun.

You're right about the eyes and the front sight. Some days I'm sure my accuracy depends more on my being able to have a clear sight picture and focus properly on the front sight.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out why this post is in the Gunsmithing Forum?:confused:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Your own training aside ...

You can use solid/weighted guide rods ... Though your gun is likely steel and heavy enough as is?
Grips can be big. You should be holding it a certain way anyways, but a grip can invite you to hold it high on it's own.
Trigger if you don't count that as "gunsmithing". Most people can drop in those components on their own.
Ammo! (as others have previously stated)
May be ugly but ... Depending on the model you can drop in a new barrel with longer length or screw on a compensator of some sort (you will probably get flak or sneers for it ... But throwing out all options here! Haha)
Sights could help, again will not make the pistol itself more accurate ... But may invite you to shoot it better. Maybe higher contrast or even adjustable. If you're compensating for some misalignment by eye then there's room for some improvement there too.

Personally I'm with the combat pistol class crowd and wouldn't do these to my model. But if I were shooting some other target pistol ... Seeing upgrades like I've mentioned above is pretty commonplace among the competition crowd. Those guys do some pretty horrendous things to their rigs sometimes, but they also don't usually do it to a 226. Can get more bang for your buck out of upgrades like that on other pistols, but the mechanics behind them are the same.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts