SIG Talk banner

How do you handle a busybody or store security?

• Ignore the questioner and carry on.

Votes: 107 56.3%
  • Ignore him and leave the store.

Votes: 40 21.1%
  • Engage him with friendly banter, hoping he'll think you're harmless, get bored, and walk away.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • Tell him you're undercover and to move on.

Votes: 6 3.2%
161 - 180 of 191 Posts

· Registered
4,560 Posts
Tell me why everything else is a protected class? Color Race religion homosexuality drag queens Etc, but normal Americans with normal values carrying legal firearms with a legal permit are different! I am absolutely constitutionally protected under the Second Amendment! If somebody tries to throw me out of their store for carrying a gun that's discrimination. Just the same as if I was black gay transgender or whatever! The sign that says we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone means nothing! That can be used to discriminate for any reason the proprietor chooses, so if that doesn't apply to black gay drag queen transgender Etc then it does not apply to me either! Let It Go man!
View attachment 481641
I agree with how you feel but the fact is, there are legally protected groups and non protected groups. We may not agree and it may not be fair, but it is. If a business is anti 2A and/or anti LE I punish them by spending my money elsewhere and spreading the word. Fortunately, I have yet to encounter a business like this. I have entered businesses with no firearms signs but I’m carrying concealed so I disregard.

· Registered
560 Posts
Being an Leo is not a protected class so it is different. It is illegal for a business to refuse service based on race gender religion and sexual orientation. But a profession is not a protected class. It’s not about agreeing or disagreeing. It’s about what the law states. I don’t support business that would bar officers entry or ccw holders entry. But my opinion doesn’t change the law. I also support property rights something you don’t seem to support. If a buisness owner chooses to bar you entry while you are carrying and you refuse to leave you will be arrested for criminal trespass at the very least. If you hurt them while they are using reasonable force to remove you or detain you for the police you can be charged with assault as well. You can’t just do what ever you want on someone else’s property.

That's a no **** sherlock statement if there ever was one..........and a verbose one at that , and one to avoid the direct query put forth as regards your rather weird opinions that you seem to feel hold some sort of " force of law ".

Here's some food for thought for you. Did it ever occur to you that there may well be a whole slew of retired L/E in this forum? Along with some that are still working?

Makes quite a statement when someone who claims to be a working L/E member from a notable state treats a whole thread full of such folks in a pompous and overbearing manner.

Reiteration of practices and statutes that we all already know as if you were speaking to imbecilic children may well not be the most productive of approaches. Who knows but what you might run into someone willing to run down specific case law on " citizens arrest" and some of the other facets.

Including address of what happens when someone injures/assaults another during a " citizens arrest" that turns out to be unjustified , and when defensive measures against such an act may be taken.

Guess what , whether you like it or not some of us are not about to submit to hoplophobe citizens based upon a given sidearm " printing". Nor will some of us submit to non sworn socalled " security" when we have done nothing wrong.

Furthermore , as long as leaving a given premises as directed...........nobody but sworn L/E has any right to detainment of the individual unless said individual has committed a crime , i.e. theft , assault etc.etc.

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I agree with how you feel but the fact is, there are legally protected groups and non protected groups. We may not agree and it may not be fair, but it is. If a business is anti 2A and/or anti LE I punish them by spending my money elsewhere and spreading the word. Fortunately, I have yet to encounter a business like this. I have entered businesses with no firearms signs but I’m carrying concealed so I disregard.
Of course I understand that I'm mostly being outrageous here. But my point stands. Choosing who is or isn't a protected class is in itself discrimination. Just the same as hate speech, or hate crimes! We could go all day on that one alone. I'm just guessing here but I would venture to say that 90% of all state laws under the 10th Amendment are unconstitutional, and I'm not just talking about Firearms laws. I am not a Republican, nor a libertarian, and certainly not a democrat! I am a constitutional conservative! That document aligned with the Ten Commandments runs my show. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed of my beliefs, I am extremely opinionated, I generally keep my opinions to myself,not because I can't do Battle On Any Given subject. But because I understand that other people have their opinions and beliefs and I do not want to challenge what I feel is pure ignorance of fact, god, Human Nature, and Common Sense!

· Registered
44 Posts
I don't think that is quite correct. If a business detains you, they are opening themselves up to a charge of "slavery"/kidnapping/imprisonment. Our Constitution Rights are inherent, natural, God-given Rights that we carry with us 24 hours a day.
This sounds like legal advice (incorrect, by the way) from somebody who is not qualified or licensed to give legal advice.

The rights of a private business owner in his or her property are pretty substantial. And the 4th Amendment has nothing to do with them.

· Registered
P365X
26 Posts
Concealed means concealed. Show respect and courtesy until you’re forced in a different direction (and you’ve exhausted the option of leaving the situation).

I’ll agree with the posts on here that suggest your untucked shirt and 5.11 pants aren’t concealing things as well as you think they are.

· Registered
34 Posts
Tell me why everything else is a protected class? Color Race religion homosexuality drag queens Etc, but normal Americans with normal values carrying legal firearms with a legal permit are different! I am absolutely constitutionally protected under the Second Amendment! If somebody tries to throw me out of their store for carrying a gun that's discrimination. Just the same as if I was black gay transgender or whatever! The sign that says we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone means nothing! That can be used to discriminate for any reason the proprietor chooses, so if that doesn't apply to black gay drag queen transgender Etc then it does not apply to me either! Let It Go man!
View attachment 481641
Sorry no the court determines what is a protected class. Yes business owners can descriminate against you on the basis of you being armed and it’s legal for them to do so. Property owners rights matter just as much as our 2nd amendment rights.

· Registered
41 Posts
I found this story online. Wondering who among us may have had experiences like this (edited below), and how you handled it ...

[The original writer has] been stopped at schools, and a few businesses and asked if I have a gun in [a belt pouch]. Everytime I get stopped it is recognized as an "AMMO Pouch". "Is that an ammo pouch"? I used to be happy to say yes. At a school I was told to leave and remove it before I was allowed in. ... I need my meds .... They, for some reason, think that because they recognize it as an ammo pouch that is magically turns into a holster and they become stupid as a result. ... At the schools I consent to search, since it is their right to ask and I need to do my job ... [While shopping at] a ****, what I thought was another shopper stopped me and asked me in a friendly manner if what I had there was an ammo pouch. I was excited to share what essentially I'm using as a man's purse. He then changed his tone, after I pulled out my phone to show him how big the pocket was. I placed my whole hand in the pouch and retrieved the phone. He took a defensive sideways stance and asked, "is there a gun in there?" Still thinking it was another shopper I said, "there might be." He asked to see it and I said I wasn't going to pull a gun out in the store. He then asked me to leave the store and it was then revealed he was a plain clothed security guy who normally deals with shoplifters. The police were not called or anything but I have a rule. NEVER say you don't have a gun unless it is a perjury offence. This tactic becomes dicey on the new medical forms, they don't care about my pool as a threat to my children but they ask me about my guns every time. Do you have any guns? Yes. Do you lock them up and keep the ammo separate from the gun? No. After the hair pulling and the gnashing of teeth where this non medical line of questioning comes from, I inform them that they need a better question. I might just be locking up the ammo, or locking them up together, unloaded. The only way they are going to know is to try a little home invasion.

So, how do you handle a busybody or store security? Take the poll ...
I DONT ANSWER QUESTIONS. SIMPLE, SHORT aND SWEET F em.

· Registered
6 Posts
I don't have time read all the comments. Pardon if this is repeated information. I chose the first option. Then ... If the person persists, I choose the 3rd.

#1 thing to consider ... know your local CCDW laws! If you are carrying legally, then you don't have to do anything that law doesn't require. If an individual or store security is out of line, call 911. You are being harassed.

In some jurisdictions - if you're carrying within a private establishment, if someone notices your weapon and reports to management ... If management asks you not to bring your firearm inside, that equates the same as them posting a no-firearms sign at their entrance. Either safely lock your firearm in your vehicle or leave.

· Registered
560 Posts
Private companies can set up screening and deny you entry if you don’t submit. There is also citizens arrest.
Perhaps YOU need to read up on the relevant laws as regards " citizens arrest".............along with perhaps becoming aware that YOU are far from the only individual within the thread that has L/E experience.

That theoretical " citizens arrest" over someone legally carrying a sidearm wouldn't go over real well here.

· Premium Member
435 Posts
ASK QUESTIONS about everything!
Remember the little who ask, "Why?", until their parents are paralyzed?
I hope that this is not a stupid or insensitive question, but if someone is deaf, do they still wear ear muffs at a range?

• Wow
Reactions: TerminalSigness
161 - 180 of 191 Posts